Author Topic: A THREE MILE-wide asteroid, that could end life as we know it if it hits, will make a 'close encounter' with Earth on Friday  (Read 2410 times)

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...

DailyMail
By Phoebe Weston For Mailonline
PUBLISHED: 04:16 EDT, 30 August 2017 | UPDATED: 04:50 EDT, 30 August 2017

A massive asteroid estimated to be 2.7 miles wide is set to make a ‘relatively close encounter’ with Earth on 1 September.
Dubbed ‘Florence,’ the huge space rock will pass just 4.4 million miles from our planet on Friday – or, about 18 times the distance between Earth and the moon.

According to NASA, this is the closest an asteroid of this size has come since they first began tracking near-Earth objects, giving scientists an unprecedented opportunity to study it up close through ground-based radar observations.
The asteroid is large enough to end life as we know it if it hits, but NASA says this won't happen this week.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4835784/A-THREE-MILE-wide-asteroid-set-pass-Earth-Friday.html#ixzz4rHBzshaP
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Suppressed

Seems like we see a lot more of these things since we started looking for them.  Let's close our eyes again before we get hit!

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
I guess we'll be able to see it fly by on Friday. I'm going to try to get a look at it. Looks like it will pass about 8 am. So, I see no reason not to take a look.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

I guess we'll be able to see it fly by on Friday. I'm going to try to get a look at it. Looks like it will pass about 8 am. So, I see no reason not to take a look.

Well, it's less than 1/600th the diameter of the moon and will be 18 times as far away.  Good luck.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
OH MY GOD, WE"RE ALL GONNA DIE.............AGAIN!

Sorry about the screaming, I just wanted to heard over the hyperbole.

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Well, it's less than 1/600th the diameter of the moon and will be 18 times as far away.  Good luck.

Yeah, I know. And it is in the daylight. Oh well, if it is a clear day, you never know. Why not?

I had a beautiful scope man. I used it all the time. But, it was lost in the divorce. Either her new boyfriend/husband? is enjoying it now, or it is in some pawn shop somewhere. I'm going to have to get a new one. I've been thinking about it for a while, but just haven't gotten around to it yet. Now that I'm thinking about it, maybe now is a good time.

Offline dfwgator

Wingnut

Our planet has a great defense system against such hits.

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...

Oceander

Offline dfwgator

More like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYOKMUTTDdA

"Hey Hey Hey Hey Hey! Pull that bus over to the side of the pretentiousness turnpike, alright!? I want everybody off the bus. I want the shiny people over here, and the happy people over here, ok! I represent angry gun-toting meat-eating .......... people, alright!" Sit down and shut the .... up Michael!" - Dennis Leary

Wingnut

"Hey Hey Hey Hey Hey! Pull that bus over to the side of the pretentiousness turnpike, alright!? I want everybody off the bus. I want the shiny people over here, and the happy people over here, ok! I represent angry gun-toting meat-eating .......... people, alright!" Sit down and shut the .... up Michael!" - Dennis Leary
It's a rainy afternoon
In 1990
The big city geez it's been 20 years-
Candy-you were so fine

Beautiful beautiful
Girl from the north
You burned my heart
With a flickering torch
I had a dream that no one else could see
You gave me love for free

Wrong Thread.   My bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdpTcvSn8HQ&list=PLMqLooOeUlbpmKBKU_GRhj8ATag6sRvil&index=41

Offline Suppressed

R.E.M. rocks!

I remember in the early days of the Internet getting widespread usage, I chatted with someone going by "Stipey".  Yeah, it turned out to be Michael Stipe.  Cool dude.

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Suppressed

More like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYOKMUTTDdA

The inspiration for "Shiny Happy People Holding Hands" is a great example of irony.  It was based on a propaganda poster by the murderous Chinese government.

And Kate Pierson...wow... The very definition of Lipstick Lesbian.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 12:10:18 am by Suppressed »
+++++++++

Offline GtHawk

Liberal Hippie Antifa Bullshit.

I only picked it because the title was appropriate to the BS disaster movie premise!

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
R.E.M. rocks!

One of my favorite groups.
:)

Saw them 4 times in concert in my teens, and twenties. - sorry that was the B- 52s. Saw REM once in the mid 80s they weren't really famous yet.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 12:33:25 am by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Wingnut

I only picked it because the title was appropriate to the BS disaster movie premise!

You didn't choose wisely!   Please try again!   lol

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
I remember in the early days of the Internet getting widespread usage, I chatted with someone going by "Stipey".  Yeah, it turned out to be Michael Stipe.  Cool dude.

Omg. I had the biggest. Crush on him until I found out he didn't like women  I love that band though. Seriously

As for the asteroid do think it's SWOD?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 12:35:33 am by Freya »

Offline GtHawk

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer

We'll just have to Begin The Begin
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 01:52:13 am by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.