Author Topic: HARVEY HORROR: SHIVERING TOT FOUND CLINGING TO DROWNED MOM  (Read 805 times)

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
HARVEY HORROR: SHIVERING TOT FOUND CLINGING TO DROWNED MOM
« on: August 30, 2017, 08:11:48 pm »

Associated Press
Aug 30, 7:00 AM EDT

BEAUMONT, Texas (AP) -- Authorities found a shivering toddler clinging to the body of her drowned mother in a rain-swollen canal in Southeast Texas after the woman tried to carry her child to safety from Harvey's floods.

Capt. Brad Penisson of the fire-rescue department in Beaumont said the woman's vehicle got stuck Tuesday afternoon in the flooded parking lot of an office park just off Interstate 10. Squalls from Harvey were pounding Beaumont with up to 2 inches (5 centimeters) of rain an hour at the time with 38 mph (60 kph) gusts, according to the National Weather Service.

Penisson said a witness saw the woman take her 18-month-old daughter and try to walk to safety when the swift current of a flooded drainage canal next to the parking lot swept them both away.

The child was holding onto the floating woman when a police and fire-rescue team in a boat caught up to them a half-mile downstream, he said. Rescuers pulled them into the boat just before they would have gone under a railroad trestle where the water was so high that the boat could not have followed.

(more)
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_HARVEY_MOTHER_DIES_CHILD_LIVES?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2017-08-30-07-00-54
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Suppressed

Re: HARVEY HORROR: SHIVERING TOT FOUND CLINGING TO DROWNED MOM
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 08:26:09 pm »
Definitely horrific.  I hope the child recovers.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 08:44:57 pm »
Heartbreaking.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 10:43:53 pm »
May God bless the little girl and her rescuers and may He welcome the mother into His kingdom.

Offline ConservativeGranny

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 11:48:52 pm »
Thankfully at such a young age it is doubtful that the child will remember the experience. But she will have the pain of growing up without her mom and knowing that her mother died trying to save her life. Hopefully she has many loving family members to help her.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 11:59:42 pm »
While this is very very sad, no one should die in a rain like this unless one is stupid.

There was not that much wind, and it was slowly rising water.  Boats are plentiful.

The only currents that could affect you are in the big drainage ditches.  NO reason to be near them unless you are stupid.

A kid was not well placed with parents.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online berdie

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 12:04:05 am »
While this is very very sad, no one should die in a rain like this unless one is stupid.

There was not that much wind, and it was slowly rising water.  Boats are plentiful.

The only currents that could affect you are in the big drainage ditches.  NO reason to be near them unless you are stupid.

Was it slow rising water?? Were boats plentiful??

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2017, 12:31:27 am »
Was it slow rising water?? Were boats plentiful??
Yes Yes
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2017, 07:34:44 am »

Currents, even the ditches themselves, are not readily apparent when the water is high. CNN had on where the crew was filming and pulled some guy out of his pickup after he drove into one of those ditches. From the crew's location, the current and depth of the water were not apparent, and I don't believe the driver could tell either, or he would have backed up. As it was, it only cost him a pickup.
Note, from the OP: 
Penisson said a witness saw the woman take her 18-month-old daughter and try to walk to safety when the swift current of a flooded drainage canal next to the parking lot swept them both away.

Someone on foot might feel the current, but I question how many people know enough about dealing with unknown water hazards who haven't dealt with them directly to make all the right choices, especially when worn out by events. 

The last thing mom did for the kid was provide something to cling to to survive, and it cost her her life to do that.
No kid could ask for more, really, than their mom protect them, even in death.
YMMV
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 07:36:48 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline DB

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2017, 08:11:35 am »

A missing manhole cover or drain at a curb under the water surface could have a huge amount of water flowing into it where you can't see it on the surface. Get near it and get sucked in.