Author Topic: Live Thread: Hurricane Irma Is Heading Towards The Gulf Of Mexico  (Read 42246 times)

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Live Thread: Hurricane Irma Is Heading Towards The Gulf Of Mexico
« Reply #75 on: September 04, 2017, 02:42:28 am »
@Cyber Liberty

For those of us who have homes in the path are concerned.  Not to mention that I'm supposed to be in Canada bear hunting and may have to cancel if it hits Florida.
Bear hunt or no, I have lots of Kin in MD and VA tidewater, and can understand your concern. I have been through a couple of smaller hurricanes when I was younger, and they were no fun.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #76 on: September 04, 2017, 02:53:58 am »
Landfall around Baltimore would be nice.  And Just.
I wouldn't wish that on kinfolk well within that envelope. Besides, it'd have to hit Delaware first, coming in from the ocean. No way it's take a hard right at Cape Charles and go up the Bay.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #77 on: September 04, 2017, 02:59:19 am »
As I understand it, they said "heading towards", not "heading to".
With that stupid logic, you could say it is 'heading towards' California as well.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #78 on: September 04, 2017, 03:08:20 am »
With that stupid logic, you could say it is 'heading towards' California as well.
Yep. Parsing words, you could. California is west of there, and so is China.

(Yes the headline is misleading in that it pushes panic where there is no just cause to do so. Hurricanes almost always head west from that part of the ocean.)

C S Lewis

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #79 on: September 04, 2017, 02:18:44 pm »
Hurricane Irma strengthens as it heads toward Leeward Islands
CNN, Sep 5, 2017, 9:53 AM ET

The newest hurricane that could threaten North America intensified Monday morning, though its future path remains uncertain.

As of 8 a.m. ET, Hurricane Irma was about 610 miles (980 kilometers) east of the Leeward Islands, the National Hurricane Center said. It's packing maximum sustained winds of 120 mph (195 kph) as it headed west-northwest at 14 mph (22 kph).

The islands of Antigua, Barbuda, Anguilla, Montserrat, St. Kitts, Saint Martin and Nevis, at the eastern edge of the Caribbean, are now under hurricane watches. More hurricane or tropical storm watches could follow for the British and US Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico.

Irma is expected to remain a "dangerous major hurricane" through the week and could directly affect the British and US Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, Hispaniola, Turks and Caicos, and the Bahamas, the agency said.

Puerto Rico Gov. Ricardo Rossello warned the public on Sunday that the island could feel Irma's wrath around noon Wednesday.

Florida governor says be prepared

It's too soon to know the impact Irma could have on the continental United States, where no warnings or watches are currently in effect.

"Regardless, everyone in hurricane-prone areas should ensure that they have their hurricane plan in place, as we are now near the peak of the season," the National Hurricane Center said.

Florida Gov. Rick Scott urged the state's residents to ensure their disaster supply kits were ready.

More: http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/04/us/hurricane-irma-puerto-rico-florida/

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #80 on: September 04, 2017, 02:23:06 pm »
Hurricane Irma a Growing Concern For the United States; Potential Serious Threat to Leeward Islands, Puerto Rico, Hispaniola, Bahamas and Cuba
Weather.com; Sep 4, 2017

More: https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/irma-major-hurricane-atlantic-ocean-leeward-islands

Offline Mom MD

« Reply #81 on: September 04, 2017, 02:53:34 pm »
As I understand it, they said "heading towards", not "heading to".

Every forecast track I see bends it closer to Florida and now even in the gulf.  My southern Florida family is bugging out on a day or two.  People can make fun of those of us watching the trends and after it hits they will be the same ones disparaging the folks who did not pay attention and protect themselves days ahead of time.  I for one am happy my somewhat elderly parents won't be  aught in a last minute panic evac of south Florida.   If nothing happens they will have had a nice visit with family for a week.  If the worst happens they will be 2 less people needing rescue
God is still in control

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #82 on: September 04, 2017, 02:56:23 pm »
https://worldview.earthdata.nasa.gov/?p=geographic&l=VIIRS_SNPP_CorrectedReflectance_TrueColor(hidden),MODIS_Aqua_CorrectedReflectance_TrueColor(hidden),MODIS_Terra_CorrectedReflectance_TrueColor,Reference_Labels(hidden),Reference_Features(hidden),Coastlines&t=2017-09-02&z=3&v=-165.31863839285705,-45.38599330357143,-5.990513392857068,60.70630580357143

The slider at the bottom lets you back up a day at a time and see progress. Yes, for those who want to, you can see satellite images of Harvey by doing that, too. Each satellite pass is a band of imagery, currently, the latest posted ends in mid atlantic, but more will be added as it is available and the image updated.

C S Lewis

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #83 on: September 04, 2017, 03:09:08 pm »
Every forecast track I see bends it closer to Florida and now even in the gulf.  My southern Florida family is bugging out on a day or two.  People can make fun of those of us watching the trends and after it hits they will be the same ones disparaging the folks who did not pay attention and protect themselves days ahead of time.  I for one am happy my somewhat elderly parents won't be  aught in a last minute panic evac of south Florida.   If nothing happens they will have had a nice visit with family for a week.  If the worst happens they will be 2 less people needing rescue

@Mom MD

Anyone who dismisses a storm that brings 150mph winds is a fool.  They are usually the ones that die or will look to the govt to beg for help after.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Mom MD

« Reply #84 on: September 04, 2017, 03:14:36 pm »
@Mom MD

Anyone who dismisses a storm that brings 150mph winds is a fool.  They are usually the ones that die or will look to the govt to beg for help after.

Bastardi now has storm as a cat 4 making landfall over sw fla Naples/ft Meyers area
God is still in control

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #85 on: September 04, 2017, 03:15:55 pm »
Bastardi now has storm as a cat 4 making landfall over sw fla Naples/ft Meyers area

That s 1 1/2 hours from my house.  About 100 miles.

Offline Mom MD

« Reply #86 on: September 04, 2017, 03:27:01 pm »
That s 1 1/2 hours from my house.  About 100 miles.

Be safe and Godspeed   My parents live in Naples.  Bugging out tomorrow
God is still in control

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #87 on: September 04, 2017, 03:32:25 pm »
Be safe and Godspeed   My parents live in Naples.  Bugging out tomorrow

I'm in Canada bear hunting.  Have wifi but limited travel options to get back.  Where are they going?

Offline Mom MD

« Reply #88 on: September 04, 2017, 03:41:17 pm »
I'm in Canada bear hunting.  Have wifi but limited travel options to get back.  Where are they going?

Jax to stay with my  either initially   If it looks like it may hit there they will go to my son in St. Louis or can stay with me in Denver.  Prepared to be out of house for 4 weeks
God is still in control

Wingnut

« Reply #89 on: September 04, 2017, 04:20:25 pm »

*Yawn*

Wake me when the know for sure. 

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #90 on: September 04, 2017, 04:38:00 pm »

I just got up, and saw the new models.  This is not good news for the Gulf.  Rule of thumb is if a storm like this hits the Gulf, somebody's going to get hurt.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline starstruck

• Hoping 2018 is a good year
Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people�s liberty teeth and keystone under independence. � George Washington

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #93 on: September 04, 2017, 06:54:21 pm »

I'm slowly making preparations and watching.  I don't need to leave yet, but when I do I'll be ready.  I want to be out of FL before everybody else decides what to do.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Online Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #94 on: September 04, 2017, 07:00:12 pm »
Jax to stay with my  either initially   If it looks like it may hit there they will go to my son in St. Louis or can stay with me in Denver.  Prepared to be out of house for 4 weeks

@Mom MD be safe. I'm thinking of you.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Mom MD

« Reply #95 on: September 04, 2017, 07:02:10 pm »
@Mom MD be safe. I'm thinking of you.

Thanks @Freya
My folks will be out of SW fla by Wednesday noon.  Let's pray for those who do t have the option to leave
God is still in control

Offline libertybele

« Reply #96 on: September 04, 2017, 07:26:30 pm »

Looks like we may be packing up pretty soon. The models show the it could hit all the way up into Sarasota.  We made it through Charley, but Charley was unique as it wasn't a very wide hurricane and the storm surge was minimal; we experienced more tornadoes than storm surge.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 07:29:03 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #97 on: September 04, 2017, 08:40:29 pm »
Prayers for all having to leave their homes. Still hoping it makes a hard right and doesn't hit land.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #98 on: September 04, 2017, 08:48:33 pm »
If you look at the history of "similar" storms that is what has happened.

It's looking like Donna back in the '60's.  She went through the Antilles, made landfall in Marathon (Keys) Fl with sustained winds of 145 mph; a strong Cat 4  went out in Gulf and came back and made another landfall at the same intensity in Naples/Ft. Myers Beach/Ft. Myers, went out in Gulf and re-emerged in the Carolina's as a Cat. 2.

I've heard more stories about Donna for those that have been in the area than Charley; it battered FL twice with the same intensity and the storm surge was much worse.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #99 on: September 04, 2017, 08:52:25 pm »
Prayers for all having to leave their homes. Still hoping it makes a hard right and doesn't hit land.

I'm praying it makes a hard right too as we are sitting on the water (sigh) and most importantly, I'm hoping that the forecasters are correct that it will be this weekend and not earlier.  Need time to get up storm shutters. Luckily we just got the roll downs repaired. I'll be booking hotel tomorrow just in case.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 08:56:46 pm by libertybele »