Author Topic: Lard is the New Coconut Oil  (Read 6622 times)

Offline RoosGirl

Re: Lard is the New Coconut Oil
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2017, 12:00:36 am »
Have you tried making the sausage gravy with the tallow?

Online roamer_1

« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2017, 12:03:10 am »
Have you tried making the sausage gravy with the tallow?

Yeah... It's goood. But I don't use it as such, unless the tallow is already in the pan.
I thnk I have two quarts left, and until I get some more made up, I am on emergency rations. Cooking more with coconut and butter till then

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2017, 12:15:40 am »
Yeah... It's goood. But I don't use it as such, unless the tallow is already in the pan.
I thnk I have two quarts left, and until I get some more made up, I am on emergency rations. Cooking more with coconut and butter till then

I'm maybe getting an inkling that milk and I are no longer BFFs, so my sausage gravy (and lots of other things) days may be over.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2017, 12:30:11 am »
I'm maybe getting an inkling that milk and I are no longer BFFs, so my sausage gravy (and lots of other things) days may be over.

Dunno for you, but the dehydrated milk seems to rest easier in me. Tastes awful as milk, but it cooks alright.

Otherwise, find a local homesteader with a legacy cow. The early breeds are amazingly free of the lactos problems.

One of my friends has a daughter that is highly intolerant, and they played hell till they got that cow. She chugs that stuff with no ill effects.  I can't remember the breed right off, but I can get it if you want. Short, bony little dun colored thing with black points...

Milk is hard for women to drop - it is the easiest calcium rich source there is.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2017, 12:38:12 am »
Dunno for you, but the dehydrated milk seems to rest easier in me. Tastes awful as milk, but it cooks alright.

Otherwise, find a local homesteader with a legacy cow. The early breeds are amazingly free of the lactos problems.

One of my friends has a daughter that is highly intolerant, and they played hell till they got that cow. She chugs that stuff with no ill effects.  I can't remember the breed right off, but I can get it if you want. Short, bony little dun colored thing with black points...

Milk is hard for women to drop - it is the easiest calcium rich source there is.

I've been drinking raw milk from various suppliers for the last 8 or 9 years; this latest one I've been getting from for maybe 2 years.  My complaints are more recent than that.  I'll have to ask her what kind of cows she has.  I know one is a jersey, but I don't know about the others. 

I texted her and yes, they are all jerseys
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 12:41:54 am by RoosGirl »

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2017, 12:49:04 am »
I don't eat meat anymore so coconut and olive are my go-to oils, not to mention real buttah. If you've never tried bullet proof coffee Google it, sneer at the recipe, try it because you want to hate it, then actually love it because it's the bomb dot com. Any hoo, I still use rendered deer fat for soap. It's also the bomb dot com blended with olive oil for a pretty luxurious lather.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2017, 12:50:45 am »

Try raw milk.
I stand with Roosgirl.