Author Topic: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 2018 nominees announced  (Read 10774 times)

Online libertybele

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 2018 nominees announced
« on: October 05, 2017, 11:42:37 pm »
My pick is the 'Moody Blues' hands down.  I've seen them 4 times and each time they've been great .. they are exceptionally talented.

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 2018 nominees announced

The nominees for induction into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 2018 were announced Thursday.
This year's group includes 19 nominees from all different musical genres.
They are:

Bon Jovi
    Kate Bush
    The Cars
    Depeche Mode
    Dire Straits
    Eurythmics
    J. Geils Band
    Judas Priest
    LL Cool J
    MC5
    The Meters
    Moody Blues
    Radiohead
    Rage Against the Machine
    Rufus featuring Chaka Khan
    Nina Simone
    Sister Rosetta Tharpe
    Link Wray
    The Zombies

To be eligible for nomination, an individual artist or band must have released its first commercial recording at least 25 years prior to the year of induction........

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/05/ehttp://www.cnn.com/2017/10/05/entertainment/rock-hall-fame-2018-nominees/index.htmlntertainment/rock-hall-fame-2018-nominees/index.html

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 2018 nominees announced
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 11:51:40 pm »
LL Cool J? Give me a break. That is about as rock and roll as Benny Goodman or Hoagie Carmichael.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 12:42:25 am »
My pick is the 'Moody Blues' hands down.  I've seen them 4 times and each time they've been great .. they are exceptionally talented.

If the Moody Blues don't get in, I'm going to complain bitterly for yet another year!
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 12:45:04 am »
I get

Well, that didn't work.

THERE WAS AN ERROR PROCESSING YOUR VOTE, PLEASE TRY CASTING YOUR VOTE AGAIN.

when I try to vote.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 12:48:26 am »
If the Moody Blues don't get in, I'm going to complain bitterly for yet another year!

Prob. the biggest travesty of this sham of a HOF was not letting Rush in until 2013.

Glad Moody Blues are finally getting a look.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 01:11:44 am »
LL Cool J? Give me a break. That is about as rock and roll as Benny Goodman or Hoagie Carmichael.

What you said!
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Suppressed

+++++++++

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2017, 09:04:19 pm »
Link Wray, Hank Marvin (Shadows), Ventures, Dick Dale.....

IOW pure guitar instrumental.

A cool influential brief time before the Folk music of Dylan, the British music of you know who that followed

« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 09:11:54 pm by truth_seeker »
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online libertybele

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2017, 01:07:19 am »
Keep voting ... so far Bon Jovi is in 1st place. **nononono*

https://www.rockhall.com/fan-vote/2018-fan-vote
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 01:08:24 am by libertybele »

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2017, 06:53:16 pm »
Prob. the biggest travesty of this sham of a HOF was not letting Rush in until 2013.

Glad Moody Blues are finally getting a look.

@catfish1957

No,it was not letting  Link Wray in decades ago. The man virtually invented rock guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_I954N7msmg

In fact,buy that whole damn album.  You will be glad you did.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2017, 06:55:15 pm »

@Frank Cannon

There is more to it than that. Anyone could hear Benny Goodman playing and recognize it as actual music,even if it wasn't rock and roll.

Online libertybele

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2017, 12:25:10 am »

Online libertybele

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2017, 12:34:00 am »
The Moody Blues are extremely, uniquely talented and in a category all their own ... yet they are just now up for the recognition they deserve.  "Isn't Life Strange?" 

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WZZjXgJ4W8

Online libertybele

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2017, 01:17:52 am »
Reminder to please keep voting!!

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2017, 03:01:47 am »
I love the cars!  Hurray!

I just voted. Here are f the rankings....

1. Bon Jovi

2. Moody Blues

3. Dire Straits

4. The Cars

5. Eurythmics

6. Judas Priest

7.  Depeche Mode

8. J. Geils

9. The Zombies

Judas Priest,and The  Marshall Tucker Band is still not in the Hall of Fame?????

« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 02:02:03 pm by sneakypete »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Silver Pines

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2017, 01:24:17 pm »
Keep voting ... so far Bon Jovi is in 1st place. **nononono*

@libertybele

There's some good news for today!  Go, Bon Jovi.

Online libertybele

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2017, 12:34:58 am »
@libertybele

There's some good news for today!  Go, Bon Jovi.

Honestly, I had to go on to YouTube and listen to some Bon Jovi tunes as I wasn't familiar with them ... now I know why. Not impressed at all...just my opinion of course.  They're still way ahead.  Keep voting.

Offline stephen50right

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2017, 12:52:59 am »
Honestly, I had to go on to YouTube and listen to some Bon Jovi tunes as I wasn't familiar with them ... now I know why. Not impressed at all...just my opinion of course.  They're still way ahead.  Keep voting.

They're getting a boatload of New Jersey votes. 😉

Silver Pines

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2017, 01:09:21 am »

@libertybele

That's okay.  I'm not a music snob, and the Moody Blues were kind before my time.

Online libertybele

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2017, 01:43:04 am »
@libertybele

That's okay.  I'm not a music snob, and the Moody Blues were kind before my time.

No problem.  Bon Jovi and The Moody Blues are in the top 5 anyways.

The process:

Each year, the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Foundation's nominating committee selects the group of artists nominated in the performer category.

Ballots are then sent to more than 900 historians, members of the music industry and artists—including every living Rock Hall inductee—and the five performers receiving the most votes become that year's induction class. Beginning in 2012, fans were given the chance to vote for the nominees they'd like to see inducted into the Rock Hall. The top five vote-getters in the public poll form one ballot, which is weighted the same as the rest of the submitted ballots.

From my understanding they can be inducted more than once for different categories. I would hope that they would also be inducted for Rock and Roll  Musical Excellence.  They truly are a cut above the rest; the award honors performers, songwriters and producers who have changed the course of music history. These artists have dedicated their lives to creating influential, important music infused with originality, and have achieved a level of timeless distinction.

We shall see ... April 14, 2018!

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2017, 08:19:45 am »
They're getting a boatload of New Jersey votes. 😉

I didn't vote for them.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2017, 12:13:08 pm »
I've never understood why Jethro Tull isn't in the hall.   And I think I good case can be made for Graham Parker as well. 

@Jazzhead

Ian Anderson was/is a musical genius,but IIRC,he marched to the beat of his own drummer,and didn't always play well with others. I heard it said back then he was in it for the music,and really didn't give a damn what the record company execs,promoters,or anyone else thought. Tull put on a hell of a live show,though. I saw them twice,and was blown away both times.

WTH would have thought of a flute as the lead instrument in a hard rock back before he came along? Toy Caldwell even shook up country rock/blues with his flute solos,and the country rock/blues people were more open-minded about what was acceptable. To this very day "Can't You See?" by The Marshall Tucker Band is one of my favorite songs.

Back on point,the Hall of Fame seems to be pretty political. No matter how good or who popular you are/were,there seems to be a lot of ass-kissing required to be accepted.

BTW,is Van Morrison in the Hall? He's another one I suspect might have trouble getting voted in.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 01:01:14 pm by sneakypete »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline stephen50right

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2017, 03:19:15 pm »
I've never understood why Jethro Tull isn't in the hall.   And I think I good case can be made for Graham Parker as well. 

@Jazzhead

Ian Anderson was/is a musical genius,but IIRC,he marched to the beat of his own drummer,and didn't always play well with others. I heard it said back then he was in it for the music,and really didn't give a damn what the record company execs,promoters,or anyone else thought. Tull put on a hell of a live show,though. I saw them twice,and was blown away both times.

WTH would have thought of a flute as the lead instrument in a hard rock back before he came along? Toy Caldwell even shook up country rock/blues with his flute solos,and the country rock/blues people were more open-minded about what was acceptable. To this very day "Can't You See?" by The Marshall Tucker Band is one of my favorite songs.

Back on point,the Hall of Fame seems to be pretty political. No matter how good or who popular you are/were,there seems to be a lot of ass-kissing required to be accepted.

BTW,is Van Morrison in the Hall? He's another one I suspect might have trouble getting voted in.

Jethro Tull not in? I'm surprised at that...and also surprised the Moody Blues aren't in yet.

Dire Straits is a lock to get in. They wrote that song "Industrial Disease" which of course the anti-corporation left had to love, and we all know the voters on this mostly lean left.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2017, 10:17:02 pm »

@Jazzhead

@Jazzhead

Huh? I wrote the above in a response to you? Why is it credited to you? Is there some sort of software glitch happening?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2017, 10:19:28 pm »
Jethro Tull not in? I'm surprised at that...and also surprised the Moody Blues aren't in yet.

Dire Straits is a lock to get in. They wrote that song "Industrial Disease" which of course the anti-corporation left had to love, and we all know the voters on this mostly lean left.

@stephen50right

Dire Straits deserved to be in there a hell of a lot more than a lot of the ones already in. Superb musicians and songwriters.