Author Topic: My brother’s killer is now my friend  (Read 1305 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
My brother’s killer is now my friend
« on: September 11, 2017, 02:16:14 pm »
My brother’s killer is now my friend
By Katya Cengel  8 September 2017

Denise Taylor had just graduated
from college when her brother
Bo was murdered.

For years she struggled to come to
terms with the loss.

Then she spent more than a decade
trying to get her brother's killer
out of prison.

There are already three women in the room when the Taylors arrive. Jim Taylor heads to the opposite corner from where the trio is seated. His grown-up daughter, Denise, follows him. The two groups eye each other uncomfortably. This is the room that you wait in before attending a parole board hearing where they decide whether a prisoner should be released.

Neither the women nor the Taylors are used to seeing other people here, at the Correctional Training Facility in Soledad, California. They are unsure if they are there in opposition to each other. They don’t talk, but they listen. After a few minutes they realise that they are all victims of a crime, and that they are attending different parole hearings. One of the women turns to the Taylors, a look of relief on her face. “You’re not the enemy,” she says. “I’m not the enemy to anybody, not even the defendant,” Jim replies.

Continued: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-sh/my_brothers_killer_is_now_my_friend

I thought some, especially from this area, might find this story of interest since you would be familiar with the general setting.

It's easy to be cynical with such a story. All I will say, is the 700 Club,  the show Pat Robertson started up, has had very similar stories to this before, e.g. family forgives murderer.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Re: My brother’s killer is now my friend
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 02:27:00 pm »
I thought some, especially from this area, might find this story of interest since you would be familiar with the general setting.

It's easy to be cynical with such a story. All I will say, is the 700 Club,  the show Pat Robertson started up, has had very similar stories to this before, e.g. family forgives murderer.

The media wants this IMO.

Offline bolobaby

Re: My brother’s killer is now my friend
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 03:43:31 pm »
I saw something similar in an episode of Longmire. The criminal and the victim appear to become friends, but the victim just has a long-term revenge play.

Better watch out, murderer! Truth is stranger than fiction!

;-)
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!