Author Topic: The battle of Charlottesville: A continuing discussion thread about the War between the States  (Read 72123 times)

Offline goodwithagun

Your right to free speech is not conditional upon what you have to say.  Just as a state's right to secede is not conditional upon the correct reason.

Libel, slander?
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline goodwithagun

Good 'ol Alex Jones weighs in and never fails to push the limits of lunacy.....

The "Unite the Right" rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, on Saturday saw aggressive clashes between demonstrators and counter protesters, with an anti-fascist killed after a car ploughed into the group she was demonstrating with at speed. But Jones claimed “leftist Jews” has dressed up as white supremacists to create clashes and discredit the rally.

"I mean, quite frankly, I've been to these events, a lot of the KKK guys with their hats off look like they’re from the cast of Seinfeld,” Trump supporter Jones said on The Alex Jones Show on Sunday.

“Literally they’re just Jewish actors. Nothing against Jews in general, but they are leftists Jews that want to create this clash and they go dress up as Nazis,” he added.

Ahh, the Joos are at it again  *****rollingeyes***** Seriously, Alex could be less predictable.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Online Hoodat

Libel, slander?

Those would be civil actions - not criminal ones.  Civil actions based upon someone exercising their right to free speech.  I never said there weren't consequences.  Yet free speech was nevertheless exercised.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Ahh, the Joos are at it again  *****rollingeyes***** Seriously, Alex could be less predictable.

I like juice.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Ahh, the Joos are at it again  *****rollingeyes***** Seriously, Alex could be less predictable

Now that I think about it, he may have a point. 

"I mean, quite frankly, I've been to these events, a lot of the KKK guys with their hats off look like they’re from the cast of Seinfeld,”

Maybe Michael Richards was there?  He's got a history of racial utterances.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline dfwgator

"I mean, quite frankly, I've been to these events, a lot of the KKK guys with their hats off look like they’re from the cast of Seinfeld,”

"....And now for my next impression......Jesse Owens!"

Offline goodwithagun

Those would be civil actions - not criminal ones.  Civil actions based upon someone exercising their right to free speech.  I never said there weren't consequences.  Yet free speech was nevertheless exercised.

But you state that a state doesn't need a "correct reason" to secede.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline goodwithagun

[attachment deleted by admin]
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline goodwithagun

I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Those would be civil actions - not criminal ones.

There's no federal law against it, but 15 states have criminal defamation laws.

Florida, Idaho, Kansas, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Utah, Virginia, Wisconsin
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 04:23:26 am by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I've resisted responding to your anti-Confederate rhetoric, claiming my ancestors were treasonous, etc.

Guess what buddy....  6 of 7 of my direct civil war ancestors did not own slaves, but fought with valor for their homeland.

So answer this.   A foreign power invades your land.  (Which the north did first in VA), threatening your economic well being, and way of life.  You just lay down? 

You have been seriously brainwashed by the PC history revisionist.
THe first invasion wasn't even a State that had seceded, nor was it allowed to. There was bloodshed during that invasion, bridges were destroyed, rail lines disrupted to slow its progress, and the first dead of the war, shot by Northern Militias all happened in Maryland.

The opening verses of the State song, written by an expatriate in Louisiana:

The despot's heel is on thy shore, Maryland!
His torch is at thy temple door, Maryland!
Avenge the patriotic gore That flecked the streets of Baltimore,
And be the battle queen of yore, Maryland! My Maryland!

Hark to an exiled son's appeal, Maryland!
My mother State! to thee I kneel, Maryland!
For life and death, for woe and weal, Thy peerless chivalry reveal,
And gird they beauteous limbs with steel, Maryland! My Maryland!

source: http://www.lyricsondemand.com/miscellaneouslyrics/statesongslyrics/marylandstatesonglyrics.html

Maryland voted for Breckinridge in 1860, but a vote on secession was not allowed until the Legislature had been replaced during the war. Maryland remained an occupied State for the duration and beyond.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

No.  It's more important than the Constitution.

It's the ESTABLISHING document by which the governing document derives its existence.

Without the Establishing document - there is no governing document that would have been created for the sole purpose of limiting governance to very specific and menial things necessary for a civil society to exist with its liberty intact.

Our rights, nor the existence of liberty comes from any document from men.  It is established along with fundamental rights that a people possess to abolish the forms to which they are grown accustomed which evinces the design to render them under absolute despotism.  A reality we now live in that we lie to ourselves about because mankind are more disposed to suffer evil while evils are sufferable than right themselves.

So all kinds of excuses are made to justify existing under despotism, because such evil is sufferable, and any thoughts or efforts to abolish it are rendered distasteful by those unwilling to risk the thought of liberty.
Well said!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

I posted earlier that I believe states have the right to secede. Their rights to secede end when the basis is the deprivation of the rights of others, namely slaves.
A right's existence is not contingent on the motivation for the action.

Slavery was an issue (a threat of economic sanction), but economics were the reason for the secession.

C S Lewis

HonestJohn

I've resisted responding to your anti-Confederate rhetoric, claiming my ancestors were treasonous, etc.

Guess what buddy....  6 of 7 of my direct civil war ancestors did not own slaves, but fought with valor for their homeland.

So answer this.   A foreign power invades your land.  (Which the north did first in VA), threatening your economic well being, and way of life.  You just lay down? 

You have been seriously brainwashed by the PC history revisionist.

America is a foreign power in its own land?

Who's brainwashed again?

I pointed out the obvious, that one can argue hypothetical points of law until the cows come home.  But at the end of the day, history shows what really happened.  1,264,000 Americans died and there is no Confederacy.

For America will fight a major war to stop any rebellious state from trying to secede.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 05:24:52 am by HonestJohn »

Offline Smokin Joe

Who's brainwashed again?

I pointed out the obvious, that one can argue hypothetical points of law until the cows come home.  But at the end of the day, history shows what really happened.  1,264,000 Americans died and there is no Confederacy.

For America will fight a major war to stop any rebellious state from trying to secede.
IIRC, the matter at issue was exactly whether the States in Secession were Federal Land.
(I thought that was limited to the federal District and some military outposts).
Trial by combat often does not produce justice.
As for secession, we'll see, won't we? California may be the next test case.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 05:49:37 am by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
But at the end of the day, history shows what really happened.  1,264,000 Americans died and there is no Confederacy.

Had the Colonies lost to the Crown, King George III would be singing the same exact tune.

However, none of that diminishes the truth of what was outlined in the Declaration.  Tyranny is imposed by force.

Which is exactly all your line of reasoning is.

Just another variation of 'Bake the cake!"  No, you may NOT refuse to do as we say!

All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !

It's the ESTABLISHING document by which the governing document derives its existence.

Without the Establishing document - there is no governing document that would have been created for the sole purpose of limiting governance to very specific and menial things necessary for a civil society to exist with its liberty intact.

Our rights, nor the existence of liberty comes from any document from men.  It is established along with fundamental rights that a people possess to abolish the forms to which they are grown accustomed which evinces the design to render them under absolute despotism.  A reality we now live in that we lie to ourselves about because mankind are more disposed to suffer evil while evils are sufferable than right themselves.

So all kinds of excuses are made to justify existing under despotism, because such evil is sufferable, and any thoughts or efforts to abolish it are rendered distasteful by those unwilling to risk the thought of liberty.

Agree the Declaration is Independence is part of our law system.

@INVAR

Natural Law

http://www.visionandvalues.org/barker/
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher

Who's brainwashed again?

A foreign force tearing  through a seceded land is not an invasion? Do you understand what that sounds like?  I bet you were cheerleading as Sherman was raping and pillaging through Georgia and SC in that non-invasion.

Yeah, you never answered my question about whether my ancestors were treasonous for defending themselves.  Yep, you are past brainwashed.  You have terminally succumbed to the PC historical revisonist propaganda.  A full tilt dumbing down.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
The Federalist papers were used as a guide.  But it is ultimately the Constitution upon which those decisions were based.

Many things have been cited as dicta in court decisions but very few of those decisions were rendered on the basis of those things.  I think @IsailedawayfromFR  is right about @goodwithagun not being up to speed on this subject.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 11:21:07 am by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

The Declaration of Independence is EXACTLY what it says it is!  It is a DECLARATION proclaiming the many reasons why the Original 13 colonies were taking the action they chose to take against the King and his government.  Pretty much the same thing the 11 states who sought to leave the Union were doing!  But, as a legal matter, it is just a statement and nothing more.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

No, it doesn't work that way.  You don't get to be the arbiter of that right.  Either they have that right or they do not.

btw, slavery remained legal in Maryland, Delaware, Kentucky, and Missouri after those other eleven states left the Union.  So those eleven states did not secede so that they could legalize slavery.  It was already legal.
Freedom works that way.  One is nothing but a slave if one is chained down and forced to be subjugated against one's will.  The Declaration of Independence spells it out pretty succinctly.  It was not about the issue of slavery as that was preserved, it was about the issue of freedom.

That is what @goodwithagun failed to grasp when he began talking about 'enslavement'.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline goatprairie

@goatprairie
Grant's wife had owned a few slaves which Grant obtained one through no effort of his own.  He wrote a letter of manumission in 1859 freeing the man named Jones (look it up...it's on the internet) and certainly owned no slaves during the war.
Grant also made mention during the war of "knocking out slavery."
Certainly, a  number of Northerners, like Sherman, had no problem with slavery.
But the fact of the matter the institution was destroyed by the war never to recover.

Offline The_Reader_David

One of those clashes where you hope both sides lose.  What is concerning though is our history is systematically being erased from the south to placate BLM.  Unfortunately when the KKK and white nationalists are the ones standing up for these monuments, its hard for anyone else to see the cause as very sympathetic.

I'm afraid our attempt to educate our children with the true history of our country, both good and bad, is becoming much harder with the sanitization by some of the snowflakes and vilification by the others of prominent events and figures in our history.

Spot on.

I'd like to see a "plague on both there houses" movement by people who actually want to preserve Southern heritage that would take the position that monuments to Confederate figures who were irredentist after the Civil War be pulled down, while those who were models of reconciliation, at least late in life, be preserved with new plaques commemorating both their martial hardihood and their work of reconciliation.  That would leave Robert E. Lee's statues up, with plaques commemorating his kneeling beside a freed slave at the communion rail;  Nathan Bedford Forrest would be commemorated for repenting of founding the original KKK and ordering its disbanding and becoming a noted benefactor of the black community later in life; and P.G.T Beauregard commemorated for his work in the Reform Party in Louisiana, advocating for civil rights and voting rights for freed slaves.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
The Declaration of Independence is EXACTLY what it says it is!  It is a DECLARATION proclaiming the many reasons why the Original 13 colonies were taking the action they chose to take against the King and his government.  Pretty much the same thing the 11 states who sought to leave the Union were doing!  But, as a legal matter, it is just a statement and nothing more.

This is exactly right. The DOI is a pep talk, a rallying cry, a great document but I guess, it's not exactly binding. I've heard that discussed before.

Online Hoodat

Grant also made mention during the war of "knocking out slavery."
But the fact of the matter the institution was destroyed by the war never to recover.

During the War, Grant also was known to say, "Pass me another bottle of bourbon, Lieutenant!"

The institution of slavery was destroyed by abolitionists like John Fremont who threatened to leave the GOP if they didn't make it part of their 1864 platform.  Not wanting to lose Fremont's support, Lincoln reluctantly agreed.

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-