Author Topic: Live Thread: Hurricane Irma Is Heading Towards The Gulf Of Mexico  (Read 42221 times)

Offline RoosGirl

Re: Live Thread: Hurricane Irma Is Heading Towards The Gulf Of Mexico
« Reply #575 on: September 10, 2017, 04:48:00 pm »
If it does that, the eye will disintegrate....and become a tropical storm.   Right?   :shrug:

Eventually, but with such a big storm it'll take a while to not be a hurricane anymore.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #576 on: September 10, 2017, 05:03:00 pm »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #577 on: September 10, 2017, 05:03:54 pm »
1 day later, GFS still has #Jose near NE. Again, this model is unreliable 10 days out. It's not a forecast. Also need to wait for EURO model

« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 05:04:57 pm by mystery-ak »
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #578 on: September 10, 2017, 05:04:30 pm »

Here is tampa it's been raining for the last few hours.  Not a hard rain but cold.   Getting windy too
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #579 on: September 10, 2017, 05:07:10 pm »
#Brickell Ave looks like an ocean. Rivers of water taking over Miami's financial district. Unprecedented flooding.

Support the USO

Offline Applewood

« Reply #580 on: September 10, 2017, 05:22:25 pm »
My prayers are with all in Florida.

Ditto!  But I'm going to add the people of Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina and any other states in Irma's path.  Right now, there is still some debate as to where Irma goes once it leaves Florida.  Even though the storm might downgrade as it goes along, in terms of destruction and loss of life, I don't see much difference between the various categories.  Are 120 mph winds any less destructive than 160 mph winds?  And the flooding:  Water is water.  If your house is washed away, what difference does it make what category the storm is or was? 

I can see that in terms of damage and lives lost, Irma is going to be bad for far more people than just those in Florida.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #581 on: September 10, 2017, 05:24:11 pm »
Same here.  I have been watching and tracking storms for decades, and have never seen a storm this strong, this  large, and fast (going 8 mph) turn on a dime.

When these things usually happen they slow down to near stop first.
Problem with that is they usually gather strength when they do, if they aren't just beating the crap out of some patch of land and getting run down.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #582 on: September 10, 2017, 05:26:41 pm »
If it does that, the eye will disintegrate....and become a tropical storm.   Right?   :shrug:

It can vary, but a Cat 4 storm transversing level land like Florida can maintain Hurricane status for 100's of miles.  I think Rita stayed a Hurricane (>75 mph winds)  even up to Texarkana, and Katrina up to Tennessee. Way back with Camille (an anomoly) hurricane force winds  to VA.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #583 on: September 10, 2017, 05:26:59 pm »
There has been some backlash about putting weather reporters in harm's way.

Reminds me of a story from my dad. He was going through Yellowstone and a bunch of cars were stopped along side the road. He stopped to see what they were all looking at. He had to climb a small rise to see. It was a big bull buffalo, tossing its head, slinging snot, and pawing the ground. Some guy was trying to get a pic of it with his wife. He was telling her "get a little closer honey". Dad turned and left. I saw a vid a while back. Same scenario with a guy getting a little loser. The buffalo flipped him up about 20 feet head first into a pine tree.
What is it with idiot tourists and wildlife?
Buffalo are dangerous, ornery, critters, even if they are good eating.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #584 on: September 10, 2017, 05:28:55 pm »
I75 north is crowded from tampa north.  Big slowdown for about 20 miles south of ocala.  Otherwise good.  301 was very good.  I75 south was great.

Very few gas stations have gas.  Those that do have huge lines.  There are phone apps which will tell you which stations.

@IsailedawayfromFR @RoosGirl

Guess I should have left a little earlier.  301 was okay at first, but it took six hours to get to Jax. Sea of FL cars from there until I26 in SC where they disappeared.   
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #585 on: September 10, 2017, 06:07:36 pm »
.IRMA CONTINUES TO BATTER SOUTH FLORIDA... ...STRONGEST WINDS EXPECTED IN MARCO ISLAND/NAPLES AREA WITHIN THE NEXT COUPLE OF HOURS...
2:00 PM EDT Sun Sep 10
Moving: N at 12 mph
Min pressure: 936 mb
Max sustained: 120 mph
Support the USO

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #586 on: September 10, 2017, 06:09:43 pm »
.IRMA CONTINUES TO BATTER SOUTH FLORIDA... ...STRONGEST WINDS EXPECTED IN MARCO ISLAND/NAPLES AREA WITHIN THE NEXT COUPLE OF HOURS...
2:00 PM EDT Sun Sep 10

IF Irma actually progresses on the predicted track she will be the very first I have ever seen to move in a NW direction over land. Most move off to the NE.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #587 on: September 10, 2017, 06:12:50 pm »
It can vary, but a Cat 4 storm transversing level land like Florida can maintain Hurricane status for 100's of miles.  I think Rita stayed a Hurricane (>75 mph winds)  even up to Texarkana, and Katrina up to Tennessee. Way back with Camille (an anomoly) hurricane force winds  to VA.

In 2008, Ike (another Cat 4) made it from Galveston, TX, all the way up to Louisville, KY.  We had 60% of LG&E customers without power, and the governor declared a state of emergency.  Yeah, they can travel pretty far.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #588 on: September 10, 2017, 06:22:13 pm »
#Brickell Ave looks like an ocean. Rivers of water taking over Miami's financial district. Unprecedented flooding.

That's actually a photo of the Miami River, @mystery-ak, near its mouth. 

The photo is taken from approximately above this view (if you rotate to the right, you can see the building it was taken from):
https://goo.gl/maps/3DJunch7qe82

« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 06:38:08 pm by Suppressed »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #589 on: September 10, 2017, 06:23:36 pm »
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 06:24:22 pm by mystery-ak »
Support the USO

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #590 on: September 10, 2017, 06:42:30 pm »
In 2008, Ike (another Cat 4) made it from Galveston, TX, all the way up to Louisville, KY.  We had 60% of LG&E customers without power, and the governor declared a state of emergency.  Yeah, they can travel pretty far.

Back in 2005 Mrs. Liberty and I were road-tripping back East, and we were in the upper Midwest.  We had to cancel our planned stop at the Air Force museum in Dayton OH because it was being pummeled by the remnants of Katrina.  We had other changes of plans, we were going to visit friends in Houston and that was simply impossible with the wipe-out of I10.  We came home via Little Rock, where we met a bunch of refugees and heroes going in.  Fortunately we had our reservations in as soon as we knew we were rerouting.  Rita was a couple weeks later.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 06:43:49 pm by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #591 on: September 10, 2017, 07:04:42 pm »
I recall going through the remnants of Fran in the UP of Michigan many years ago. The storms can go a long way in the interior, (no longer tropical storms, but a remnant) it just seems to be  a question of which side of the Blue Ridge they are running along.

C S Lewis

« Reply #592 on: September 10, 2017, 07:19:58 pm »
Great job yesterday by FL LEO keeping traffic flowing.

Pulled in to a rest stop in SC around 11 last night.  Some locals were handing out free treats for kids and pets.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #593 on: September 10, 2017, 07:31:30 pm »
Back in 2005 Mrs. Liberty and I were road-tripping back East, and we were in the upper Midwest.  We had to cancel our planned stop at the Air Force museum in Dayton OH because it was being pummeled by the remnants of Katrina.  We had other changes of plans, we were going to visit friends in Houston and that was simply impossible with the wipe-out of I10.  We came home via Little Rock, where we met a bunch of refugees and heroes going in.  Fortunately we had our reservations in as soon as we knew we were rerouting.  Rita was a couple weeks later.

I recall going through the remnants of Fran in the UP of Michigan many years ago. The storms can go a long way in the interior, (no longer tropical storms, but a remnant) it just seems to be  a question of which side of the Blue Ridge they are running along.

Yep.  We've gotten plenty of remnants before, but Ike actually gave us hurricane force winds -- 80mph.  Wild stuff.  Tornadoes, we know; hurricanes, not so much.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

« Reply #594 on: September 10, 2017, 07:32:21 pm »
Weren't you just in the Seattle area?

Wasn't me.  Haven't been there in like 15 years.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #595 on: September 10, 2017, 07:35:32 pm »
..300 PM EDT POSITION UPDATE... ...CENTER OF DANGEROUS HURRICANE IRMA NEARING NAPLES...
3:00 PM EDT Sun Sep 10
Support the USO

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #596 on: September 10, 2017, 07:46:07 pm »
Wasn't me.  Haven't been there in like 15 years.

No. It was someone else. I removed my post when I realized my mistake.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #597 on: September 10, 2017, 07:48:41 pm »
Yep.  We've gotten plenty of remnants before, but Ike actually gave us hurricane force winds -- 80mph.  Wild stuff.  Tornadoes, we know; hurricanes, not so much.

I was upset at not making it to Dayton.  I wanted to show off the Valkyrie there.  I think it's the only one left.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 07:51:05 pm by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #598 on: September 10, 2017, 08:02:00 pm »
Anybody watching the people in Naples on CNN?  Totally nuts!

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #599 on: September 10, 2017, 08:06:46 pm »
Anybody watching the people in Naples on CNN?  Totally nuts!

You watch CNN?  :police:
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley