Author Topic: Live Thread: Hurricane Irma Is Heading Towards The Gulf Of Mexico  (Read 42277 times)

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Re: Live Thread: Hurricane Irma Is Heading Towards The Gulf Of Mexico
« Reply #551 on: September 10, 2017, 01:05:59 pm »
Looks like the eye is passing over the keys now.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Applewood

« Reply #552 on: September 10, 2017, 01:09:35 pm »
@Applewood

Had the same thought just a couple of minutes ago. I always wonder, when I see those guys, do they have their own food and water? Where are they going to stay when it hits? Does the network they work for have some kind of magic helicopter that is going to pull them out at the last minute.

Anyway, I agree. That has always confused me too. Especially when all they have to do if they want to monitor the conditions of a particular location, is to put up a live-cam and then get the hell out.

Oh, the anchor safely at his desk in New York assured the viewers that every precaution was being taken to ensure the reporters' safety.  One reporter was standing on a balcony of a condominium highrise that was supposedly hurricane proof.  Meanwhile, someone else said these hurricane-proof buildings can withstand up to 120 mph winds and I think last I heard the winds were around 160 mph.  Plus the reporter was standing on the balcony.  I don't care if the building can withstand hurricane-force winds.  Standing on a balcony means you are still outside and that allegedly hurricane-proof building is not going to protect you if you are outside.

I don't think networks will ever stop this nonsense until one of their reporters gets killed. 

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #553 on: September 10, 2017, 01:17:28 pm »
 NHC Atlantic Ops‏Verified account @NHC_Atlantic 3m3 minutes ago

...LOWER FLORIDA KEYS IN THE EYE OF #IRMA - Centered at 9 a.m. about 20 mi east of Key West.  http://hurricanes.gov  @NWS  @NOAA
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #554 on: September 10, 2017, 01:27:56 pm »
I don't think networks will ever stop this nonsense until one of their reporters gets killed.

Reporters get killed all the time, mostly in war-zones, or trying to do a story on Hillary Clinton. But I am not aware of any reporter being killed while reporting on weather. However, if that is bound to happen, Irma is a good candidate for being the perp who did it.

I just wonder if these reporters are tying up emergency services, or using resources which would be better allocated to locals. I think we both agree, that many people see these reports is as being more 'stupid' than exhilarating.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 02:59:41 pm by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #556 on: September 10, 2017, 01:42:03 pm »
https://www.pscp.tv/w/bIPc4zF4blFyeXhlTW55RVl8MWpNSmdQT3ZPTmt4TIrKqDQufpgFPR99GXvlVV8dbMmYGqz83Q9hUDvp0u2a

Guy live streaming from the keys storm surge is almost over his house

This guy was live streaming and it cut out just as the storm surge was hitting, people are asking if he's ok.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #557 on: September 10, 2017, 02:05:53 pm »
Bear hunting involves beer and guns and also fishing.

Hanging plywood is kinda like work.  Totally different.

I thought you were killing the bears with your teeth and bare hands.  ;)

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #558 on: September 10, 2017, 03:03:24 pm »
Fox News reporting that Irma has shifted course and is now heading 000, due North. This means that it will cut a swath right through the middle of central Florida. It is Cat 4.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #559 on: September 10, 2017, 03:10:29 pm »
 Mike Augustyniak‏Verified account @MikeAugustyniak 1m1 minute ago

JUST IN: new update from @NHC_Atlantic tracks #Irma 's eye (strongest winds) along west FL coast; a direct hit

Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #560 on: September 10, 2017, 03:11:23 pm »
My sister's house on Sanibel will take a direct hit....
Support the USO

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #561 on: September 10, 2017, 03:12:51 pm »
Support the USO

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #562 on: September 10, 2017, 03:14:43 pm »
Last I looked at the prediction it was a hit into St. Pete, so looks like it's shifted back east a bit and back through Ft. Myers area.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #563 on: September 10, 2017, 03:19:46 pm »

Reporters get killed all the time, mostly in war-zones, or trying to do a story on Hillary Clinton. But I am not aware of any reporter being killed while reporting on weather. However, if that is bound to happen, Irma is a good candidate for being the perp who did it.

I just wonder if these reporters are tying up emergency services, or using resources which would be better allocated to locals. I think we both agree, that many people see these reports is as being more 'stupid' than exhilarating.

The potential for injury or even death was palpable from the reporting I saw this morning.  One reporter standing on a highrise balcony was holding onto something for dear life.  Had she let go for even an instant, she may well have been swept away.  She was 13 floors up.  She could have been killed.

When I was at my heaviest (220 pounds), I worked in an office building that seemed like it was located in a wind tunnel. The winds in the rest of the city could be nearly calm, but at or near this building, the winds could be gale-force.  I can't tell you how many times I stepped out of that building and was literally lifted off my feet by the wind. And at 220, pounds,  I'm reasonably sure I was a lot heavier than the female reporter on a highrise balcony this morning.

If there is a legitimate reason to be put in harm's way, maybe I could understand. I just don't think a hurricane or any weather event is a legitimate reason.   I saw Governor Scott urging people to leave.  He issued a mandatory evacuation. If this storm was dangerous enough to order residents to leave, then what the H are the news hounds doing there?  Isn't it dangerous for them too?

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #564 on: September 10, 2017, 03:21:15 pm »
Last I looked at the prediction it was a hit into St. Pete, so looks like it's shifted back east a bit and back through Ft. Myers area.

@libertybele is from Ft. Meyers? Hoping she is safe.  :0001:
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #565 on: September 10, 2017, 03:23:04 pm »

Looks like Fox got it wrong. Or they do not know what 'due North' means. 350 degrees is not 'due North'. So, either they are ignorant about how to report directions, or they were misreporting for some reason. In the report I watched, they must have said the term 'due North' over a dozen times. And this is totally incorrect.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #566 on: September 10, 2017, 03:25:41 pm »

:amen:

@mystery-ak

My brother's homes in Bradenton and Siesta Key will probably be severely impacted. He buttoned up as best he could and evacuated. Is your sister safe?
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline anubias

« Reply #567 on: September 10, 2017, 03:34:52 pm »
The latest track does not look good at all for Floridians to me. The worst side of the hurricane dumping on the state while it picks up water from the Gulf?  Somebody please tell me that I'm way off base here.

Offline anubias

« Reply #568 on: September 10, 2017, 03:38:18 pm »
The potential for injury or even death was palpable from the reporting I saw this morning.  One reporter standing on a highrise balcony was holding onto something for dear life.  Had she let go for even an instant, she may well have been swept away.  She was 13 floors up.  She could have been killed.

When I was at my heaviest (220 pounds), I worked in an office building that seemed like it was located in a wind tunnel. The winds in the rest of the city could be nearly calm, but at or near this building, the winds could be gale-force.  I can't tell you how many times I stepped out of that building and was literally lifted off my feet by the wind. And at 220, pounds,  I'm reasonably sure I was a lot heavier than the female reporter on a highrise balcony this morning.

If there is a legitimate reason to be put in harm's way, maybe I could understand. I just don't think a hurricane or any weather event is a legitimate reason.   I saw Governor Scott urging people to leave.  He issued a mandatory evacuation. If this storm was dangerous enough to order residents to leave, then what the H are the news hounds doing there?  Isn't it dangerous for them too?

I have had the TV off for at least a week. I refuse to watch the insanity.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #569 on: September 10, 2017, 03:39:35 pm »
The latest track does not look good at all for Floridians to me. The worst side of the hurricane dumping on the state while it picks up water from the Gulf?  Somebody please tell me that I'm way off base here.

Reporting that water is leaving Tampa Bay and rivers on the west side of Florida. That water will come back with a vengeance as storm surge. Horrifying.

In Miami storm surge happening now, streets flooding downtown, and some constructions cranes have collapsed or "cracked."
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #570 on: September 10, 2017, 03:41:58 pm »

I'm pretty sure she bugged out a couple days ago.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #571 on: September 10, 2017, 03:44:45 pm »
Support the USO

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #572 on: September 10, 2017, 03:47:31 pm »
:amen:

@mystery-ak

My brother's homes in Bradenton and Siesta Key will probably be severely impacted. He buttoned up as best he could and evacuated. Is your sister safe?

My sister is at her other home in Chicago...so she didn't have to evac.
Support the USO

Offline anubias

« Reply #573 on: September 10, 2017, 03:55:20 pm »
Reporting that water is leaving Tampa Bay and rivers on the west side of Florida. That water will come back with a vengeance as storm surge. Horrifying.

In Miami storm surge happening now, streets flooding downtown, and some constructions cranes have collapsed or "cracked."

My prayers are with all in Florida. 

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #574 on: September 10, 2017, 04:36:08 pm »
Fox News reporting that Irma has shifted course and is now heading 000, due North. This means that it will cut a swath right through the middle of central Florida. It is Cat 4.

If it does that, the eye will disintegrate....and become a tropical storm.   Right?   :shrug:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald