Author Topic: Equifax raises estimate of people hit by breach  (Read 1352 times)

Online corbe

Equifax raises estimate of people hit by breach
« on: October 02, 2017, 09:20:19 pm »
Equifax raises estimate of people hit by breach

By Ali Breland - 10/02/17 05:15 PM EDT   

Equifax says that 2.5 million more Americans have been affected by their record breaking cyber breach than originally believed.

The new additions bring the total of affected Americans is 145.5 million. Names, social security numbers, birthdates and other information were all compromised in the breach.

<..snip..>

http://thehill.com/policy/cybersecurity/353517-equifax-raises-estimate-of-people-hit-by-breach
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Equifax raises estimate of people hit by breach
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 01:11:46 am »
I sense it's time for Equifax to simply close up and go out of business...

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 01:17:10 am »
They've built a system that is vulnerable.  They should be jailed.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 01:24:53 am »
I sense it's time for Equifax to simply close up and go out of business...

They should be sued out of existence by those affected.

But at least we can pay them to freeze our credit reports.  And by we, I mean anyone, not just those who were affected.  Because I wasn't affected.  According to equifax.  Yeah.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 02:23:22 pm »
Well, Equifax told me I'm vulnerable, so I signed up for their credit monitoring and protection service. Only problem is, if they miss something and there is fraud, the terms and conditions provide that Equifax cannot be held liable.

So I guess I should just spend some money and get Lifelock or some other protection.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017, 02:31:29 pm »

But at least we can pay them to freeze our credit reports.  And by we, I mean anyone, not just those who were affected.  Because I wasn't affected.  According to equifax.  Yeah.

@InHeavenThereIsNoBeer
You can't sue them or the banks.  They wrote the laws.

You and I do not have standing.   You have to have standing in order to sue someone.   Why don't we have standing?   Because the banks limit our financial risk.   You know how they say you aren't liable for unauthorized charges if your card is lost or stolen.  They don't do that to be nice, they do it because it means you don't suffer any financial harm.  Therefor you don't have legal standing to sue them for a corrupted system that they refuse to make secure.

There are only about 5 cents of fraud on every $100 charged to cards.    The banks are willing to accept this amount of loss as fixing it would cost more.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2017, 12:41:57 am »
Meanwhile in DC.

IRS awards Equifax $7.25 million contract to prevent fraud
The IRS labels Equifax as a “sole source order,” which means that the agency believes the credit reporting company is the only business capable of providing the service.
 http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,284124.msg1471331.html#msg1471331
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2017, 12:48:44 am »
Meanwhile in DC.

IRS awards Equifax $7.25 million contract to prevent fraud
The IRS labels Equifax as a “sole source order,” which means that the agency believes the credit reporting company is the only business capable of providing the service.
 http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,284124.msg1471331.html#msg1471331

The federal government, outside the military, is completely dysfunctional!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2017, 02:26:33 pm »
The federal government, outside the military, is completely dysfunctional!
Obama of course infiltrated the military as well with all of his PC crap prioritized, as now we have ships running into each other so often we have to announce their presence.  Not much of a military if one gives their location away at sea, eh?

To Avoid Future Collisions, U.S. Navy Ships Will Advertise Their Locations in High-Traffic Areas
http://www.popularmechanics.com/military/navy-ships/news/a28290/us-navy-ships-high-traffic-areas/

Navy Returns to Compasses and Pencils to Help Avoid Collisions at Sea
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/27/us/politics/navy-orders-safety-operational-standards.html
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Hurricane Andrew

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2017, 03:05:12 pm »

They have waived all fees for freezing your credit.  Of course, the other bureaus have not waived the fees to freeze.
There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think.