Author Topic: Foiled in Congress, Trump Moves on His Own to Undermine Obamacare  (Read 792 times)

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Foiled in Congress, Trump Moves on His Own to Undermine Obamacare

By ROBERT PEAR and REED ABELSONOCT. 11, 2017

WASHINGTON — President Trump, after failing to repeal the Affordable Care Act in Congress, will act on his own to relax health care standards on small businesses that band together to buy health insurance and may take steps to allow the sale of other health plans that skirt the health law’s requirements.

The president plans to sign an executive order “to promote health care choice and competition” on Thursday at a White House event attended by small-business owners and others.

Although Mr. Trump has been telegraphing his intentions for more than a week, Democrats and some state regulators are now greeting the move with increasing alarm, calling it another attempt to undermine President Barack Obama’s signature health care law. They warn that by relaxing standards for so-called association health plans, Mr. Trump would create low-cost insurance options for the healthy, driving up costs for the sick and destabilizing insurance marketplaces created under the Affordable Care Act.

“It would have a very negative impact on the markets,” said Mike Kreidler, the insurance commissioner in Washington State. “Our state is a poster child of what can go wrong. Association health plans often shun the bad risks and stay with the good risks.”

snip

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/11/us/politics/trump-obamacare-executive-order.html
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 04:12:55 am by truth_seeker »
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: Foiled in Congress, Trump Moves on His Own to Undermine Obamacare
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 04:09:45 am »
Bravo Donny.

MAGA!

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 04:10:09 am »
President Trump is doing what he can, in spite of the effed up GOP majority Congress.

Anybody with a real conservative bone in his/her body would say "thanks, Mr. President."

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 04:17:20 am »
President Trump is doing what he can, in spite of the effed up GOP majority Congress.

Anybody with a real conservative bone in his/her body would say "thanks, Mr. President."

I'm pretty much of the opinion that this is how policy is going to be enacted for the see-able future. Bush strengthened the hell out of the executive branch and showed congress that they didn't have to make any hard decisions and keep their overpaid jobs loaded with graft. Obama accelerated that with endless EO's and now 16 years later congress has figured out they don't even have to bother with real budgets anymore. Any old laws that don't work anymore just go to the Supreme Court now and that branch cleans up Congress's messes. They can now focus on filling their pockets with money.

EO and SC decisions are going to be the accepted way rules are made from here on out.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 04:30:43 am »
I don't have a full understanding how this helps a specific individual.  Sounds to me like it only affects small businesses that choose to offer health insurance? 

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 04:34:09 am »
Sounds to me like it only affects small businesses....

Great. You're one of these chicks who thinks size matters.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 04:38:52 am »
Great. You're one of these chicks who thinks size matters.

Hate to burst your bubble, but it really does.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 04:53:59 am »
Hate to burst your bubble, but it really does.

Of course I know that. Your problem was with how you read my comment. It was a declarative statement not a sarcastic jab.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 05:03:59 am »
Of course I know that. Your problem was with how you read my comment. It was a declarative statement not a sarcastic jab.

You're right.  Twice right actually.