Author Topic: 1984 Today: View the Wrong Website, Get 15 Years in Prison  (Read 633 times)

rangerrebew

1984 Today: View the Wrong Website, Get 15 Years in Prison
« on: October 11, 2017, 09:40:18 am »
Monday, 09 October 2017
1984 Today: View the Wrong Website, Get 15 Years in Prison
Written by  Selwyn Duke

Read the wrong website — go to prison for 15 years. This Orwellian idea will apparently become reality under a proposed United Kingdom measure targeting people who repeatedly view not just jihadist Internet material, but also so-called “far-right propaganda.”

The new measure was announced by Britain’s home secretary, Amber Rudd. As The Guardian reported Monday, “‘I want to make sure those who view despicable terrorist content online, including jihadist websites, far-right propaganda and bomb-making instructions, face the full force of the law,’ said Rudd. ‘There is currently a gap in the law around material [that] is viewed or streamed from the internet without being permanently downloaded.’”

https://www.thenewamerican.com/world-news/europe/item/27080-1984-today-view-the-wrong-website-get-15-years-in-prison

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: 1984 Today: View the Wrong Website, Get 15 Years in Prison
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 10:46:27 am »
Some very good points made in the article, well worth reading. Thanks for posting it!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline DB

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 10:54:30 am »
If you can't burn/ban the book, punish the reader to achieve the same result...

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 11:06:07 am »
If you can't burn/ban the book, punish the reader to achieve the same result...
True enough, but while some groups, (in this case in England) supporting Sharia and jihad are pretty well defined, they are trying to ban "Right Wing" websites as well. That gets a lot more vague when it comes to who considers what to be 'too radically' "Right Wing".

Considering in the US the SPLC had defined some mainstream conservative groups as Far Right Hate Groups, it becomes a matter of perspective, and not a well defined ideological limit. The very vagueness and subjective nature of what constitutes a "Right Wing" site and the attempt to find moral equivalency between that and a site promoting violent jihad is a stunning piece of Liberal overreach.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis