Author Topic: Live Thread: Hurricane Irma Is Heading Towards The Gulf Of Mexico  (Read 42247 times)

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Live Thread: Hurricane Irma Is Heading Towards The Gulf Of Mexico
« Reply #675 on: September 11, 2017, 01:15:12 pm »
@Smokin Joe they seem to like me so far.  Had a huge cookout for them yesterday at the park.

@Freya thank you.
Glad to hear it! Having a sudden influx of relatives can be trying on a good day, especially a crowd (that depends on the relatives, too).  I hope all continues to be harmonious, and enjoy!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #676 on: September 11, 2017, 01:16:59 pm »
All seems well so far but a few Floridians remain to be heard from.  Hopefully due to lack of power only.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline thackney

« Reply #677 on: September 11, 2017, 01:20:13 pm »
I found this interesting. I don't remember seeing this for other storms.

IRMA Graphics Archive:
3-day Forecast Track,Initial Wind Field and Watch/Warning Graphic
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/archive/2017/IRMA_graphics.php?product=3day_cone_no_line_and_wind

Watch how the prediction and actual storm path moves over the life of the storm.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #679 on: September 11, 2017, 01:46:09 pm »
@Smokin Joe they seem to like me so far.  Had a huge cookout for them yesterday at the park.

Great news!
@txradioguy
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #680 on: September 11, 2017, 01:59:26 pm »
...IRMA WEAKENS TO A TROPICAL STORM BUT STILL PRODUCING SOME WIND GUSTS TO NEAR HURRICANE FORCE...
8:00 AM EDT Mon Sep 11
Moving: NNW at 18 mph
Min pressure: 970 mb
Max sustained: 70 mph
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #681 on: September 11, 2017, 02:00:40 pm »
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

Offline thackney

« Reply #683 on: September 11, 2017, 02:12:08 pm »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #684 on: September 11, 2017, 02:13:11 pm »
Glad to hear it! Having a sudden influx of relatives can be trying on a good day, especially a crowd (that depends on the relatives, too).  I hope all continues to be harmonious, and enjoy!

So far so good.  A couple of the younger kids were a little upset and not handling it well...but I think running around in the park yesterday and eating some chicken and burgers calmed them down a little.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #685 on: September 11, 2017, 02:13:43 pm »
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #686 on: September 11, 2017, 02:29:11 pm »
Wondering why the networks, etc., are so lazy....they keep showing the circular animated icon as if 'IRMA' was still a hurricane even in Northern Alabama.  They just refuse to pack up an leave.

It's more like an old-fashioned Nor-Easter now, in terms of wind direction/speed.

Chris Planted (WMAL630am) played a clip of a NBC 'on-the-scene' weather reporter/lab rat saying that "Irma wasn't .......bad as we hoped!"   
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 02:30:07 pm by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #687 on: September 11, 2017, 02:43:41 pm »
Morning smile:

How soon is too soon to start eating
people after the power goes out?

Asking for a friend...

meme making the rounds this morning...   :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #688 on: September 11, 2017, 02:45:16 pm »
Morning smile:

Asking for a friend...

:silly:

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #689 on: September 11, 2017, 02:48:17 pm »
No damage here.  Been out of power since around 5:30 this morning, but genny is up and running the fridge and freezer.  Ended up with about 10.5" rain total between yesterday and today.  Still overcast and blustery, but nothing horrible.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #690 on: September 11, 2017, 02:49:24 pm »
So far so good.  A couple of the younger kids were a little upset and not handling it well...but I think running around in the park yesterday and eating some chicken and burgers calmed them down a little.

My new girlfriend has 5 kids 5 to 14. I love kids but I'm real glad she wants to keep her place for now. The younger 4 are mostly fine with coming here but the 14 year old girl hates everyone and everything and its all my fault. The oldest one did like me for a little while yesterday because I paid for her and a friend to go see "IT" and talked her mom into letting her go.

I'm real glad I ordered my lumber, doors and windows last month. When I called Lowes for delivery they told me that the prices were shooting up due to the hurricanes. What cost $2500 two weeks ago is over $3000 now. It helps that I got an 11% rebate which pays for my new garage door and I got a contractor discount for ordering it all at once.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #691 on: September 11, 2017, 02:50:07 pm »
Oh, and I think all of our 200' tall trees weathered ok. ;P

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #692 on: September 11, 2017, 02:51:34 pm »
Still waiting for word that the guy that was streaming from Marathon Florida is ok. Haven't heard from him since the storm.

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
« Reply #693 on: September 11, 2017, 02:54:13 pm »
The winds were pretty strong down there and the storm surge too.    Well keep praying for everyone down there.

Aye.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #694 on: September 11, 2017, 02:54:45 pm »
My new girlfriend has 5 kids 5 to 14. I love kids but I'm real glad she wants to keep her place for now. The younger 4 are mostly fine with coming here but the 14 year old girl hates everyone and everything and its all my fault. The oldest one did like me for a little while yesterday because I paid for her and a friend to go see "IT" and talked her mom into letting her go.

The two kids that are at my place are the ones that seem to be the most level headed of the bunch.  4th and 6th grade.  I think I've managed to turn the boy into a Cowboys fan to boot! :)

I'm real glad I ordered my lumber, doors and windows last month. When I called Lowes for delivery they told me that the prices were shooting up due to the hurricanes. What cost $2500 two weeks ago is over $3000 now. It helps that I got an 11% rebate which pays for my new garage door and I got a contractor discount for ordering it all at once.

Glad you were able to get the discount.  Makes me extremely mad that they raise the prices like that though to take advantage of the hurricane.

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
« Reply #695 on: September 11, 2017, 02:58:20 pm »

Oh, and I think all of our 200' tall trees weathered ok. ;P

:silly: :silly:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #696 on: September 11, 2017, 03:15:36 pm »
No damage here.  Been out of power since around 5:30 this morning, but genny is up and running the fridge and freezer.  Ended up with about 10.5" rain total between yesterday and today.  Still overcast and blustery, but nothing horrible.

Good news, RoosGirl!

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #697 on: September 11, 2017, 03:15:40 pm »
Run 'em till they are hungry, feed 'em and let them run till they zonk. They'll be fine. Little ones get more rattled when their routine is disrupted than they let on, but they adapt fast if the adults handle it in stride and don't make a big deal of things.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 03:16:48 pm by Smokin Joe »

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #698 on: September 11, 2017, 03:17:45 pm »

Glad you were able to get the discount.  Makes me extremely mad that they raise the prices like that though to take advantage of the hurricane.

I talked to a guy yesterday who works at a plywood plant.  Because of the weather and infrastructure damage, they can't get trees.  Supply is limited.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #699 on: September 11, 2017, 03:18:48 pm »
Morning smile:

Asking for a friend...

Wait until the fava beans are cooked and the Chianti has had a little time to breathe....
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 03:19:12 pm by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis