Author Topic: Gregg Allman Says Goodbye  (Read 2367 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Gregg Allman Says Goodbye
« on: October 07, 2017, 03:21:30 am »

Those closest to him reflect on the making of the late legend’s final album—and on his final days

by Matt Hendrickson

October/November 2017

During the last few months of his life, Gregg Allman and his wife, Shannon, would sit together in the sun on the porch of his house outside Savannah, near the swimming pool, with the Georgia Lowcountry landscape unfolding toward the Belfast River. They would hold hands, sometimes in silence. In other moments they would read to each other: He loved Mitch Albom. She turned him on to Maya Angelou. Often they would meditate together, sinking deeply into the moment. One day not long before Allman’s death on May 27 at sixty-nine—after a valiant years-long fight against liver cancer that had spread to one of his lungs—they took a golf cart ride around the neighborhood with their two dogs, Maggie and Otis. The air was warm and still, and Allman understood what was inching closer. “But I don’t feel like this is the end,” he quietly said to Shannon. “I just feel like I’m going somewhere else.”

Gregory LeNoir Allman was always moving, always itching to get back on the road with his band after sometimes just a week of downtime. And, of course, this is the legend who gave us the indelible life mantra “The road goes on forever.” But in 2015, Allman and his manager, Michael Lehman, began discussing a new album, one that Allman could use to meticulously chronicle his life and document the last chapter of his legacy. The just-released Southern Blood is that definitive statement, with Allman and producer Don Was choosing songs that held special meaning.

http://gardenandgun.com/feature/gregg-allman-says-goodbye/

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: Gregg Allman Says Goodbye
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 03:45:27 am »
Where's he going?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 04:42:26 am »
Good question.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 04:13:15 pm »
It's almost Halloween.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn