Author Topic: GOP Senator Asks Trump If He’s ‘Recanting’ Constitutional Oath  (Read 5767 times)

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Re: GOP Senator Asks Trump If He’s ‘Recanting’ Constitutional Oath
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2017, 02:51:17 pm »

And once again I must ask,  "Why are Democrat leaders not plagued with these same sort of mouthy @$$holes who question their motives?"   

Why does this seem to only be a problem for Republicans?

@DiogenesLamp
Because the leftists punish those who don't fall into line.  They also tend to accept any sort of progress and don't insist on a purity test.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2017, 02:51:17 pm »
Anyone who truthfully answers that yes, he would have been outraged at Obama, but is defending President Trump's comment may want to rethink his self-proclaimed regard for the First Amendment.

See now that's a problem, there are people on "our side" who are fundamentally dishonest, including the One Rump himself.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2017, 02:57:14 pm »
Because our side has critical thinkers. Their side doesn't.

There's a big GD difference between thinking and doing. Professor Ben does all sorts of thinking. Hasn't done one real damn thing though. He has Rand Paul fever.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2017, 02:58:36 pm »
There's a big GD difference between thinking and doing. Professor Ben does all sorts of thinking. Hasn't done one real damn thing though. He has Rand Paul fever.

I know how dare a Senator questions our Dear Leader.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline aligncare

« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2017, 03:09:06 pm »
@kevindavis
Obama had a hotline to MSNBC who admitted they cleared stories with the White House before publishing them.

Did that bother you?

In this great country of ours we have a thing called freedom of some speech. The left’s, via Big Media.

Tweet away, Mr. President, tweet, tweet, tweet. Stick it in their faces.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2017, 03:20:57 pm »
If Barack Hussein Obama had called for the revocation of FCC licenses of broadcasters who criticized him, would we conservative lovers of the Constitution have praised or criticized him? That's pretty much all Jonah was saying.

Anyone who truthfully answers that yes, he would have been outraged at Obama, but is defending President Trump's comment may want to rethink his self-proclaimed regard for the First Amendment.

For what cause would Obama have called for a revocation of an FCC license? None, zero, Big Media worshipped Obama. And, that’s the point. The media is one sided and no longer serves the public good.

They have openly – in the case of the NY Times and MSNBC – declared their allegiance to only one side of the public debate, the democrat side.

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2017, 03:23:40 pm »
Freedom of speech

Freedom of speech is suppressed when one side has it and the other does not have it in equal measure. 

5. Printers are educated in the Belief, that when Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter: Hence they chearfully serve all contending Writers that pay them well, without regarding on which side they are of the Question in Dispute.

-Ben Franklin-
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2017, 03:34:33 pm »

Freedom of speech is suppressed when one side has it and the other does not have it in equal measure.

Ridiculous notion. You have as much free speech as anyone.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2017, 03:39:06 pm »

You’re being obtuse, maybe deliberately, if you misconstrue that point.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2017, 03:42:30 pm »

I know how dare a Senator questions our Dear Leader.

First off there is damn little lack of questioning our Dear Leader in the Senate. TO claim otherwise is genuine bullshit. What there is a lack of is getting things done. Where is Ben working with the House on trying to get Obamacare repealed? Where is Ben working with the House on a Flat Tax? Where is Ben actually doing a real thing other than run his lazy freeloading mouth about Donny?

Looks like there is plenty of time to play grab ass, workout and chat with Chuck Schumer though. I wonder how many of his constituents hang out like a teen age kid during their work day?

Offline musiclady

« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2017, 03:50:39 pm »
If Barack Hussein Obama had called for the revocation of FCC licenses of broadcasters who criticized him, would we conservative lovers of the Constitution have praised or criticized him? That's pretty much all Jonah was saying.

Conservatives and Republicans (not the same thing, clearly) were rightfully up in arms because Hussein kept bashing and blaming Fox News because they dared to broadcast anything that wasn't favorable to him.

If he had said that he was going to take away Fox's license, the same people who are defending Trump would be screeching in rage about Obama.

We can see how far "our side" has fallen when we are arguing for the First Amendment among people who claim to be in favor of the Constitution.  They want a dictator to "fix" things and make it more "fair" for us.

I have no doubt that these same folks would defend pretty much anything Trump wants to do.

This country is in BIG trouble.

(Not that that is news.....  **nononono*)
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2017, 03:51:09 pm »

So basically you want the Fed to tell the broadcast networks what stories to push?

So basically I want the Fed to tell the broadcast networks that they can no longer discriminate against conservatives in their hiring and promotion practices.   

Force them to hire the proper quota of conservatives (as determined by their representation among the public in general)  and the problem of them censoring and lying will take care of itself. 

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline musiclady

« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2017, 03:52:19 pm »
Really? What tangible thing has Ben done that is good for the country? All I see is another loser who pops his head out of his hole to spout off his righteous indignation and then goes back to cashing his paycheck and hanging around with the boys in the gym.

Of course, your opinion of Sasse is not the point.  What he said is the point....... and he is absolutely correct.

Trump took an oath to defend the Constitution, and he is spitting in its face with this nonsense.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline musiclady

« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2017, 03:53:25 pm »

So basically I want the Fed to tell the broadcast networks that they can no longer discriminate against conservatives in their hiring and promotion practices.   

Force them to hire the proper quota of conservatives (as determined by their representation among the public in general)  and the problem of them censoring and lying will take care of itself.

I love the smell of big government overreach in the morning........   **nononono*

Constitution??  WHAT Constitution??

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2017, 03:55:43 pm »
Because our side has critical thinkers. Their side doesn't.

Well as a counterclaim to that argument we have the "never Trumpers" here,   So our side has it's fair share of non critical thinkers who are knee jerk and reactionary.   

Also all the Rinos getting in line to criticize Trump are just virtue signaling to the MSM because the MSM has so much power in influencing the Voters out there.   

It's an appeal to the alligators not to eat them first. 

— Lord Melbourne —

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2017, 03:56:42 pm »
Of course, your opinion of Sasse is not the point.  What he said is the point....... and he is absolutely correct.

You're right. It's not the point. Brilliant Ben said something after all! $174,000 of taxpayers money a year plus benefits well spent.

Bravo Ben! You said something! You're a God Damn Genius Ben!!!!! YOU MAKE US ALL PROUD!!!!!!

Offline skeeter

« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2017, 03:56:56 pm »

I'd settle for all news networks to be forced to run a disclaimer at the beginning of each broadcast. Something along the lines of 'the following news presentation has been modified to represent the political point of view of our corporate sponsor and may not contain all available information'.

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2017, 03:58:08 pm »
If Barack Hussein Obama had called for the revocation of FCC licenses of broadcasters who criticized him,

People keep recasting his argument as those "who criticize him"   when it is in fact addressed at those people who spread lies and censor real news.   

You are converting his argument of "Fake News"  into "those who criticize him."    Yes,  "fake news"  may be critical of him,   but the issue is that it is fake,  not that it is critical. 

— Lord Melbourne —

Offline aligncare

« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2017, 03:59:28 pm »
I'd settle for all news networks to be forced to run a disclaimer at the beginning of each broadcast. Something along the lines of 'the following news presentation has been modified to represent the political point of view of our corporate sponsor and may not contain all available information'.

Wouldn’t that be a hoot!

Offline musiclady

« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2017, 03:59:36 pm »
You're right. It's not the point. Brilliant Ben said something after all! $174,000 of taxpayers money a year plus benefits well spent.

Bravo Ben! You said something! You're a God Damn Genius Ben!!!!! YOU MAKE US ALL PROUD!!!!!!

Again, not the issue.

Your feelings against Sasse and strong feelings for Trump are beside the point.

Trump is seeking to violate the Constitution, and pseudo-cons are cheering him on.

THAT............ is the point.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2017, 04:02:32 pm »

Trump took an oath to defend the Constitution, and he is spitting in its face with this nonsense.

There is no constitutional right to a broadcast license. None, zip, zero.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2017, 04:02:41 pm »

People keep recasting his argument as those "who criticize him"   when it is in fact addressed at those people who spread lies and censor real news.   

You are converting his argument of "Fake News"  into "those who criticize him."    Yes,  "fake news"  may be critical of him,   but the issue is that it is fake,  not that it is critical.

I’ve said that a hundred times, but it’s just not getting through to them, because, well, Trump.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2017, 04:03:11 pm »

It's still not Constitutional for the dictator-like President, and the government to silence them because they're not being fair.

The left has been doing that for decades, and we have been objecting to it.

Now that Trump is playing the "you're not fair" baby card, you're on board for government censorship.

That is NOT critical thinking.  That's knee-jerk, emotionalism in defiance of our founding documents.

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2017, 04:03:46 pm »

George Stephanopolous speaks to millions every single day.   I cannot do this.   Why can he speak to millions and I can only speak to a few?   

Which of us will more effect the minds of the voting public?   

The point of "freedom of speech"  is to allow the public to hear what people think so that the public can act upon it if they feel it is necessary to do so.   

Not being able to reach the public makes the entire point of "freedom of speech"  null and void. 

"Freedom of Speech" is the means by which the founders intended to keep the public informed about matters that may need the public's attention.   

That purpose has been short circuited by monopoly control of the means to reach the larger public.   

— Lord Melbourne —

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2017, 04:05:03 pm »
Fair question.

Stupid reaction to stupid comment.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.