Author Topic: Avast reckons CCleaner malware infected 2.27M users  (Read 4674 times)

Online roamer_1

Re: Avast reckons CCleaner malware infected 2.27M users
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2017, 08:35:38 pm »
Wow.  All 5, eh? 

Well.... I am having a recurring issue with a backdoor.bot that the free version of Malwarebytes finds, and quarantines....but it still keeps coming back.  I have removed anything and everything from that pc (I have another working one (Dell) that I use for financial stuff)....that hackers might want or could use.  It's just for surfing the net and games now.  But it still annoys the hell out of me whenever it shows back up in my "Start-up" folder.  Grrr....

Malwarebytes is a great tool, and I use it all the time. But if you think it takes the place of a true anti-virus, You've another think coming. Malwarebytes is rigged for anti-spyware, and while it is damn good at that, it is less usefull against classic viral attacks.

I'll tell you what. Go get Sophos free home product (good for 10 machines I think) and let it have at it. I think your trouble will be gone. If not, PM me and we'll git er done.

https://home.sophos.com/

Online roamer_1

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2017, 08:42:20 pm »
Probably the process of including bloatware into the software was the conduit.

Yes, they do allow promote piggyback shareware - You have to be careful not to install extra during installation - So it could be a secondary infaction in the install process, but I don;t think so, or it would only be limited to those who allow the piggyback software to activate installation...

This seems to be a direct infection of the installation executable.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2017, 09:39:32 pm »
Wow.  All 5, eh? 

Well.... I am having a recurring issue with a backdoor.bot that the free version of Malwarebytes finds, and quarantines....but it still keeps coming back.  I have removed anything and everything from that pc (I have another working one (Dell) that I use for financial stuff)....that hackers might want or could use.  It's just for surfing the net and games now.  But it still annoys the hell out of me whenever it shows back up in my "Start-up" folder.  Grrr....

My go-to program was combofix, but it's been replaced by farbar... which I haven't used because I haven't dealt with malware in so long. There is a program called tronscript that is supposed to work well.