Author Topic: Why Has Trump Seemingly Abandoned Pursuing a Term Limit Constitutional Amendment?  (Read 2409 times)

Offline Concerned

Can anyone explain why President Trump decided to abandon his pledge to propose a Constitution Amendment for Term Limits on Congress within the first 100 days?  Based on his many attacks on Congress and Congressmen, I don’t think it can be fear of alienating Congress.  This promise was literally the very first measure in his 100 Day Plan “to clean up the corruption and special interest collusion in Washington, DC”.  In fact, he pledged:

“FIRST, propose a Constitutional Amendment to impose term limits on all members of Congress;”

Proposing this was 100% within his control, and this was his promise to the American people and part of his 100 Day Plan.  He didn’t need Congress or even the states to draft this.  He could propose it and use the bully pulpit of his office to hammer home the importance of term limits in “draining the swamp”.  Instead he uses the bully pulpit of the Presidency in attempts to settle personal scores, name-call members of Congress (include his own party), and attack the media.  I’d much prefer he spend his time lobbying two-thirds of the states to call for a Constitutional Convention to consider the Constitutional Amendment he promised to propose (it seems obvious the US Congress won’t propose it).  So, any theories on why he didn’t propose this Constitutional Amendment that I think would significantly help to “drain the swamp”?

His 100 Day Plan can be found here:  http://www.npr.org/2016/11/09/501451368/here-is-what-donald-trump-wants-to-do-in-his-first-100-days
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline Concerned

Bump.  Nobody has a theory on this?  Was it just an outright lie from the git-go?  Did he cave to pressure from Congress?  Did he not understand the Constitutional Amendment process?  Has he changed his mind and now thinks that the swamp doesn’t really need draining?  What’s the explanation because I just don’t get it?  Drafting and proposing this amendment was 100% within his control.  He did a lot of other things on his 100 Day Plan that were within his control but why not pursue the very first item on his list?  Addressing this issue is one of the most important things I think that needs to be done.  What happened?

Offline endicom

He's been busy enough without that. 

Offline DB

Bump.  Nobody has a theory on this?  Was it just an outright lie from the git-go?  Did he cave to pressure from Congress?  Did he not understand the Constitutional Amendment process?  Has he changed his mind and now thinks that the swamp doesn’t really need draining?  What’s the explanation because I just don’t get it?  Drafting and proposing this amendment was 100% within his control.  He did a lot of other things on his 100 Day Plan that were within his control but why not pursue the very first item on his list?  Addressing this issue is one of the most important things I think that needs to be done.  What happened?

Art. Of. The. Deal.

Offline ConservativeGranny

Bump.   Was it just an outright lie from the git-go?

Yes. One of many.

Offline corbe

Art. Of. The. Deal.

Norman Vincent Peale (1898-1983) was his beloved Mothers favorite Preacher, He wrote 'Art of Living', if I'm not mistaken, just coincidence, perhaps.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Suppressed

Norman Vincent Peale (1898-1983) was his beloved Mothers favorite Preacher, He wrote 'Art of Living', if I'm not mistaken, just coincidence, perhaps.

Hmmm...that just made me think...

Interestingly, psychologist Albert Ellis wrote against Norman Vincent Peale's techniques, arguing that they could lead to Cluster B personality disorder.  He treated several former Peale adherents.

Narcissistic Personality Disorder is a Cluster B disorder like Borderline Personality Disorder.  Is that where Trump got his mental illness?

Huh...I just did a search, and it looks like we're not the first to make that connection:
http://www.revelist.com/politics/donald-trump-cult/5232/peale-instructed-readers-that-if-they-wished-for-something-they-wanted-they-would-receive-it--but-only-if-they-ignored-all-negative-thoughts/1
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline DB

Hmmm...that just made me think...

Interestingly, psychologist Albert Ellis wrote against Norman Vincent Peale's techniques, arguing that they could lead to Cluster B personality disorder.  He treated several former Peale adherents.

Narcissistic Personality Disorder is a Cluster B disorder like Borderline Personality Disorder.  Is that where Trump got his mental illness?

Huh...I just did a search, and it looks like we're not the first to make that connection:
http://www.revelist.com/politics/donald-trump-cult/5232/peale-instructed-readers-that-if-they-wished-for-something-they-wanted-they-would-receive-it--but-only-if-they-ignored-all-negative-thoughts/1
@corbe @Suppressed

I think you two landed on something...

Offline kevindavis007

Ok, in order the Constitution to be amended it has to pass 2/3 of both houses and 3/4 of all states.   Basically DOA.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Concerned

Ok, in order the Constitution to be amended it has to pass 2/3 of both houses and 3/4 of all states.   Basically DOA.

So apparently you think Trump's promise was DOA when he proposed it in November.  Do you think that was that out of ignorance or was it intentional on his part?

Trump's promise wasn't to amend the Constitution; it was to propose the Amendment.  That is 100% within his control.  It's not at all clear to me that a Term Limit Amendment, proposed by the President of the United States and sold from the bully pulpit of the President of the United States (especially once who is a great salesmen) would be DOA with the states.  By lobbying the states and getting 2/3 of the states on board, the amendment can be officially proposed through a Constitutional Convention.  It then requires 3/4 of the states to approve it.

https://usconstitution.net/constam.html
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 11:29:21 am by Concerned »

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...

He 'can' do it. However, based on recent behaviors, I question whether or not he still 'wants' to do it.

Somebody got to him. Somebody, some group, some thing, turned him and brought him 'in line' with the D.C. established order. If anyone can overcome the political pressures to 'conform', I vote and voted that Trump can beat it.

I am waiting and watching. We shall see.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Thank you.

It's a waste of time.

Offline Night Hides Not

Thank you.

It's a waste of time.

Yup, just like bringing up the repeal of the Electoral College.

ETA for clarification: Trump's "promise" to propose the amendment was political puffery, aka bull$hit for the masses.

The core, the epicenter of Trump's being is whatever makes him look good. If truth or integrity become casualties while making a deal, so be it. Trump supporters will give him a pass, citing the inevitability of collateral damage in Making America Great Again.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 01:45:04 pm by Night Hides Not »
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Concerned

Thank you.

It's a waste of time.

In that case, I think it’s a real shame we have a President apparently incapable of distinguishing good proposals from “wastes of time”.  Strike that.  It’s not a shame.  I find it alarming.  After all, he's the one who promised to propose the Constitutional Amendment.

Offline kevindavis007

So apparently you think Trump's promise was DOA when he proposed it in November.  Do you think that was that out of ignorance or was it intentional on his part?

Trump's promise wasn't to amend the Constitution; it was to propose the Amendment.  That is 100% within his control.  It's not at all clear to me that a Term Limit Amendment, proposed by the President of the United States and sold from the bully pulpit of the President of the United States (especially once who is a great salesmen) would be DOA with the states.  By lobbying the states and getting 2/3 of the states on board, the amendment can be officially proposed through a Constitutional Convention.  It then requires 3/4 of the states to approve it.

https://usconstitution.net/constam.html

He is not going to do it if there are no votes. Sorry..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Suppressed

Totally false. 

It takes none of that to propose an amendment -- something he promised.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Totally false. 

It takes none of that to propose an amendment -- something he promised.

@Suppressed

Did you vote for Donald Trump?   No?? 

So...any 'promise' he made wasn't meant for you.

Ergo.... what's your ###king problem? 

We all 'know' that the reason he caved on this is because he's not planning on ever leaving.      /s
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Suppressed

@Suppressed

We all 'know' that the reason he caved on this is because he's not planning on ever leaving.      /s

Oh, that's right... I remember that you never criticized Obama because you didn't vote for him. /s
+++++++++

Offline Night Hides Not

@Suppressed

Trump made the "promise" to the American people. I humbly suggest you and President Trump start considering the necessity to expand your base, instead of shrinking it. 40% won't get the job done in 2020.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

Offline Night Hides Not

Oh, that's right... I remember that you never criticized Obama because you didn't vote for him. /s

Forget it, he's on a roll.

Offline endicom

If Trump had proposed that amendment then he'd be denounced as a hollow, insincere, pandering, narcissistic, NY liberal floating meaningless proposals to sucker the rubes stuck on the stupid of his being the Orange God.

Offline Concerned

If this idea is so obviously “DOA”, has “no votes”, is “a waste of time”, and means he’ll be “denounced”, why did he promise to propose the amendment mere weeks before the election?   I’m starting to think Night Hides Not has it right when he says: “Trump's "promise" to propose the amendment was political puffery, aka bull$hit for the masses”.    If there’s another explanation for why he proposed it, I’d love to hear it.

Offline aligncare

It's become increasingly obvious now that no matter what Trump does or doesn't do, there's a contingent on the left and on the right who will unceasingly criticize him.

Best he ignore nattering nabobs and move forward with his agenda.

Offline Concerned

It's become increasingly obvious now that no matter what Trump does or doesn't do, there's a contingent on the left and on the right who will unceasingly criticize him.

Well, I’m certainly not in this contingent you refer to.  When the President does something I find praise-worthy, I praise him.  Gorsuch appears to be a great pick (but it’s still early).  I love what the President is doing on regulations.  The hurricane responses have been right on target with direct leadership from him and his cabinet.  He seems to be serious about fixing the VA.  That’s long overdue.   That’s certainly not “unceasingly critical”.

Likewise, when he does something I don’t like, I let that be known too (as it should be IMO).  I hate the continuation of deficit spending and his unwillingness to aggressively attack the debt.  I hate the broken, major campaign promises like proposing a Constitutional Amendment on term limits, “Lock her up”, and Mexico paying for the wall.

Term limits and the debt are two of my top issues.  He promised to propose a Constitutional Amendment on Term Limits within the first 100 Days.  He promised it.  I didn’t.  That was 100% within his control.  I don’t think it’s unreasonable to call him on it when he doesn’t do it, and nor do I think it’s unreasonable to ask why he proposed it in the first place if it's obviously not something he'd actually do.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 02:30:56 pm by Concerned »

Offline Night Hides Not

Forgive my ignorance, but what is Trump's agenda, now that he's snuggled up to Chuck and Nancy?

One needs a scorecard to keep up with the seemingly daily shifts in policy.