Author Topic: GOP Senator Asks Trump If He’s ‘Recanting’ Constitutional Oath  (Read 5802 times)

Offline DiogenesLamp

Re: GOP Senator Asks Trump If He’s ‘Recanting’ Constitutional Oath
« Reply #150 on: October 12, 2017, 06:45:59 pm »
The real question is, is there any Constitutional permission for the federal government to restrict broadcasting, or can anyone just put up a giant jammer?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communications_Act_of_1934

While i'm at it,  the "equal time"  rule was created by the "Radio Act of 1927".

The equal-time rule was created because the FCC was concerned that broadcast stations could easily manipulate the outcome of elections by presenting just one point of view, and excluding other candidates.

Manipulate the outcome of elections?   Nooooooooo!!!!!!   You don't say!   

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #151 on: October 12, 2017, 06:49:20 pm »
Ah, that great Conservative principle...Affirmative Action!

22222frying pan :chairbang:   *****rollingeyes*****

Keep up.  The point in presenting that idea was to demonstrate that the task of balancing the leftest propaganda could be accomplished without government censorship.   (Which was the detail being discussed at the time.) 

If it could be accomplished in this manner,   perhaps it could be accomplished in another manner of which you can speak?   

How about it?  Rather than taking pot shots,  can you come up with another idea for correcting the problem without government censorship?   

(And remember,  doing nothing is not fixing the problem.)   

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline Ancient

« Reply #152 on: October 12, 2017, 06:51:24 pm »
Remember  the clintons and “hate radio”?  Remember the FCC wanting to regulate drudge?  Remember “localism” wanting to shut down conservative stations?  Remember net neutrality being a threat to conservative internet news?  Remember FaceTwitTube censoring conservatives when urged by liberals?  Remember colleges abandoning their commitment to the market place of ideas and the war of words rather than antifa thugs?

There is the principal of how things should be and the laws as they are.  Allowing one side to use the law to persecute but not the other is a recipient for more bad laws.  The best way to remove a bad law is to enforce it.  If the left wants to regulate speech, they need to feel the pain of that type of regulation.  Only then will they squeal and come to the table to change it.

Anyone who sat out the list of violations I referenced above lost the high ground.  Anyone who stands on principal should have issues with news companies needing licenses in the first place.

Offline Ancient

« Reply #153 on: October 12, 2017, 07:00:42 pm »

Compared to what we have now,  what is the downside?   We get "equal time" non censored access to the broadcasting infrastructure,  and that is supposed to be bad somehow? 

How is it that bad?
The game would be rigged.  The label of fairness only means something if the content is fair as well.
The liberals complained about Fox News having token liberals who’s job was to lose debates.  I remember PBS having debates between shields (the liberal) and gurgen (fake conservative).  Years later conservative gurgen was working for the Clinton admin.

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #154 on: October 12, 2017, 07:02:13 pm »
Ah, so you don't think there's any propaganda in entertainment?  You think that entertainment is blatant in advertising itself as propaganda?

Wow.

That strawman can sometimes say some very astonishing things,  can't he?   Of course they aren't astonishing to you,  because you are the one thinking up the outrageous things that you stuff into the strawman's mouth.   

I said "Music"  you changed the word to "entertainment"  and then you hammered me for saying something ridiculous about "entertainment."    Dishonest tactic that.   

How much does "Music"  influence the voting public?    What threat is it to the integrity of our elections? 

And who do you want to set up as the rulers who decide what we're allowed to hear.  Who are these élite who are so much smarter than the people themselves? 

Strawman talking again,  is he?  You should stop putting words in his mouth and then claiming I said them.   

Didn't say anything about censoring anyone.   Have been completely focused on stopping the existing censorship.    Should I follow your dishonest approach to arguing and frame it as "Why are you supporting Censorship?"     Why do you favor allowing these elite rulers to decide what we are allowed to hear?"   

Stop doing that to me,  and I won't do it to you. 

The Communists and Fascists of the 20th Century have grand examples.

They do,  but their followers have learned better techniques for achieving the same results.   Namely creating a monopoly of the public airwaves,  and then using it exclusively to control what the public is allowed to hear. 

Do you support these followers of Fascism and Communism in their efforts to censor news and feed us propaganda? 

Why are you supporting censorship and propaganda?  What kind of conservative are you? 

(See how this crap works?  I turn your false accusations right back on you.)   

Shall we use their wisdom, or do you have some other plan for putting wax in Americans' ears until they get the government-approved message?

Why are you supporting the voters only getting the government approved message?  Why do you  not want to let the people hear all the facts?  Why do you support government propaganda and censorship?   

Stop supporting Censorship!  Stop helping the Fascists! 

(I can keep this up as long as you can.)   
— Lord Melbourne —

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #155 on: October 12, 2017, 07:05:13 pm »

So basically you want a Fascist government of Homosexuals and Abortion providers ran from New York and San Fransisco. 

See,  two can play this game.

I want a small limited Government that is neutral.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #156 on: October 12, 2017, 07:10:24 pm »

There is the principal of how things should be and the laws as they are.  Allowing one side to use the law to persecute but not the other is a recipient for more bad laws.  The best way to remove a bad law is to enforce it.  If the left wants to regulate speech, they need to feel the pain of that type of regulation.  Only then will they squeal and come to the table to change it.

This is a point I often make.   There is an old joke about a little girl that keeps hitting her brother. 

"Mom!  Becky is hitting me again!"   

"Well sweety,  she doesn't know it hurts."   

The boy just nodded and walked back into the other room.  A moment later mom heard a "Thwack!"  followed by a little girl bawling.   

The boy came back into the room and said  "Well,  she does now!"   

Let the ogre of government ravish the liberals for awhile,   and they will soon rethink their position that we should have such a strong overbearing government. 

So long as conservatives are the only ones to feel the pain of an overbearing government,  Liberals will feel no incentive to reign in government power.   

The solution here would seem to be to turn loose it's force on them,  and let them suffer for awhile,   and then they may come to the table with the position that "Perhaps we should restrain it more." 

— Lord Melbourne —

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #157 on: October 12, 2017, 07:15:20 pm »
The game would be rigged.

That's what I would expect as well,   but just for the purpose of discussing the idea,  we can pretend for a bit that it wouldn't.   

The label of fairness only means something if the content is fair as well.
The liberals complained about Fox News having token liberals who’s job was to lose debates.  I remember PBS having debates between shields (the liberal) and gurgen (fake conservative).  Years later conservative gurgen was working for the Clinton admin.

We actually have mostly had token conservatives.   Bill O'reilly is a Libertarian at best.   Sean Hannity I suppose would be an actual conservative,   but Shep Smith is a homosexual liberal,  and most of the staff runs the gamut between Libertarians and Liberal with few if any fiscal/social conservatives in the mix. 

A lot of the guests on various shows which they claim are "conservatives"   are usually not actually conservative.   

Meghan McCain?   No.   Dick Morris?   No.  Charles Krauthammer?   No.   And so on. 

— Lord Melbourne —

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #158 on: October 12, 2017, 07:18:27 pm »

I want a small limited Government that is neutral.

So do I,  so why should we play this game of accusing each other of supporting Fascism or Censorship?   

The networks were created through the Government issuing the licenses to use the public airwaves.   It has allowed them the ability to build a monopoly on effective speech in this nation. 

The government contributed to the cause of the problem,   and so what can we now do to correct the problem?   

I'm open to any reasonable suggestion.   
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline aligncare

« Reply #159 on: October 12, 2017, 07:49:20 pm »
I certainly don’t want censorship. I want more speech. But, right now ‘more speech’ is being effectively locked out by the dominant liberal culture of Big Media. They own the narratives.

BTW, in my perfect world liberal speech has just as much access as conservative speech. But, no where in this scenario is the room for slander or libel.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #160 on: October 12, 2017, 08:24:51 pm »
@Sanguine
I figured you must be since you bash any ideas to try and counter it.

Except of course the one about spending a billion dollars to create a new network.

Nope, you have me confused with someone else. 

I simply accept the fact that 1) giving the government the power to control the media is a stupid and existentially destructive idea, is 2)anti-Constitutional and 3) won't work the way you propose it would work. 

Other than that, I'm fine with it. 

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #161 on: October 13, 2017, 05:25:34 am »

That's what I would expect as well,   but just for the purpose of discussing the idea,  we can pretend for a bit that it wouldn't.   

We actually have mostly had token conservatives.   Bill O'reilly is a Libertarian at best.   Sean Hannity I suppose would be an actual conservative,   but Shep Smith is a homosexual liberal,  and most of the staff runs the gamut between Libertarians and Liberal with few if any fiscal/social conservatives in the mix. 

A lot of the guests on various shows which they claim are "conservatives"   are usually not actually conservative.   

Meghan McCain?   No.   Dick Morris?   No.  Charles Krauthammer?   No.   And so on.

You are correct.  FOX is not Conservative and no news gets it right all the time.  Just look at FOX they gave us Trump.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #162 on: October 13, 2017, 05:32:05 am »
You are correct.  FOX is not Conservative and no news gets it right all the time.  Just look at FOX they gave us Trump.

On it's best day on it's best hour FOX News gets around 3-4 million viewers. There were around 130 million votes cast in the last election.

Assuming a percentage of FOX viewers don't vote or can't vote, just how in the hell did FOX give us Trump when maybe 1% of voters watch FOX?

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #163 on: October 13, 2017, 05:52:22 am »
On it's best day on it's best hour FOX News gets around 3-4 million viewers. There were around 130 million votes cast in the last election.

Assuming a percentage of FOX viewers don't vote or can't vote, just how in the hell did FOX give us Trump when maybe 1% of voters watch FOX?

Frank FOX has the highest viewership rating of any cable news stations.  If you think that they didn't have a impact on the election you are crazy.  There are no other Republican/Conservative cable news stations except FOX that I know of.  Plenty of liberal ones.  CNN, NBC, ABC...........

Oh an I also hold Breitbart and Anne Coulter and much of the Evangelical community responsible for the buffoon.

AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #164 on: October 13, 2017, 03:47:50 pm »

So do I,  so why should we play this game of accusing each other of supporting Fascism or Censorship?   

The networks were created through the Government issuing the licenses to use the public airwaves.   It has allowed them the ability to build a monopoly on effective speech in this nation. 

The government contributed to the cause of the problem,   and so what can we now do to correct the problem?   

I'm open to any reasonable suggestion.
It is my opinion that most of the problems that occur in this country is the absence of remembering our Christian roots when this government was devised.

By God's own word, it is not a level playing field.  True, He gave us the freedom of choice, but that does not equate to what is right or wrong, and right by His judgment always outweighs wrong.

On most fronts, patriotism caused our government to be swayed to enforce judgments that behaved according to what was right with God (although I note an exception was slavery in its early years).  Much of our patriotic foundation has been steadily eroded as we stray further from our Christian heritage. The entire Democrat party is a perfect example of the foundering of patriotism if one looks at their platform of social liberalism that fragments a family and enforcement of diversity and onerous taxes over freedoms .

The ideal world is to control by doing what is good for the country ie, Christian-based, but we are so far down alternatives roads, it would be a very hard sell.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington