Author Topic: Orpheum theater won’t show ‘Gone With the Wind,’ calling film ‘insensitive’  (Read 1368 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Orpheum theater won’t show ‘Gone With the Wind,’ calling film ‘insensitive’
News3/Memphis, Aug 25, 2017, David Royer

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — “Gone With the Wind” will be gone from The Orpheum’s summer movie series, the theater’s board said Friday.

The Orpheum Theatre Group decided not to include the 1939 movie about a plantation in the Civil War-era South in its 2018 Summer Movie Series after feedback from patrons following the last screening Aug. 11.

As an organization whose stated mission is to ‘entertain, educate and enlighten the communities it serves’, the Orpheum cannot show a film that is insensitive to a large segment of its local population,” the theater’s operators said in a statement.

Memphis’ population is about 64 percent African-American.

The historic theater in Downtown Memphis has shown the movie for decades, but this year’s event “generated numerous comments,” leading to the decision.

“While title selections for the series are typically made in the spring of each year, the Orpheum has made this determination early in response to specific inquiries from patrons,” the Orpheum group said.

http://wreg.com/2017/08/25/orpheum-theater-wont-show-gone-with-the-wind-calling-film-insensitive/

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Recognized by most as one of the greatest movies of all time.

Likely now will just show Chris Rock's filthy live comedy show now.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer

I don't know nothing about showing no movies!
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline mountaineer

It ain't fittin'. It jes ain't fittin'.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online goatprairie

Recognized by most as one of the greatest movies of all time.

Likely now will just show Chris Rock's filthy live comedy show now.
Personally, I found it to be pretty boring. I've attempted to watch it a number of times but started dozing off every time part way into it.  The book was better.
Nevertheless, the reasons for not showing it are ridiculous.  There are numerous movies that are "insensitive" to various groups, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be shown.
Does that mean that as of now any group can demand a movie not be shown if they find it "insensitive" to them?

Offline edpc

They'll probably replace it with Pulp Fiction.

:shrug:

Wingnut

I guess the Al Jolsen  retrospective is out too.

Offline Applewood

Forget about Blazing Saddles too. 

Offline Applewood

Personally, I found it to be pretty boring. I've attempted to watch it a number of times but started dozing off every time part way into it.  The book was better.
Nevertheless, the reasons for not showing it are ridiculous.  There are numerous movies that are "insensitive" to various groups, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be shown.
Does that mean that as of now any group can demand a movie not be shown if they find it "insensitive" to them?

I'm part Italian.  Guess I should make a fuss whenever The Godfather is shown. 

Offline endicom

The Maltese Falcon, with Humphrey Bogart as Sam Heart.

BTW, do you know what 'gunsel' means?

Offline endicom

I'm part Italian.  Guess I should make a fuss whenever The Godfather is shown.

You make a fuss you make your bed, capisce? ;-)

Online goatprairie

You make a fuss you make your bed, capisce? ;-)
I don't know about that...but I  always leave the gun and take the cannoli.  22222frying pan

Offline mountaineer

Forget about Blazing Saddles too.
Funniest movie ever.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online corbe

We've certainly come a long way from 'The Birth of a Nation' being shown in the White House, 102 years ago.

On the evening of March 21, 1915, President Woodrow Wilson attended a special screening at the White House of THE BIRTH OF A NATION, a film directed by D.W. Griffith and based on THE CLANSMAN, a novel written by Wilson's good friend Thomas Dixon.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Applewood

Funniest movie ever.

Couldn't make a movie like that today.   The little snowflakes and the perpetually offended wouldn't get the satire.  Mel Brooks was having fun with stereotypes and prejudices. 

Offline dfwgator

They'll probably replace it with Pulp Fiction.

:shrug:

With all the N-words bleeped out?

Offline Applewood

Am I the only one who thought Pulp Fiction was awful?  Forget the language and the violence. The film itself was so jumbled, it gave me a headache and I seldom get headaches. Maybe it was sorted out later in the movie, but I didn't make it through the first hour.  I turned it off. 

Online corbe

Pulp Fiction is a Quentin Tarantino film, watch Reservoir Dogs, another film of his, much better. I like the Coen Brothers better though.

Their First:

Blood Simple
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Blood Simple is a 1984 American neo-noir crime film written, edited, produced, and directed by Joel and Ethan Coen. It was the directorial debut of the Coens and the first major film of cinematographer Barry Sonnenfeld, who later became a noted director, as well as the feature film debut of Joel Coen's wife Frances McDormand, who subsequently starred in many of his features.

sorry for the threadjack

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Am I the only one who thought Pulp Fiction was awful?  Forget the language and the violence. The film itself was so jumbled, it gave me a headache and I seldom get headaches. Maybe it was sorted out later in the movie, but I didn't make it through the first hour.  I turned it off.
Oops. I thought it was a comedy.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Applewood

Thanks @corbe

Enjoyed Fargo and Raising Arizona.  Will have to check out Blood Simple.

Online goatprairie

vastly overrated.

Offline Applewood

vastly overrated.

Thank you.  Glad I'm not alone. 

Unfortunately, it' s cr@p like Pulp Fiction that wins all the awards.  The Oscars and other such awards are totally meaningless.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
The Maltese Falcon, with Humphrey Bogart as Sam Heart.

BTW, do you know what 'gunsel' means?
It has a couple well recognized meanings and then there is the one that Dashiell Hammett used.

Online corbe

Learn something new here everyday.

gun·sel.
gunsels (plural noun)
a criminal carrying a gun.

ORIGIN

early 20th cent. (denoting a homosexual youth): from Yiddish gendzel ‘little goose,’ influenced in sense by gun.

Offline edpc

With all the N-words bleeped out?

That and the editing of the pawn shop homosexual portion.