Author Topic: Live Thread: Hurricane Irma Is Heading Towards The Gulf Of Mexico  (Read 42240 times)

Offline RoosGirl

Re: Live Thread: Hurricane Irma Is Heading Towards The Gulf Of Mexico
« Reply #275 on: September 06, 2017, 07:00:34 pm »
Yep.  But not nearly what it would be like on the dirty side!

Storm surge will be bad on this side though.  A little further away from the full moon would have been nice.

Wingnut

« Reply #276 on: September 06, 2017, 07:40:21 pm »
SC knows it is coming too!

South Carolina declares state of emergency, seeks federal disaster declaration for Hurricane Irma
By Andy Shain and Jam

COLUMBIA — Gov. Henry McMaster has declared a state of emergency Wednesday as Hurricane Irma lurches on a possible path through South Carolina.

McMaster said he plans to ask the White House for a federal disaster declaration later Wednesday to get aid to South Carolina faster if the now-Category 5 storm hits the Palmetto State. The governor told reporters that he is not concerned about getting federal resources despite ongoing disasters with post-Hurricane Harvey flooding in Texas and wildfires in California.

If Hurricane Irma strikes South Carolina, possibly as early as Sunday night, it would be roughly the power of Hurricane Hugo in 1989, a Category 4 storm that caused $6.5 billion in damage, killed 13 people and left 137,000 residents without power in the state.

http://www.postandcourier.com/hurricane-guide/south-carolina-declares-state-of-emergency-as-hurricane-irma-moves/article_b69c24da-931d-11e7-9bae-139da7220370.html

Online roamer_1

« Reply #277 on: September 06, 2017, 07:48:00 pm »
We can do the Innuendo
We can dance and sing
When it's said and done
We haven't told you a thing
We all know that Crap is King

But the hook brings you back...
I ain't tellin' you no lie
the hook brings you back
on that you can rely

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdz5kCaCRFM
http://www.metrolyrics.com/hook-lyrics-blues-traveler.html?ModPagespeed=noscript

Offline libertybele

« Reply #278 on: September 06, 2017, 07:55:28 pm »
Storm surge will be bad on this side though.  A little further away from the full moon would have been nice.

Right now it's way too early to say that the western side of FL isn't going to take a direct hit. Even if it veers more to the east as you stated we will get storm surge and with winds that high and the storm covering the entire state; I think we will see significant catastrophic flooding.  Florida is surrounded by water.  Evacuations have already started south of me and on the east coast.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #279 on: September 06, 2017, 08:00:39 pm »
And the models have been moving the track eastward recently, so the trend is for it to be more to the east side of the prediction cone.

It's a Cat 5 and 100 miles wide. Unless Irma shifts hard right all of  Florida is screwed.  My luck, she'll head back west.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #280 on: September 06, 2017, 08:13:48 pm »
It's a Cat 5 and 100 miles wide. Unless Irma shifts hard right all of  Florida is screwed.  My luck, she'll head back west.

It's not Cat5 winds out that far.  I ain't saying we won't get a good blowin' but *if* it goes up the east coast Ft. Myers isn't going to be demolished by any means.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #281 on: September 06, 2017, 08:17:44 pm »
Propane running low in Tampa.   No noticeable northbound traffic on Veterans (275 was backed up, but it always is around this time of day).

Went to Ace to refill a tank.  It was, of course, too old and they didn't have any new tanks.  Several people in line for propane.

Walmart had none for exchange (according to another customer who saw me looking at the cage).

Oh well, guess I'll have to make due with four tanks instead of five.

BTW, I've found that it is much cheaper to refill than exchange.  They both cost about the same, but with exchanges you get a tank that is at least 1/4 empty.  However, when I do need to exchange (tanks are good for 12 years, see the two digit date stamped on the handle -- though I think they MIGHT be able to remanufacture them once?) I get a much better deal from the exchange-only places.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Mom MD

« Reply #282 on: September 06, 2017, 08:59:38 pm »
Right now it's way too early to say that the western side of FL isn't going to take a direct hit. Even if it veers more to the east as you stated we will get storm surge and with winds that high and the storm covering the entire state; I think we will see significant catastrophic flooding.  Florida is surrounded by water.  Evacuations have already started south of me and on the east coast.

My Naples family bailed yesterday.  Hopefully the routes out will stay open but once Miami Dade starts evac the roads will be terrible
God is still in control

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #283 on: September 06, 2017, 09:23:59 pm »
SC knows it is coming too!

South Carolina declares state of emergency, seeks federal disaster declaration for Hurricane Irma
By Andy Shain and Jam

COLUMBIA — Gov. Henry McMaster has declared a state of emergency Wednesday as Hurricane Irma lurches on a possible path through South Carolina.

McMaster said he plans to ask the White House for a federal disaster declaration later Wednesday to get aid to South Carolina faster if the now-Category 5 storm hits the Palmetto State. The governor told reporters that he is not concerned about getting federal resources despite ongoing disasters with post-Hurricane Harvey flooding in Texas and wildfires in California.

If Hurricane Irma strikes South Carolina, possibly as early as Sunday night, it would be roughly the power of Hurricane Hugo in 1989, a Category 4 storm that caused $6.5 billion in damage, killed 13 people and left 137,000 residents without power in the state.

http://www.postandcourier.com/hurricane-guide/south-carolina-declares-state-of-emergency-as-hurricane-irma-moves/article_b69c24da-931d-11e7-9bae-139da7220370.html

Oh #*##*^I u

Rain rain go away....
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 09:24:56 pm by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Wingnut

« Reply #284 on: September 06, 2017, 09:38:54 pm »
It's not Cat5 winds out that far.  I ain't saying we won't get a good blowin' but *if* it goes up the east coast Ft. Myers isn't going to be demolished by any means.

Nor Tampa.  Ifing it keeps tracking  as is It will just be a a Jim Morrison event.

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #285 on: September 06, 2017, 09:47:01 pm »

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #286 on: September 06, 2017, 10:10:13 pm »
Nor Tampa.  Ifing it keeps tracking  as is It will just be a a Jim Morrison event.

As I remember it, Charley was headed right for Tampa, then suddenly and unexpectedly veered toward Port Charlotte.  Stuff happens.

I'm probably going to find a place near the intersection of I-75 and I-10 to hang out and watch and see what happens.  Not too far from home, but a heck of a lot more options if I do need to get the HOOD.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Wingnut

« Reply #287 on: September 06, 2017, 10:15:04 pm »
As I remember it, Charley was headed right for Tampa, then suddenly and unexpectedly veered toward Port Charlotte.  Stuff happens.

I'm probably going to find a place near the intersection of I-75 and I-10 to hang out and watch and see what happens.  Not too far from home, but a heck of a lot more options if I do need to get the HOOD.

This afternoon I was checking hotels for Monday and Tuesday nights  just across the boarder in Alabammy as a safety valve.  I had to go to go as far Bessemer to find a vacancy at your chain type roadside Bedbug for a night.   I said screw it.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 10:15:59 pm by Wingnut »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #288 on: September 06, 2017, 10:41:19 pm »
This afternoon I was checking hotels for Monday and Tuesday nights  just across the boarder in Alabammy as a safety valve.  I had to go to go as far Bessemer to find a vacancy at your chain type roadside Bedbug for a night.   I said screw it.
Just sleep in the pickup.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #289 on: September 06, 2017, 10:45:27 pm »

Rule of thumb is if the danger is wind, batten it down.  If it's floods, get out.

Speaking of winds, Ron White:  Sure, you can stand up to 125 MPH winds, but how well can you stand up to a Buick being blown by 125 MPH winds?  Just make sure your windows are nailed shut, Wings.  You have a bit of a blow coming.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Wingnut

« Reply #290 on: September 06, 2017, 10:55:45 pm »
Just sleep in the pickup.

The Cab or in the Bed?  :shrug:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #291 on: September 06, 2017, 10:57:40 pm »
The Cab or in the Bed?  :shrug:
Depends on the weather...and the neighborhood. It's why I take the van when I travel. I can always crash in the back, even if I have to move the load around.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #292 on: September 06, 2017, 10:58:06 pm »
live coverage from CNN/

(CNN)Reports of fatalities and widespread damage in northern Caribbean islands began to emerge Wednesday night after Hurricane Irma barreled through, packing devastating winds and rain.

At least two people have died and two others were seriously injured in St. Barts and St. Martin, said French Overseas Affairs Minister Annick Girardin. At least one death was reported in Barbuda, according to ABS TV Antigua. Charles Fernandez, minister of foreign affairs and international trade for Antigua and Barbuda, told ABS that destruction on Barbuda was "upwards of 90%."

Irma destroyed government buildings, tore roofs from houses and left northern Caribbean islands without power or communications.

Antigua, Barbuda, St. Martin/St. Maarten and St. Barts have felt the fury of the Category 5 storm, one of the strongest ever recorded in the Atlantic, according to updates from the region.

French Interior Minister Gérard Collomb said the prefecture, police department, barracks -- some of the strongest buildings on the island of 75,000 people -- had been destroyed, boding ill for weaker structures on St. Martin.

"In terms of material damage, the four strongest buildings on the island of St. Martin have been destroyed, which means that the oldest buildings have undoubtedly been totally or partially destroyed," he told reporters.

The firehouse in St. Barts is under a meter of water and is out of service, according to an update posted to Twitter by the local government of the neighboring French territory, Guadeloupe.

"Firefighters have taken shelter in an upstairs room. A number of houses have suffered damage, roofs have been ripped out. Total loss of electricity," it said.

The mayor's office in St. Martin has been partially destroyed, the update from Guadeloupe said, and the mayor and 23 others took shelter in a concrete-walled room.

The island has been without electricity since 6 a.m. local time, it said. St. Martin and St. Barts are French overseas collectivities.

Virginia Barreras told CNN she was riding out the storm in a hotel in St. Martin.

"The palm trees are bent over and (I) can't see anything but white," she said early Wednesday, before Irma's core passed over the island. "The walls shake when the wind blows hard, and we can hear debris being thrown around."

Footage posted to YouTube by PTZtv.com from Maho Beach, St. Maarten, showed winds so powerful they reportedly took out the webcam filming the scene.

Fallen trees, flash flooding

Irma's core, with maximum sustained winds of 185 mph -- well above the 157 mph threshold of a Category 5 -- slammed Barbuda early Wednesday before hitting St. Martin and Anguilla.

Keithley Meade, director of the Antigua and Barbuda Meteorological Services, said the extent of the destruction on Barbuda was hard to determine as communications were completely down.

"B
arbuda was heavily damaged by Irma. So badly damaged that there is no communication, so we don't know how much. There has been no communication with the island," he said.
[/color]
The islands are experiencing heavy rain at present, and flash flooding is expected, Meade said. Authorities will go out later to assess the damage and send crews to clear a large number of fallen trees, he said.

A later statement from the Antigua and Barbuda Meteorological Services said there had been no reports so far of deaths and that "the preliminary report is indicating that damage across Antigua and Barbuda is minimal."

Before communications went down about 12:30 a.m. local time, it said, "the Barbuda Weather Station, monitored by the Met Office, recorded sustained winds of 119 mph and gusts of 150 mph." The gusts were as high as 154 mph before the measuring instrument broke.

After slamming St. Martin, Anguilla and St. Kitts and Nevis, the storm was expected to move near the British Virgin Islands and northern US Virgin Islands.

The storm's center is then expected to pass near or just north of Puerto Rico on Wednesday afternoon or night.

Forecasters warn that Irma's likely path will be near the Turks and Caicos Islands on Thursday and the southeastern Bahamas on Friday -- and that the destruction could be devastating.

In the Bahamas, emergency evacuations have been ordered for six southern islands -- Mayaguana, Inagua, Crooked Island, Acklins, Long Cay and Ragged Island.

CNN's Bijan Hosseini and Matou Diop contributed to this report.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/06/americas/hurricane-irma-caribbean-islands/index.html[/color]

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 11:07:50 pm by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #293 on: September 06, 2017, 11:16:35 pm »

Right.  Even here just west of Orlando I ain't too concerned.  Hurricane force winds, that means 74 mph min., are ranging up to 50 miles from the center.  We're about 50 miles from the coast, as the crow flies, so *if* it travels along the east coast we'll barely see hurricane strength winds.  The west coast, another 50 miles away will probably barely get tropical storm winds.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #294 on: September 06, 2017, 11:17:40 pm »

The latest prediction is that Irma will head more to the east and west of Okachobee will see lots of rain, tropical storm winds and minimal storm surge.  That path is reliant on the winds turning Irma sharply towards the north east.  If she doesn't take that turn, then we could be in big trouble. After getting hit by Charley I'm hesitant to assume we're out of the woods; Charley took a turn at the very last minute and his path was unexpected and caught a lot of people off guard. Too early yet to breathe a sigh of relief.  Also some are projecting that as it enters the area that it is supposed to make a turn to the east it has a chance for more strengthening.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #295 on: September 06, 2017, 11:22:17 pm »
Send some rain up here to put out some of these fires.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Wingnut

« Reply #296 on: September 06, 2017, 11:40:15 pm »
The latest prediction is that Irma will head more to the east and west of Okachobee will see lots of rain, tropical storm winds and minimal storm surge.  That path is reliant on the winds turning Irma sharply towards the north east.  If she doesn't take that turn, then we could be in big trouble. After getting hit by Charley I'm hesitant to assume we're out of the woods; Charley took a turn at the very last minute and his path was unexpected and caught a lot of people off guard. Too early yet to breathe a sigh of relief.  Also some are projecting that as it enters the area that it is supposed to make a turn to the east it has a chance for more strengthening.

Strong westerly steering currents in the Gulf and another low pressure/cold front dropping down from the Dakota's will preclude any left turn back west across florida ala Charlie.   This Bad girl just needs to act like a bitch and slap Miami and head back north in the Atlantic.

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #297 on: September 07, 2017, 01:10:22 am »
@libertybele Is it possible to get a hotel room and find a nearby vet with boarding facilities?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 01:11:44 am by LadyLiberty »

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #298 on: September 07, 2017, 01:38:09 am »
Strong westerly steering currents in the Gulf and another low pressure/cold front dropping down from the Dakota's will preclude any left turn back west across florida ala Charlie.   This Bad girl just needs to act like a bitch and slap Miami and head back north in the Atlantic.
Just a little Miami Vice, huh?

Wingnut

« Reply #299 on: September 07, 2017, 02:13:08 am »
Just a little Miami Vice, huh?

Put Crockett and Tubbs on the job!