Author Topic: Hurricane Harvey Public Advisory  (Read 102241 times)

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: Tropical Storm Harvey Public Advisory
« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2017, 04:30:26 pm »
I live in an area of the map where red touches orange so it looks like I'm gonna get a lot of much needed rain over the next few days.

I hope everyone in the area weathers the storm without too much trouble.

Graphic is from an earlier run before the unexpected intensification and long term stalling.  I expect the next map to be much uglier.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 04:31:41 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Mom MD

« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2017, 04:31:14 pm »
Guess I'd better get ready for 4$/gallon gas.  All you Texas briefers stay safe!
The only good thing out of this would be if Trump acts to allow more refinery construction and to retool the aging ones we already have.  Spreading our refining capacity over a larger geographic area (with new construction) couldn't hurt either.
God is still in control

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2017, 04:34:04 pm »
Guess I'd better get ready for 4$/gallon gas.  All you Texas briefers stay safe!
The only good thing out of this would be if Trump acts to allow more refinery construction and to retool the aging ones we already have.  Spreading our refining capacity over a larger geographic area (with new construction) couldn't hurt either.

Absolutely right.  However, added to the government obstruction, there is a significant NIMBY attitude that hurts.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline thackney

« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2017, 04:44:23 pm »
Praying for you and all my Texas family. The are on lake Conroe.  I have seen pictures of the water up to their back porch but it has never gone higher. I hope it holds this time as well.  Harvey forcasted to be a cat 3 by landfall.

Damn...
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2017, 04:51:46 pm »
<***>

As the moderator of the Texas board, I am removing this comment as off-topic, inflammatory and stupid.

Heck I thought it was right on target, considering the grief that GW bush got, over the New Orleans disaster.

I have empathy for folks with natural disasters. I know my relatives in Blanco, Austin and Wichita Falls are okay, but worried about those who recently moved to Cypress TX (from 7400 ft. elev. Flagstaff).

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2017, 04:55:24 pm »
My weather app says they're evacuation some areas along the coast. 

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2017, 04:56:48 pm »
Here in Corpus Christi, they are predicting a 6-ft storm surge.

I know it's not news to you, but that's the most deadly aspect of these stinking storms. Please take every precaution!

We're under a storm surge warning too. Although we're right on the coast (Galveston County), our predicted storm surge is not as threatening as yours.

(@mystery-ak  I made it! Thanks for tweaking stuff.)

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2017, 04:57:10 pm »
My weather app says they're evacuation some areas along the coast.

Holy smokes!!!!   Hurricane Hunter plane has found 88kt (96 mph) winds in the NE quadrant.  Hold on to your hat.  I expect that next full advisory NHC will deem it a Cat 2.

12 noon intermeidate advisory has it as 80 mph Cat 1. 
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 05:05:54 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2017, 04:59:48 pm »
I know it's not news to you, but that's the most deadly aspect of these stinking storms. Please take every precaution!

We're under a storm surge warning too. Although we're right on the coast (Galveston County), our predicted storm surge is not as threatening as yours.

(@mystery-ak  I made it! Thanks for tweaking stuff.)

Just read an interesting fact that Corpus' worst surge was in 1919 @12 ft.  At present storm course, I'd say that record is in danger of being broken.  Still waiting for the updated QPF run to get to see how bad this rain will be.

Online Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #59 on: August 24, 2017, 05:01:25 pm »
Holy smokes!!!!   Hurricane Hunter plane has found 88kt (96 mph) winds in the NE quadrant.  Hold on to your hat.

Wow, this storm seems to be ramping up much quicker and stronger than they had predicted it would!
Let it burn.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #60 on: August 24, 2017, 05:02:48 pm »
Wow, this storm seems to be ramping up much quicker and stronger than they had predicted it would!

Yep, hate to throw "C" 's at everyone but this one is conjuring up visions of Carla and Celia.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #61 on: August 24, 2017, 05:04:44 pm »
San Antonio and other inland areas aren't safe because of the stalling. Y'all need to be monitoring too.

School closings are being announced here in the Houston-Galveston area.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 05:09:20 pm by AllThatJazzZ »

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #62 on: August 24, 2017, 05:09:03 pm »
Take Care Texans!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #63 on: August 24, 2017, 05:10:20 pm »
Yep, hate to throw "C" 's at everyone but this one is conjuring up visions of Carla and Celia.

Bite your tongue!  22222frying pan

Offline thackney

« Reply #64 on: August 24, 2017, 05:14:07 pm »
Holy smokes!!!!   Hurricane Hunter plane has found 88kt (96 mph) winds in the NE quadrant.  Hold on to your hat.  I expect that next full advisory NHC will deem it a Cat 2.

Predicted Cat 3

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #65 on: August 24, 2017, 05:17:26 pm »
The only good news is that the weather guys tend to hyper-hype events like this.  Let's hope that holds true.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #66 on: August 24, 2017, 05:22:48 pm »

Another "C" is Cell, as in supercell.  Hurricanes  carry with them individual supercells, which are rotating, well-organized thunderstorms. And these supercells can and do spawn tornadoes.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #67 on: August 24, 2017, 05:46:54 pm »
Interesting graphic showing the entire Texas coast (and about 50 mi inland) to have a >50% expectation of T.S force winds......

Wingnut

« Reply #68 on: August 24, 2017, 05:49:36 pm »
The only good news is that the weather guys tend to hyper-hype events like this.  Let's hope that holds true.

Agreed.   I really think the 24 hour news cycle has done more harm in hyping than good in protecting.   The Weather channel has become the biggest joke on cable TV.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #69 on: August 24, 2017, 05:52:52 pm »
Agreed.   I really think the 24 hour news cycle has done more harm in hyping than good in protecting.   The Weather channel has become the biggest joke on cable TV.

One of the funniest onsite storm coverage I have ever seen was during Rita.  Storm reporter was acting (pre-storm) like the wind was bending himself over Cantore style.  As he was performing his antics a citizen walked behind him walking his dog and started laughing.

p.s.   I called that station wanting to buy the clip, and they claimed the event didn't happen. 
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 06:00:22 pm by catfish1957 »

Wingnut

« Reply #70 on: August 24, 2017, 05:55:02 pm »
One of the funniest onsite storm coverage I have ever seen was during Rita.  Storm reporter was acting (pre-storm) like the wind was bending himself over Cantore style.  As he was performing his antics a citizen walked behind him walking his dog and started laughing.

Flexibility training came in handy for the job!   LOL

Offline Mom MD

« Reply #71 on: August 24, 2017, 05:56:27 pm »

Now saying could be cat 4 at landfall and may not weaken much within 24 hours after landfall as it won't move very much after landfall
God is still in control

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #72 on: August 24, 2017, 05:58:22 pm »
Flexibility training came in handy for the job!   LOL

Dont want to leave Ike out either.  Another classic from the WC vault.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=422rBuG2uDg

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #73 on: August 24, 2017, 06:00:19 pm »
Just for informational purposes you should be aware that storms hitting the Texas gulf coast almost always make a more northward turn before moving inland.  This is due to friction as the storm begins to interact with the land mass. 

You can look at the actual track of any storm you wish at the link below.

https://coast.noaa.gov/hurricanes/?redirect=301ocm
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #74 on: August 24, 2017, 06:02:24 pm »
Just for informational purposes you should be aware that storms hitting the Texas gulf coast almost always make a more northward turn before moving inland.  This is due to friction as the storm begins to interact with the land mass. 

You can look at the actual track of any storm you wish at the link below.

https://coast.noaa.gov/hurricanes/?redirect=301ocm

Gilbert may have been the exception. (just south of Brownsville)  Of course there weren't many storms like Gilbert.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 06:03:08 pm by catfish1957 »