Author Topic: Mother with 4 kids stopped with $237,000 cash in Rosenberg  (Read 9222 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: Mother with 4 kids stopped with $237,000 cash in Rosenberg
« Reply #75 on: September 23, 2017, 09:54:49 pm »
It may not be your experience, but there are a lot of people who have no trust of banks.  Their lifetime accumulation of wealth is cash.  And if they move, they move their cash.

We can debate the foolishness of such actions, but it is not illegal, nor should it be.

Yes, and I'm sure most of these people with no trust in banks, live in some of the poorest areas of the nation, the lower Rio Grande valley and happen to be driving to or from, with nearly a quarter of a million dollars and that is without any kind of racial profiling.  Right next to the border, the war zone of Northern Mexico, with some of the most vicious drug gangs on earth, who engage in beheadings, torture, kidnapping, human trafficking and so on.

I'll say the story does not give enough information, she was stopped for a traffic violation and then, they found something else.

Very persuasive argument.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 10:00:29 pm by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

« Reply #76 on: September 23, 2017, 10:04:25 pm »
We can assume this fits the definition of "asset seizure"; but that may not even be clear if the law is nuanced. You do have plenty of cases of the abuse of asset seizure, the police take $1000 and things like that; but I'm not about to go that way on a case that very much looks like it could have connections to the notorious drug cartels of Mexico and that is what this looks like.

Offline thackney

« Reply #77 on: September 23, 2017, 10:10:27 pm »
Yes, and I'm sure most of these people with no trust in banks, live in some of the poorest areas of the nation, the lower Rio Grande valley and happen to be driving to or from, with nearly a quarter of a million dollars and that is without any kind of racial profiling.  Right next to the border, the war zone of Northern Mexico, with some of the most vicious drug gangs on earth, who engage in beheadings, torture, kidnapping, human trafficking and so on.

I'll say the story does not give enough information, she was stopped for a traffic violation and then, they found something else.

Very persuasive argument.

Some of them are from countries where bank accounts were taken or trimmed by the government.

We seem to be approaching that and some of you are cheering for it.

Sad...
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 10:11:27 pm by thackney »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #78 on: September 23, 2017, 10:18:29 pm »
TomSea wrote:
"Dollar to a doughnut, this is drug money, well done by the police."

I have to agree.
Looks like "a good bust".

The "mother" has a lot more to worry about instead of "getting the money back".
As in some cartel folks "gettin' even with her" -- for losing THEIR money.

Before too long, she may need to be put into the witness protection program!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 10:59:52 pm by Fishrrman »

Offline TomSea

« Reply #79 on: September 23, 2017, 10:25:24 pm »
People should look at that "borderland beat" news website, it's often graphic, what is happening down there is bad, I hope it only affects a small part of the population; but it is a war zone in parts and at times... and a very vicious one.

They have people in the northern part of Mexico called "lookouts" basically, looking out for one cartel to do their business, run drugs or whatever but if they opposition catches you, watch out. This certainly sounds like transporting some sort of ill-got monies to me.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #80 on: September 23, 2017, 10:30:53 pm »
Here's another great example:

An illegal alien walks up to you and shoots you in the head in front of many witnesses.
Now according to you guys, he should be able to walk freely until his court date because he is "innocent until proven guilty".

:facepalm2:

Offline DB

« Reply #81 on: September 23, 2017, 10:32:41 pm »
Oh no. He may have shot you but you say he is innocent.

The law that says she needs to prove she paid taxes on that money like all of us have to do.

No such law.

Offline DB

« Reply #82 on: September 23, 2017, 10:39:49 pm »

The law that says she needs to prove she paid taxes on that money like all of us have to do.

So where is the threshold for this law you claim? Carrying $1,000 in your car? $10,000? Why not $10? Is it adjusted for inflation? How about based on your income?

No one is saying this woman shouldn't be investigated and due process of law applied.

You are skipping that little thing called the U.S. constitution with its innocence until proven guilty, due process and requiring a warrant to go look for things.

Offline DB

« Reply #83 on: September 23, 2017, 10:44:17 pm »
People should look at that "borderland beat" news website, it's often graphic, what is happening down there is bad, I hope it only affects a small part of the population; but it is a war zone in parts and at times... and a very vicious one.

They have people in the northern part of Mexico called "lookouts" basically, looking out for one cartel to do their business, run drugs or whatever but if they opposition catches you, watch out. This certainly sounds like transporting some sort of ill-got monies to me.

So in Texas, anyone found with a gun in their car should have it confiscated because it could have been used in a crime and they're often used by the drug runners... After all guns are primarily to kill people... They should have to hire a lawyer to PROVE the gun wasn't involved in a crime before they get it back... Otherwise the police get to keep the gun and/or sell it for their own purposes...

Wow.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #84 on: September 23, 2017, 10:44:25 pm »

Which law is that?  And what does it state is the amount of money in possession which warns seizure without even an accusation of a crime?

And since when, unless under an IRS audit, do all of us need to prove we paid taxes on the income that created our wealth?

If I have a bunch of money in the bank, that's not enough justification for the police to seize it without any due process.  Now let's say I take it out and drive it across town to put it in another bank.  While doing so, I get pulled over.  Can the police take my money now, while they couldn't 10 minutes ago?  Does it make a difference if it's cash vs a cashier's check?  What if I don't get pulled over and managed to deposit the money in the other bank, is it now protected or still fair game?
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #85 on: September 23, 2017, 10:48:39 pm »
So in Texas, anyone found with a gun in their car should have it confiscated because it could have been used in a crime and they're often used by the drug runners... After all guns are primarily to kill people... They should have to hire a lawyer to PROVE the gun wasn't involved in a crime before they get it back... Otherwise the police get to keep the gun and/or sell it for their own purposes...

Wow.

Nobody said that.  My stance from the beginning is I'm sure the police know what they are doing and they are probably correct in this case. We have very limited facts and details to be jumping to the conclusion that this is a wrongful asset seizure.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #86 on: September 23, 2017, 10:50:52 pm »

An illegal alien walks up to you and shoots you in the head in front of many witnesses.
Now according to you guys, he should be able to walk freely until his court date because he is "innocent until proven guilty".

No, a lousy example.

That is a crime being committed in plain sight.

A better example is that the cops confiscate your car because they declare it will likely be used while you are driving drunk.

I see.

Well, by that reckoning I suppose we should all applaud and cheer when the police confiscate your home and lock you out of it until you prove you paid your property taxes.

Oh, and all the stuff in your house - you will have to prove you purchased legitimately - or it can be kept or sold at auction.

Because of course if you cannot prove your innocence - then obviously you had either stolen those items or received stolen property - in which case the cops are justified in everything they just did.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #87 on: September 23, 2017, 10:53:44 pm »
She is innocent until proven guilty in a legal sense.  But when you are arrested for a crime, they handcuff you and take you to jail and you hire a defense attorney.  So in a practical sense you also must prove your innocence.  The point of innocent until proven guilty is that you retain certain rights until you are proven guilty and that any lacking evidence is in your favor.   You cannot be arrested w/o cause and things like that.  It does not mean that we must play stupid when you are caught with $250,000 in the back of your car.   Name me one, just ONE, legitimate reason she might have had for that.  There really isn't one.  Still, if I were on the jury I would need a lot more than that.  I doubt this is a difficult case to make. 

INVAR, you are a brilliant poster, as is Smoking Joe.  I come here to read posters like the two of you.  It is so rare that I disagree with you about anything.  Thanks for all the great stuff you post here.  On this issue I don't really have sympathy for the lady or feel that law enforcement overstepped in any way. Yet.  No one drives around with that kind of money in the back of their car.  The closest personal experience I can think of is that my grandpa used to keep cash in his house.  Why?  The rumor is that he evaded taxes whenever he could.  I really have no first hand knowledge and he died over 30 years ago, completely broke.  He had nowhere near that kind of money stashed.  He ran his own business and I suspect some customers paid with cash.  For the most part, even way back then, everyone wanted the paper trail of checks.  But he would never have had it a quarter mil in the back of his car.  Not ever.  A bank branch does not have that much money in their entire bank at any given time.
I am going to turn this right back at you. I also generally respect your opinions--in this case we disagree.

There have been times when it was not unusual for me to have over 5K in my  pocket or on my person. At an auction, a gun show, a flea market, or other events money talks, BS walks. Not all in the same place on me, but on me nonetheless. Now, I'm not an upscale dresser. I only own one suit because I thought it might come in handy, and a couple months ago, I didn't even have that. To someone who does not know anything about me, they might assume (especially someone from an urban environment where clothing and newness of vehicle are seen as class designators) that I was some lowlife, and with that amount of cash on my person it had to be from nefarious sources.

Not so. It has all been taxed, or was in the process of being taxed, but during an oil boom, even businesses I had done business with would no longer accept personal checks. I don't like using plastic, because the less you do, the less likely you are to get your data snagged by some thief. That leaves cash. When I bought vehicles, I paid cash--quite literally. I have only ever been in one place that would not take it, and I just left and took my money elsewhere where I was welcome. There have been occasions when I, wearing leathers, vest, biker boots an a do-rag rode my Harley Davidson to the night deposit with over 10K in the saddlebags.

Nothing nefarious involved, it was money from the day for a charity bingo.

The assumption that because someone has something is the thin end of the rich people are holding the poor people down wedge--the assumption that because they have it, they acquired it illegally, are using it illegally, stole it or didn't pay taxes on it, and all rich people are criminals sounds like someone reading posters at an OWS march.

That is the assumption being used to take stuff from anyone who has stuff. I don't shell out fro new cars--I consider that a waste of money. One third of the value of that vehicle evaporates when you drive it off the lot. That isn't a good investment. Instead, I look for reasonably well kept vehicles which will do the job I want done, have no mechanical issues, and a decent service record, and weigh the anticipated remaining mileage in that vehicle's life against the price.

My vehicles are all old enough to vote, and I recently drove one from the Montana line to the Chesapeake Bay and back with no issues, as I fully expected it to perform. I don't own it for status, but function. My clothing I have addressed, it protects me, it keeps my parts concealed from public view, it is durable, and that's what I want. People spend huge amounts of money impressing one another with their clothing and cars, but that leaves me with a lot of money left over to do other things with. Now, that money I saved is gone after an extended period of goofing off combined with dealing with family matters, so it's time to start piling it up again, but what is the point if I don't have

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

People will often live lean lives to have nice things. A guy who lives modestly might have rare books, or a valuable stamp or coin collection, a tin box full of little gold bars or silver, or a gun collection and a "stockpile" of ammo, or fine art on the walls, while he walks to work in worn out boots and faded jeans or drives a beat up old car there.

It's what makes him happy, what he feels is important that he will spend his life collecting, even if that is cash.

This was done sans warrant.
On the reaction of a dog.
I like dogs, I know they can smell things I can't.
They can hear things I can't.  My dog is my first line of defense against intruders, my alarm system, and I have known him long enough to tell whether or not he knows who is coming by his reaction, and even who that is.

I don't have anything against the dog, but the idea of the government setting the dogs against my property and person and using that fishing expedition to take my stuff bothers me, and it should bother you, too.

This is characterized as a "routine" search, but no search conducted on an American on American soil should be "routine".
We have become so inured to having our Rights violated, that conservatives now support this? We are metal detected, swabbed and sniffed at the airport (remove your shoes) put your stuff on the conveyor belt to be x-rayed. We are metal detected on entering public buildings and schools (get the kids used to that?). RFID scanned leaving the store, videotaped more than Johnny Carson, tracked by ez pass, phone GPS or triangulation, and have even those communications recorded by the NSA and others. Every non-cash purchase is recorded.

My grandfather would have shit. My great great grandfather would have rebelled. Instead, are we to meekly say "Go ahead take my stuff so I can be safe".

Yeah, If you don't have anything, no one can take it from you, and who better to deprive you of it than they guys with the authority, the network, and the weapons: The Government. But wait, the purpose of government was supposed to be to secure our Rghts, not trash them.

I am adamantly against the illicit drug trade in the US. I have seen a whole generation of my extended family, with a few exceptions, decimated by that shit. I have one grandson I have been happy to hear was in prison, because he has a chance to get clean and isn't on the street where he has died three times now. He'd be dead today, but the last time someone tossed his OD'd ass out of a pickup, the convenience store clerk locked his till, called 911 on the way to give him CPR and the policeman who pulled up had Narcan on board and administered the shot that saved his life.
You have no idea and no words can adequately express the animosity I have toward pushers. No point in profanity, even though four decades of construction work and oilfield have left me a virtuoso of the invective, it would be woefully inadequate.
I'd gladly support the death penalty for convicted drug dealers, out to the yard with them and bust some caps-- I'd gladly volunteer to man the rifle to help eliminate that scourge--as long as the conviction was just and not the product of someone seeding a 'crime scene' to justify stealing their stuff.

But I cannot, in good conscience, advocate nor support the wholesale deprivation of people of their assets without specific reason, other than they have them.  Follow the rules, if they are found guilty, loss of assets. Don't kick that money back to the agency who seizes them in order to eliminate some of the profit motive.

Which raises the next question.
How do we know it was ONLY $237K? Seems like an odd total. I thought the 'big boyz' liked round numbers. Did $13K go missing? More? $1K in fresh c-notes is about an eighth of an inch thick, doubled over. That hides fairly well.

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Oceander

« Reply #88 on: September 23, 2017, 10:54:05 pm »
The racism here is palpable.  Fascinating how so many supposedly good Americans are so willing to sell out the rights the Founders fought and died for because of their racism. 

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #89 on: September 23, 2017, 11:02:59 pm »

The judge has plenty of reason to refuse bail to someone he considers a flight risk, and who is charged with a crime.

Bad example. Try again.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #90 on: September 23, 2017, 11:03:42 pm »
We have become so inured to having our Rights violated, that conservatives now support this? We are metal detected, swabbed and sniffed at the airport (remove your shoes) put your stuff on the conveyor belt to be x-rayed. We are metal detected on entering public buildings and schools (get the kids used to that?). RFID scanned leaving the store, videotaped more than Johnny Carson, tracked by ez pass, phone GPS or triangulation, and have even those communications recorded by the NSA and others. Every non-cash purchase is recorded.

Yeah, If you don't have anything, no one can take it from you, and who better to deprive you of it than they guys with the authority, the network, and the weapons: The Government. But wait, the purpose of government was supposed to be to secure our Rghts, not trash them.

This entire conversation is an indictment and revelation of the fact that even among those who self-identify as Conservative or Constitutionalist - liberty is no longer valued.  Tyranny is valued because the idea of using government to confiscate property that they deem may be used in a crime, and to punish those we hate, and to make us safe and secure is all that matters to most of the population that now lives in this land.

We are conditioned already to accept and endure the scourge of Isms, for our own good and benefit.  It's amazing to read all the Apologetics and justifications for it.

And it illustrates that liberty on these shores, is lost - and as Adams warned in 1775 - is never regained.

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

« Reply #91 on: September 23, 2017, 11:18:57 pm »
A friend of mine got married several years back and after the reception he handed me a large envelope and asked me to hide it under the bed of their hotel room.  I'm pretty sure it had a bunch of cash in it from the reception.  I don't know/care how much, I didn't look, of course.  I will say I'm confident it wasn't drugs or a murder weapon, as he would have neither and wouldn't put me in that position if he did.

If I had been stopped carrying a large(?) amount of cash, should the cops take(/keep) it?  I can't prove I paid taxes on it (both because it's not my money, and there's no way to prove that taxes  have been paid on the particular money you happen to be carrying).  And I'm not sure it's even taxable income in the first place (and hey, maybe the lady in question with the quarter million simply received it over many years as gifts under the taxable limit?  NOT, but possible).
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #92 on: September 23, 2017, 11:20:07 pm »
Let's explore some things here.
(I went to the original article, but its sketchy -- not much info)

The lady was stopped by police for a "traffic violation".
OK so far.
The police can stop you for such things.

Article says:
"The money was discovered during a roadside investigation."

It doesn't state -in print- that a drug/cash sniffing dog was used as a part of that "investigation", but I think it's safe to assume that from the included picture.

I'll admit that I don't know what kind of "threshold" a drug-sniffing dog is trained to detect, but it must be enough so that they don't detect every piece of contaminated cash that one carries in one's pocket (as others in this thread have pointed out, nearly ANY non-new bill of paper money could have a -slight- contamination of drugs).

So I'm going to guess that the dog, during the course of routinely being escorted around the vehicle, "perked up" enough to alert its handlers that this vehicle contained -something- that "passed the threshold of detection" and thus met a certain standard.

At this point, with that standard passed, the concept of "reasonable suspicion" comes into play.

The article doesn't say whether the police then asked the driver to give consent to search the vehicle or not. We don't know that.
But again, the response of the dog warranted that the legal threshold of "reasonable suspicion" was present enough to investigate further.
So, reasonable suspicion gives way to probable cause, and the police searched the vehicle.

Aside:
Wasn't there a Supreme Court case not that long ago that decided that in some instances, the police can search a motor vehicle without taking the time to get a court-ordered warrant? On the grounds that, since it -is- a vehicle, that the vehicle might disappear while the warrant was being obtained?

As soon as the cops saw what WE see in the pic above, the alarm bells would be goin' off.
LOUDLY.

Money stacked and wrapped like that is unlikely (that's an understatement) to be in the process of innocently transported by a reasonably prudent person. And certainly not in that quantity.

Sumthin' ain't right here.
Even Ray Charles could see this one.

As I posted above, this lady's probably in more immediate danger from revenge by the cartel for whom she was transportin' the cash, rather than the police!

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #93 on: September 23, 2017, 11:31:10 pm »
A friend of mine got married several years back and after the reception he handed me a large envelope and asked me to hide it under the bed of their hotel room.  I'm pretty sure it had a bunch of cash in it from the reception.  I don't know/care how much, I didn't look, of course.  I will say I'm confident it wasn't drugs or a murder weapon, as he would have neither and wouldn't put me in that position if he did.

If I had been stopped carrying a large(?) amount of cash, should the cops take(/keep) it?

I would venture to say that given the replies by more than a few in this conversation, YES.  You do not have to be charged with a crime to have anything of value confiscated if deemed it may have been, or may yet be used in a  crime, even if there is no evidence of such crime.

I can't prove I paid taxes on it (both because it's not my money, and there's no way to prove that taxes  have been paid on the particular money you happen to be carrying).

Then you should go to jail until you proved you paid taxes on it, like the rest of us have to according to some.

And I'm not sure it's even taxable income in the first place

Irrelevant. 

Here...Jonathan Winters will explain it for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aNdEaOAHfg

Offline Texas Yellow Rose

• Native Texan
« Reply #94 on: September 23, 2017, 11:34:57 pm »
If she is dealing in that amount of money then she had to report it on her 4th quarter reporting Sept. 15.  If it was savings, she had to fill out documents at the bank.  You cannot deposit or withdraw large amounts of cash without reporting it.  If she did it in small amounts to avoid reporting, she will go to jail just like Hastert did.  That is called "structuring" and it is illegal.  Even a bank and its employees can get in big trouble for not reporting it.  $250,000 is a LOT of cash.  That would have required a BUNCH of reports if it ever went in and out of a bank.  It would have required one HEFTY quarterly tax payment if it was just income.

If she sold her own property to acquire that cash and so it was money reported years earlier, well....then she will have to account for who bought the items in order to prove it.  This is not a $25,000 car sale.  This is a quarter of a million dollars in cash riding around in the back of her car.  There was no search until the skilled dogs alerted them to probably cause.  Totally legal.

I'm having trouble with your statement that "If she is dealing in that amount of money then she had to report it on her 4th quarter reporting Sept. 15."  NO she didn't.  There can be several reasons why she didn't have to report it ($$$ from sale of main home [rules apply], inheritance, money from law suit $$$, lottery winnings assuming authorities would have withheld taxable amount for IRS ...  to name a few).  Otherwise, see penalty for underpayment of estimated taxes https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc300/tc306

Offline TomSea

« Reply #95 on: September 23, 2017, 11:36:28 pm »

OK so far.

Article says:

It doesn't state -in print- that a drug/cash sniffing dog was used as a part of that "investigation", but I think it's safe to assume that from the included picture.

I'll admit that I don't know what kind of "threshold" a drug-sniffing dog is trained to detect, but it must be enough so that they don't detect every piece of contaminated cash that one carries in one's pocket (as others in this thread have pointed out, nearly ANY non-new bill of paper money could have a -slight- contamination of drugs).

So I'm going to guess that the dog, during the course of routinely being escorted around the vehicle, "perked up" enough to alert its handlers that this vehicle contained -something- that "passed the threshold of detection" and thus met a certain standard.

At this point, with that standard passed, the concept of "reasonable suspicion" comes into play.

The article doesn't say whether the police then asked the driver to give consent to search the vehicle or not. We don't know that.
But again, the response of the dog warranted that the legal threshold of "reasonable suspicion" was present enough to investigate further.
So, reasonable suspicion gives way to probable cause, and the police searched the vehicle.

Aside:
Wasn't there a Supreme Court case not that long ago that decided that in some instances, the police can search a motor vehicle without taking the time to get a court-ordered warrant? On the grounds that, since it -is- a vehicle, that the vehicle might disappear while the warrant was being obtained?

As soon as the cops saw what WE see in the pic above, the alarm bells would be goin' off.
LOUDLY.

Money stacked and wrapped like that is unlikely (that's an understatement) to be in the process of innocently transported by a reasonably prudent person. And certainly not in that quantity.

As I posted above, this lady's probably in more immediate danger from revenge by the cartel for whom she was transportin' the cash, rather than the police!

Excellent analysis, even the Houston newspaper has this article among the "drug news"; and, possibly one thing left out above is that a drug task force was involved in this. Yes, there is probably entrapment sometimes by the police. I don't even like to drive the car late at night on a Saturday night. The police are out watching the roads. Some people argue the very constitutionality of road blocks by the police, a friend of mine got his license suspended for a year, being caught at one for DWI. Such arguments that even road blocks are not constitutional are certainly worth listening to.

Offline DB

« Reply #96 on: September 23, 2017, 11:40:51 pm »

OK so far.

Article says:

Aside:

LOUDLY.

No one is saying not to further investigate this. But if there wasn't a pound of cocaine found at the same time there's zero actual evidence the cash was from illegal activity no matter how "suspicious". To take the cash and demand that you have to prove it didn't come from criminal activity is the issue in the absence of actual evidence of criminal activity and is a basic violation of her constitutional rights.

What law says you can't have $250k in your car?

Offline DB

« Reply #97 on: September 23, 2017, 11:43:45 pm »
Excellent analysis, even the Houston newspaper has this article among the "drug news"; and, possibly one thing left out above is that a drug task force was involved in this. Yes, there is probably entrapment sometimes by the police. I don't even like to drive the car late at night on a Saturday night. The police are out watching the roads. Some people argue the very constitutionality of road blocks by the police, a friend of mine got his license suspended for a year, being caught at one for DWI. Such arguments that even road blocks are not constitutional are certainly worth listening to.

And what actual law did she break based on the evidence found in her car?

« Reply #98 on: September 23, 2017, 11:46:05 pm »
No one is saying not to further investigate this. But if there wasn't a pound of cocaine found at the same time there's zero actual evidence the cash was from illegal activity no matter how "suspicious". To take the cash and demand that you have to prove it didn't come from criminal activity is the issue in the absence of actual evidence of criminal activity and is a basic violation of her constitutional rights.

What law says you can't have $250k in your car?

The same one that says you can't have a $250k car with no money in it.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #99 on: September 23, 2017, 11:47:00 pm »
And what actual law did she break based on the evidence found in her car?

The Sheriff said they are considering "money laundering" charges.

Again, facts are short on this case, I looked for other articles that might have more info but did not find any. Maybe this county has information online on this case. Some counties do maintain some info on the web, jail roster and things like that.