Author Topic: Live Thread: Hurricane Irma Is Heading Towards The Gulf Of Mexico  (Read 42239 times)

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Re: Live Thread: Hurricane Irma Is Heading Towards The Gulf Of Mexico
« Reply #350 on: September 08, 2017, 09:56:12 am »
The forecasters are now saying that it will hit Florida directly and head-on. The entire State will be affected.

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/hurricane-irma-bahamas-florida-georgia-carolinas-forecast
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #351 on: September 08, 2017, 10:24:27 am »
The forecasters are now saying that it will hit Florida directly and head-on. The entire State will be affected.

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/hurricane-irma-bahamas-florida-georgia-carolinas-forecast

Oh dear- prayers aren't enough. I don't know what to say. You all are in my thoughts. Know that...I'm so dang sorry.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 10:27:11 am by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
« Reply #352 on: September 08, 2017, 10:34:32 am »

I'm sure it will be quite a ride.  Can't wait until it's over.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #353 on: September 08, 2017, 01:35:08 pm »
Letter on the hurricane of August 1772
by Alexander Hamilton   

This was written by Hamilton to his father in the American colonies. He showed it to a local reverend, who got it published in a local newspaper. The vivid descriptions so moved people that they started a fund to move Hamilton to New York to get a proper education, thus this letter greatly shaped early American history. This version is taken from A few of Hamilton's letters: including his description of the great West Indian hurricane of 1772 (The Macmillan Company, 1903), pp. 261ff. Other versions vary somewhat in wording.
https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Letter_by_Alexander_Hamilton_on_the_hurricane_of_August_1772

Saint Croix, September 6, 1772

Honoured Sir,

I take up my pen just to give you an imperfect account of the most dreadful hurricane that memory or any records whatever can trace, which happened here on the 31st ultimo at night.

It began about dusk, at North, and raged very violently till ten o'clock. Then ensued a sudden and unexpected interval, which lasted about an hour. Meanwhile the wind was shifting round to the South West point, from whence it returned with redoubled fury and continued so till near three o'clock in the morning. Good God! what horror and destruction—it's impossible for me to describe—or you to form any idea of it. It seemed as if a total dissolution of nature was taking place. The roaring of the sea and wind—fiery meteors flying about in the air—the prodigious glare of almost perpetual lightning—the crash of the falling houses—and the ear-piercing shrieks of the distressed, were sufficient to strike astonishment into Angels. A great part of the buildings throughout the Island are levelled to the ground—almost all the rest very much shattered—several persons killed and numbers utterly ruined—whole families running about the streets unknowing where to find a place of shelter—the sick exposed to the keenness of water and air—without a bed to lie upon—or a dry covering to their bodies—our harbour is entirely bare. In a word, misery in all its most hideous shapes spread over the whole face of the country.— A strong smell of gunpowder added somewhat to the terrors of the night; and it was observed that the rain was surprisingly salt. Indeed, the water is so brackish and full of sulphur that there is hardly any drinking it.

My reflections and feelings on this frightful and melancholy occasion are set forth in following self-discourse.

Where now, Oh! vile worm, is all thy boasted fortitude and resolution? what is become of thy arrogance and self-sufficiency?—why dost thou tremble and stand aghast? how humble—how helpless—how contemptible you now appear. And for why? the jarring of the elements—the discord of clouds? Oh, impotent presumptuous fool! how darest thou offend that omnipotence, whose nod alone were sufficient to quell the destruction that hovers over thee, or crush thee into atoms? See thy wretched helpless state and learn to know thyself. Learn to know thy best support. Despise thyself and adore thy God. How sweet—how unutterably sweet were now the voice of an approving conscience;—then couldst thou say—hence ye idle alarms—why do I shrink? What have I to fear? A pleasing calm suspense! a short repose from calamity to end in eternal bliss?—let the earth rend, let the planets forsake their course—let the sun be extinguished, and the heavens burst asunder—yet what have I to dread? my staff can never be broken—in omnipotence I trust.

He who gave the winds to blow and the lightnings to rage—even him I have always loved and served—his precepts have I observed—his commandments have I obeyed—and his perfections have I adored.—He will snatch me from ruin—he will exalt me to the fellowship of Angels and Seraphs, and to the fulness of never ending joys.

But alas! how different, how deplorable—how gloomy the prospect—death comes rushing on in triumph veiled in a mantle of ten-fold darkness. His unrelenting scythe, pointed and ready for the stroke.—On his right hand sits destruction, hurling the winds and belching forth flames;—calamity on his left threatening famine, disease, distress of all kinds.—And Oh! thou wretch, look still a little further; see the gulf of eternal mystery open—there mayest thou shortly plunge — the just reward of thy vileness.—Alas! whither canst thou fly? where hide thyself? thou canst not call upon thy God;—thy life has been a continual warfare with him.

Hark! ruin and confusion on every side.—Tis thy turn next: but one short moment—even now—Oh Lord help—Jesus be merciful!

Thus did I reflect, and thus at every gust of the wind did I conclude,—till it pleased the Almighty to allay it.—Nor did my emotions proceed either from the suggestion of too much natural fear, or a conscience overburdened with crimes of an uncommon cast.—I thank God this was not the case. The scenes of horror exhibited around us, naturally awakened such ideas in every thinking breast, and aggravated the deformity of every failing of our lives. It were a lamentable insensibility indeed, not to have had such feelings,—and I think inconsistent with human nature.

Our distressed helpless condition taught us humility and a contempt of ourselves.—The horrors of the night—the prospect of an immediate cruel death—or, as one may say, of being crushed by the Almighty in his anger—filled us with terror. And everything that had tended to weaken our interest with Him, upbraided us, in the strongest colours, with our baseness and folly.—That which, in a calm unruffled temper, we call a natural cause, seemed then like the correction of the Deity.—Our imagination represented him as an incensed master, executing vengeance on the crimes of his servants.—The father and benefactor were forgot, and in that view, a consciousness of our guilt filled us with despair.

But see, the Lord relents—he hears our prayers—the Lightning ceases—the winds are appeased—the warring elements are reconciled, and all things promise peace.—The darkness is dispelled—and drooping nature revives at the approaching dawn. Look back, Oh, my soul—look back and tremble.—Rejoice at thy deliverance, and humble thyself in the presence of thy deliverer.

Yet hold, Oh, vain mortal!—check thy ill-timed joy. Art thou so selfish as to exult because thy lot is happy in a season of universal woe?—Hast thou no feelings for the miseries of thy fellow-creatures, and art thou incapable of the soft pangs of sympathetic sorrow?—Look around thee and shudder at the view.—See desolation and ruin wherever thou turnest thine eye. See thy fellow-creatures pale and lifeless; their bodies mangled—their souls snatched into eternity—unexpecting—alas! perhaps unprepared!—Hark the bitter groans of distress—see sickness and infirmities exposed to the inclemencies of wind and water—see tender infancy pinched with hunger and hanging to the mother's knee for food!—see the unhappy mother's anxiety—her poverty denies relief—her breast heaves with pangs of maternal pity—her heart is bursting—the tears gush down her cheeks—Oh sights of woe! Oh distress unspeakable!—my heart bleeds—but I have no power to solace!—Oh ye, who revel in affluence, see the afflictions of humanity, and bestow your superfluity to ease them.—Say not, we have suffered also, and with-hold your compassion. What are your sufferings compared to these? Ye have still more than enough left.—Act wisely.—Succour the miserable and lay up a treasure in Heaven.

I am afraid, sir, you will think this description more the effort of imagination, than a true picture of realities. But I can affirm with the greatest truth, that there is not a single circumstance touched upon which I have not absolutely been an eye-witness to.

Our General has several very salutary and human regulations, and both in his public and private measures has shown himself the man.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #354 on: September 08, 2017, 02:58:44 pm »
https://www.weatherbell.com/irma-feed

September 8, 2017

Daily Update from Joe Bastardi
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #355 on: September 08, 2017, 03:31:16 pm »
https://www.weatherbell.com/irma-feed

September 8, 2017

Daily Update from Joe Bastardi

Jose just became a catagory 4

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2017/09/hurricanes_jose_and_katia_both_1.html

Don't know if we need a separate thread for Jose at this time
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 03:33:04 pm by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #356 on: September 08, 2017, 03:38:01 pm »
Jose just became a catagory 4

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2017/09/hurricanes_jose_and_katia_both_1.html

Don't know if we need a separate thread for Jose at this time
Not just yet, for Jose, I don't think. There are other fish to fry for the moment. Katia is a Cat 2, but looks to be heading to Mexico. Irma and Jose are at Cat 4.

Did Karl Rove sell his evil weather machine to the Democrats on eBay or something? The Russians?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Applewood

« Reply #357 on: September 08, 2017, 03:38:18 pm »
3 storms at the same time, plus Harvey last week.  God must be extremely angry at us. 

By the way, I agree with Bastardi about the "spaghetti" models.  Confusing and annoying.  Like him, the only spaghetti I want is in a plate with red sauce and meatballs.

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #358 on: September 08, 2017, 03:45:42 pm »
3 storms at the same time, plus Harvey last week.  God must be extremely angry at us. 

Yep. The Leftist are saying that God is angry at America for electing Trump...except...Leftists don't believe in God. Therefore, they are saying that Mother Nature, or their God Gaia, is angry at America for electing Trump.

Who knew Mother Nature was a Democrat? Oh well, live and learn, I guess?
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #359 on: September 08, 2017, 03:48:49 pm »

Yep. The Leftist are saying that God is angry at America for electing Trump...except...Leftists don't believe in God. Therefore, they are saying that Mother Nature, or their God Gaia, is angry at America for electing Trump.

Who knew Mother Nature was a Democrat? Oh well, live and learn, I guess?

It's not nice to fool Mother Nature.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #360 on: September 08, 2017, 03:58:37 pm »

By the way, I agree with Bastardi about the "spaghetti" models.  Confusing and annoying.  Like him, the only spaghetti I want is in a plate with red sauce and meatballs.

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,280335.0.html

Hurricane scientists have never seen an image like this before
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline Applewood

« Reply #361 on: September 08, 2017, 04:02:13 pm »

Yep.  Saw that.  Scary as hell.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #362 on: September 08, 2017, 04:17:49 pm »

That's interesting.  Within two posts on that link, a picture was shown of the same thing in 2010.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #363 on: September 08, 2017, 04:29:56 pm »
That's interesting.  Within two posts on that link, a picture was shown of the same thing in 2010.

What is the average career length of a meteorologist? Probably not that much considering their accuracy. After being so consistently wrong, day after day,  how long does it take before you are finding a new career?
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #364 on: September 08, 2017, 04:34:34 pm »
What is the average career length of a meteorologist? Probably not that much considering their accuracy. After being so consistently wrong, day after day,  how long does it take before you are finding a new career?

But people are lazy and who remembers that Joe Blow said that ____ would happen in ____ and it didn't?  Except for a few very high profile types, we just don't keep track of their accuracy.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #365 on: September 08, 2017, 04:50:59 pm »
How about some Hurricane Sign Language dudes?

http://i.imgur.com/R9WyapU.mp4

http://i.imgur.com/pdx84lI.mp4
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #366 on: September 08, 2017, 05:12:40 pm »

Ask that question of an Economist.  I think their accuracy rate is lower than Meteorologists.
I will NOT comply.

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #367 on: September 08, 2017, 05:17:24 pm »

Interesting stuff.

How Do Hurricanes Get Their Names?
By Sarah B. Puschmann, Staff Writer | September 8, 2017 10:12am ET

https://www.livescience.com/60340-how-are-hurricanes-named.html

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #368 on: September 08, 2017, 05:31:07 pm »
https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2017/09/photos-from-saint-martin-after-hurricane-irma/539103/
Photos of the Devastation Across Saint Martin Left by Hurricane Irma

many photos at link
Support the USO

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #369 on: September 08, 2017, 05:39:27 pm »
https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2017/09/photos-from-saint-martin-after-hurricane-irma/539103/

many photos at link

The libs will love this....Bastiat's broken windows!
+++++++++

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #370 on: September 08, 2017, 05:42:33 pm »
Thanks for the link....What a mess.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #371 on: September 08, 2017, 05:56:15 pm »

many photos at link

I have to say that most of the buildings look better than I expected.  I know there's a lot of material loss there, but jeez, a direct hit from that monster of a storm and only 8 deaths seems like a dingdang miracle to me.

It gives me a little bit more hope that what we're going to get where I am won't be so horrible.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 05:57:24 pm by RoosGirl »

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #372 on: September 08, 2017, 06:07:58 pm »
I have to say that most of the buildings look better than I expected.  I know there's a lot of material loss there, but jeez, a direct hit from that monster of a storm and only 8 deaths seems like a dingdang miracle to me.

It gives me a little bit more hope that what we're going to get where I am won't be so horrible.
That's 8 confirmed. I would not be surprised if there are some folks 'missing', yet. If you look at the aerial shots, there is a lot of roof damage on buildings which look pretty good from lower angles. Also hurricane shutters on those buildings may mask internal damage far worse than the outside would reveal. Sand is notorious for getting through small cracks and being deposited, and lower floors may have considerable accumulations if they were inundated. Some of the frame structured did not fare well at all. I am not sure how high the interior of the island is, but objects on higher ground may have avoided the storm surge and done better.

C S Lewis

Offline musiclady

« Reply #373 on: September 08, 2017, 06:32:16 pm »
How many of our TBR folks are in Florida?

Still there??  Evacuated???

Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #374 on: September 08, 2017, 06:37:54 pm »
That's 8 confirmed. I would not be surprised if there are some folks 'missing', yet. If you look at the aerial shots, there is a lot of roof damage on buildings which look pretty good from lower angles. Also hurricane shutters on those buildings may mask internal damage far worse than the outside would reveal. Sand is notorious for getting through small cracks and being deposited, and lower floors may have considerable accumulations if they were inundated. Some of the frame structured did not fare well at all. I am not sure how high the interior of the island is, but objects on higher ground may have avoided the storm surge and done better.

Yeah, but considering the storm that they took, I think a lot of the buildings did pretty well.  Some roof damage is better than flattened houses.  Sand through cracks is not a big deal to me compared to the flattened houses we saw with Andrew.