Author Topic: The battle of Charlottesville: A continuing discussion thread about the War between the States  (Read 71699 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
VA Police Spokesperson Echoes Trump's Statement: Yes, There Was Violence on 'All Sides'

Someone who wasn't condemned for making a similar statement was Virginia State Police spokeswoman Corinne Geller, who echoed Trump's comments, blaming the violence on “all sides”:

“We were hoping that it would not elevate to this level of the violence that we witnessed amongst the participants in the crowds, on all sides. They were throwing bottles, they were throwing soda cans with cement in them. [...]”

Geller also said participants “were launching chemicals into the crowd,” although she didn't place the blame on either side.

http://ijr.com/the-declaration/2017/08/946717-va-police-spokesperson-echoes-trumps-statement-yes-violence-sides/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Offline TomSea

From the very article from which you quoted:

The Inside Story of William F. Buckley, Jr.'s Crusade Against the John Birch Society
Anatomy of a Takedown: William F. Buckley, Jr. vs. George Wallace
John Birch society isn't the Ku Klux Klan, they are not near that.

William Buckley is not the final word on whom are racists and are not. Nevermind, that Buckley actually was for segregation at one point.

I only see that JBS article as being about the kooky views the JBS had, as in communism.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 06:53:23 pm by TomSea »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
:huh?:

Who wants to take away farmer's tractors? I wouldn't support that in any circumstance.
The slaves were the harvesting implements of their day. They were the 'tractors' of that time period, along with draft animals, and as essential to the 1850s cotton and tobacco farming export economy as tractors are today.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Apparently not, since a war was fought. Face the facts: there's nothing in the USC about seceding.
Yes there is.  It is the tenth Amendment.  Read it at your leisure.

Fighting one war and losing does not end things.  Otherwise Europe would still be Roman.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
The slaves were the harvesting implements of their day. They were the 'tractors' of that time period, along with draft animals, and as essential to the 1850s cotton and tobacco farming export economy as tractors are today.

We need to make it a Social Justice issue!

Tractors of the World, UNITE!  Power to the tractors!!
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline TomSea

Offline goatprairie

I want to read what Buckley did; respectfully, I'm not just going to take at face value all that is said in this forum.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/05/13/william-f-buckley-civil-rights-215129
The so-called "southern strategy" is balderdash.  The truth was the south had been gradually turning Republican for decades before Nixon's '72 campaign.  In the meanwhile, the Dems had been turning left with FDR's admin being the impetus.
The "deep South" states still remained in Dem hands  for a decade after Nixon left the office.  The outer, more civil-rights positive outer southern states had been voting for Republicans long before the Deep South states did.
Nixon just appealed to patriotism and painting the '72 Dems as having lurched off the left side of the political spectrum. Which they had.
Liberal Dems just couldn't stand the fact that their party had made a severe left turn and tried to blame racist Republicans for votes they were destined to lose because of their radical left stances.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 07:10:49 pm by goatprairie »

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
“We were hoping that it would not elevate to this level of the violence that we witnessed amongst the participants in the crowds, on all sides. They were throwing bottles, they were throwing soda cans with cement in them. [...]”

Geller also said participants “were launching chemicals into the crowd,” although she didn't place the blame on either side.

Well the citizens of Charlottesville and the Commonwealth were hoping everyone in the state would obey the law, but they paid taxes to hire a police force just in case.  This was something easily preventable had they bothered to do an ounce of research on the opposing groups.  Similar elements were at Seattle protests over the weekend.  Their riot control police kept a strong presence between the two and there haven't been serious incidents.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

I like to say, "Oh, the CW was about states' rights? States' rights to do what?" Of course, we all know the answer was the right to deprive human beings of their rights.
A goofy post.

I hope your realize that is exactly what liberals and Democrats do, don't you?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline edpc

Offline Smokin Joe

Where? NY? No, Ohio? No. Nice try.  A few border states? Kentucky, Missouri, Maryland, not really yankee states.

:thud:

Some of these states outlawed slavery long before the Civil War because they were aware of problems like slave rebellions and so on.

*****rollingeyes*****
1860? The Revolution began in 1776.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline goatprairie

I don't know about the 'southern strategy' for Nixon.  Wallace won 5 states in 1968.
The "southern strategy" was a lie foisted on the nation by liberals who couldn't stand the fact they were destined to lose conservative southern whites who were naturally turned off by radical leftism....which the Dem party was turning into.

Wingnut

Also, it would be awesome to get the evening news from this guy in Gladiator.....

Oy!

Oh and the Roman Bath houses!   Just to die for!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 07:19:01 pm by Wingnut »

Offline TomSea

I like to say, "Oh, the CW was about states' rights? States' rights to do what?" Of course, we all know the answer was the right to deprive human beings of their rights.

Agreed.

Offline Smokin Joe

We need to make it a Social Justice issue!

Tractors of the World, UNITE!  Power to the tractors!!
TLM, baby! John Deeres matter!

C S Lewis

I'm still waiting for someone to show me the word or phrase in the U.S. Constitution which would prevent a state from seceeding even today.
It cannot be done.

Those who wish to subjugate the sovereign states fall back on the mantra "there was a war fought about it and it was decided", not knowing they are idiots for proposing that a 'war to end all wars' was said about WWI, yet we still had WWII, and will have more and more and more wars.

WARS DO NOT END ANYTHING, they just settled a certain outcome at the time.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
The "southern strategy" was a lie foisted on the nation by liberals who couldn't stand the fact they were destined to lose conservative southern whites who were naturally turned off by radical leftism....which the Dem party was turning into.

BINGO!!!  888high58888
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline goatprairie

John Birch society isn't the Ku Klux Klan, they are not near that.

William Buckley is not the final word on whom are racists and are not. Nevermind, that Buckley actually was for segregation at one point.

I only see that JBS article as being about the kooky views the JBS had, as in communism.
"John Birch society isn't the Ku Klux Klan, they are not near that."

I used to know a guy at a place I worked who was so radical, he was kicked out of the JBS. He was a nice guy, but was definitely anti-Semitic and said nice things about Hitler.  I think the JBS was far more concerned about rooting out communists than any other issue. They  didn't want people who championed Nazism.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
It cannot be done.

Those who wish to subjugate the sovereign states fall back on the mantra "there was a war fought about it and it was decided", not knowing they are idiots for proposing that a 'war to end all wars' was said about WWI, yet we still had WWII, and will have more and more and more wars.

WARS DO NOT END ANYTHING, they just settled a certain outcome at the time.

Unfortunately, that particular war managed to alter the fundamental nature of our federal government and opened the door wide for every progressive to come along since.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline edpc

Interesting example, since the losing side of WWI didn't like the outcome, pursued a better one in WWII, and suffered an even more devastating loss.

Maybe if you had said 'horses' and '100 years ago' he might have grasped your meaning.

100 years ago, if you took someone's horse, you were strung up.

In your opinion. The USSC does not agree with you.
Point out exactly where that is, please.

Oh, and the USSC is not the Constitution.

Do you think it is?