Author Topic: Make Up a Batch of Pemmican, Historic Backcountry Super Food  (Read 3450 times)

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Make Up a Batch of Pemmican, Historic Backcountry Super Food
« on: October 02, 2017, 02:33:59 am »
Pemmican is an awesome, high-energy super food that our forefathers prepared when they too headed into the wilderness. It’s highly portable, chock-full of calories and nutrition and has a long, stable shelf life.

Read more at: http://www.wideopenspaces.com/make-batch-pemmican-historic-backcountry-super-food/
The Republic is lost.

Offline RoosGirl

Re: Make Up a Batch of Pemmican, Historic Backcountry Super Food
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 03:20:11 am »
@roamer_1   Thought you might like to peruse this.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 03:33:54 am »
Basically, it’s just dried meat, animal fat and dried berries mixed together.

Sounds effing disgusting. Our forefathers also ate whale vomit, oyster ice cream and eel pie. This is right up there with those.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 04:06:12 am »
I thought the whale vomit was for perfume making?   Doesn't matter, I'd rather have lunch with Hillary than eat any of those things.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 04:29:34 am »
@roamer_1   Thought you might like to peruse this.

Yep, thanks. I have pemmican in my truck and in my go-bag all winter long. It's just rendered beef tallow holding together finely chopped jerky and dried berries... I suppose it is an acquired taste, but it;s one that is good for me, and one I am well accustomed to...

They're nice to throw into rice in your bushpot too... throw it in first and get it all married up with the rice, browning the rice a bit, and then pour in the water and set it to boil. As it cooks, the jerky and berries reconstitute... Very nice.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2017, 07:59:00 am »
I thought the whale vomit was for perfume making?   Doesn't matter, I'd rather have lunch with Hillary than eat any of those things.
Only the chunks: Ambergris
We dreamed of finding this stuff as kids. It was worth a fortune.

Now, the possession and trade of ambergris is prohibited in the US by the Endangered Species Act of 1973
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 08:00:29 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline endicom

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 11:20:22 am »

They're nice to throw into rice in your bushpot too... throw it in first and get it all married up with the rice, browning the rice a bit, and then pour in the water and set it to boil. As it cooks, the jerky and berries reconstitute... Very nice.

"How long can cooked white rice be left out at room temperature? Cooked white rice should be discarded if left out for more than 2 hours at room temperature, as bacteria grow rapidly at temperatures between 40 °F and 140 °F."

http://www.stilltasty.com/fooditems/index/18723

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 12:29:55 pm »
I thought the whale vomit was for perfume making?

Then you'd think the gals would be more appreciative when you get too drunk and puke on her.  :shrug:
You know... amber(beer)-grits :|

:silly:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2017, 12:34:40 pm »

"How long can cooked white rice be left out at room temperature? Cooked white rice should be discarded if left out for more than 2 hours at room temperature, as bacteria grow rapidly at temperatures between 40 °F and 140 °F."

http://www.stilltasty.com/fooditems/index/18723

meh. Throw it back in a little water and put a lid on it to get a boil on. Or fry it. It'll be fine.
Folks been around refrigeration too long...

Offline endicom

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2017, 01:12:27 pm »
meh. Throw it back in a little water and put a lid on it to get a boil on. Or fry it. It'll be fine.
Folks been around refrigeration too long...

"Dr Chapman explained that these spores may survive cooking and if the rice is kept at room temperature after it's cooked, the spores can germinate and multiply."

"When the spores grow, they release toxins, including one that's heat-stable.

It is not clear how many cases of food-poisoning Bacillus cereus causes, but a report by the CDC sates it's responsible for two percent of foodborne illnesses."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-4347604/Reheated-rice-major-source-food-poisoning.html

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2017, 01:22:49 pm »
"Dr Chapman explained that these spores may survive cooking and if the rice is kept at room temperature after it's cooked, the spores can germinate and multiply."

"When the spores grow, they release toxins, including one that's heat-stable.

It is not clear how many cases of food-poisoning Bacillus cereus causes, but a report by the CDC sates it's responsible for two percent of foodborne illnesses."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-4347604/Reheated-rice-major-source-food-poisoning.html

Again, meh.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2017, 02:18:27 pm »
Again, meh.

I do not relish the thought of sitting on the pot for a couple days.  I think I'll put my rice away.  Course, we hardly ever eat rice so it doesn't much matter.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2017, 02:19:30 pm »
Then you'd think the gals would be more appreciative when you get too drunk and puke on her.  :shrug:
You know... amber(beer)-grits :|

:silly:

LOL   I can honestly say I have never been vomited on by an adult, and the kiddo only spit up on me one time when he was little little before I figured out how often he needed to be burped during feedings.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2017, 02:31:35 pm »
LOL   I can honestly say I have never been vomited on by an adult...

Well La Di Da.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2017, 03:25:56 pm »
Well La Di Da.

Time for another beer, Frank.