Author Topic: The battle of Charlottesville: A continuing discussion thread about the War between the States  (Read 70718 times)

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Here is what Andrew Jackson said about succession.

But each State having expressly parted with so many powers as to constitute jointly with the other States a single nation, cannot from that period possess any right to secede, because such secession does not break a league, but destroys the unity of a nation, and any injury to that unity is not only a breach which would result from the contravention of a compact, but it is an offense against the whole Union.  To say that any State may at pleasure secede from the Union, is to say that the United States are not a nation because it would be a solecism to contend that any part of a nation might dissolve its connection with the other parts, to their injury or ruin, without committing any offense. Secession, like any other revolutionary act, may be morally justified by the extremity of oppression; but to call it a constitutional right, is confounding the meaning of terms, and can only be done through gross error, or to deceive those who are willing to assert a right, but would pause before they made a revolution, or incur the penalties consequent upon a failure
@kevindavis

I don't give a rabid rats ass what Andrew Jackson said about it. What matters is what was in the Articles of Confederacy that the original 13 states agreed to and signed in agreement with.

It was a VOLUNTARY union. Look up the definition of the word "voluntary" when you have the time.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Probably the best photo from yesterday. 

@AbaraXas

Is that camera in the center of his chest typical of what cops wear today?

I ask because it seems kind of big to me.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I especially liked the film clip where one of them was punching a girl.

@Hoodat

I saw that too. It was aired several times. If I were that guy, would have put her lights out. First of all,she looked to be bigger than him,and secondly,she threw the first punch. When you throw the first punch,you have nothing to bitch about when a few come back your way.

And truth to tell,it looked to me like almost all of the guys were punching like girls. Never seen such a pack of wusses all in one place in my entire life.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 01:10:33 am by sneakypete »

Wingnut

@

Why would AbaraXas know. He ain't a cop.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Why would AbaraXas know. He ain't a cop.

@Wingnut

I was just guessing he lives in a city like most people,and is more familiar with what equipment city cops carry than I am.

It's not important,anyway. Just something I was curious about.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
@AbaraXas

Yep. I'm sure most of the size is for batteries and memory.  I've seen smaller ones, but it seems those would have short battery life. 

The one in that pic seems to be common from other images I'm finding.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Wingnut

@Wingnut

I was just guessing he lives in a city like most people,and is more familiar with what equipment city cops carry than I am.

It's not important,anyway. Just something I was curious about.
Sorry.  Fitting Cops with Cams are all the rage now.  That's how they found out why Mohamed Noor shot Justine Damond

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
What matters is what was in the Articles of Confederacy that the original 13 states agreed to and signed in agreement with.

It was a VOLUNTARY union. Look up the definition of the word "voluntary" when you have the time.

Small problem.  They volunteered to enter the Articles of Confederation and Perpetual Union, key words being perpetual union.  Later, that was superseded by the US Constitution, which they ratified, and had an Article 1 Section 10 stating -

No State shall enter into any Treaty, Alliance, or Confederation; grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal; coin Money; emit Bills of Credit; make any Thing but gold and silver Coin a Tender in Payment of Debts; pass any Bill of Attainder, ex post facto Law, or Law impairing the Obligation of Contracts, or grant any Title of Nobility.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Sorry.  Fitting Cops with Cams are all the rage now.  That's how they found out why Mohamed Noor shot Justine Damond
I was out for a bit. What happened there?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer

oh wingy that person you named=another, killed me   :laugh:
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Smokin Joe

Small problem.  They volunteered to enter the Articles of Confederation and Perpetual Union, key words being perpetual union.  Later, that was superseded by the US Constitution, which they ratified, and had an Article 1 Section 10 stating -

No State shall enter into any Treaty, Alliance, or Confederation; grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal; coin Money; emit Bills of Credit; make any Thing but gold and silver Coin a Tender in Payment of Debts; pass any Bill of Attainder, ex post facto Law, or Law impairing the Obligation of Contracts, or grant any Title of Nobility.
I still fail to see where that precludes an exit--at which point the State would be free to do as its people please. They just would not be one of the United States any more.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

C S Lewis

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
@EC

That's probably true of people and governments all over the world. Human nature is human nature.

@sneakypete

Yep, my friend. People are people, and the one universal truth of people is anything they organise, no matter how noble or inspiring, eventually becomes evil.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
@sneakypete

Yep, my friend. People are people, and the one universal truth of people is anything they organise, no matter how noble or inspiring, eventually becomes evil.

I wouldn't go that far, but I certainly think Lord Acton's maxim still hold plenty of water.

Offline edpc

I still fail to see where that precludes an exit--at which point the State would be free to do as its people please. They just would not be one of the United States any more.

OK...that's the point of the forum...having discourse.  Just pointing out reasons why secession may have been null.  I was a navy brat - born in Florida, lived in Puerto Rico, and grew up in Maryland, living in Kansas.  My parents were raised in Virginia and Connecticut.  I'm basically the man from nowhere, with no dog in the fight.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
edpc wrote above (quoting the Declaration):
"Except the Confederacy didn't believe in this part....
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness."

The same guy who wrote those lines above, also wrote these lines below:
====================
"Nothing is more certainly written in the book of fate, than that these people are to be free; nor is it less certain that the two races, equally free, cannot live in the same government. Nature, habit, opinion have drawn indelible lines of distinction between them."
-- Thomas Jefferson

Offline edpc

edpc wrote above (quoting the Declaration):
"Except the Confederacy didn't believe in this part....
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness."

The same guy who wrote those lines above, also wrote these lines below:
====================
"Nothing is more certainly written in the book of fate, than that these people are to be free; nor is it less certain that the two races, equally free, cannot live in the same government. Nature, habit, opinion have drawn indelible lines of distinction between them."
-- Thomas Jefferson

Yes, but we endeavor to reach beyond the hypocrisy of some founders and realize the potential of the words, instead of succumbing to the cornerstone of the confederacy, as Alexander Stephens described it.

Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite idea; its foundations are laid, its corner- stone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery subordination to the superior race is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth. This truth has been slow in the process of its development, like all other truths in the various departments of science. It has been so even amongst us. Many who hear me, perhaps, can recollect well, that this truth was not generally admitted, even within their day. The errors of the past generation still clung to many as late as twenty years ago. Those at the North, who still cling to these errors, with a zeal above knowledge, we justly denominate fanatics. All fanaticism springs from an aberration of the mind from a defect in reasoning. It is a species of insanity. One of the most striking characteristics of insanity, in many instances, is forming correct conclusions from fancied or erroneous premises; so with the anti-slavery fanatics. Their conclusions are right if their premises were. They assume that the negro is equal, and hence conclude that he is entitled to equal privileges and rights with the white man. If their premises were correct, their conclusions would be logical and just but their premise being wrong, their whole argument fails. I recollect once of having heard a gentleman from one of the northern States, of great power and ability, announce in the House of Representatives, with imposing effect, that we of the South would be compelled, ultimately, to yield upon this subject of slavery, that it was as impossible to war successfully against a principle in politics, as it was in physics or mechanics. That the principle would ultimately prevail. That we, in maintaining slavery as it exists with us, were warring against a principle, a principle founded in nature, the principle of the equality of men. The reply I made to him was, that upon his own grounds, we should, ultimately, succeed, and that he and his associates, in this crusade against our institutions, would ultimately fail. The truth announced, that it was as impossible to war successfully against a principle in politics as it was in physics and mechanics, I admitted; but told him that it was he, and those acting with him, who were warring against a principle. They were attempting to make things equal which the Creator had made unequal.

• Technical
Seeing some of the comments on the videos is highly disturbing to me. Cheering on running someone over with a car? These are supposed "conservatives"?

Wingnut

Seeing some of the comments on the videos is highly disturbing to me. Cheering on running someone over with a car? These are supposed "conservatives"?

I felt sorry for the car.

• Technical
I felt sorry for the car.

Moron ruined his car, his life, and ended someone else's life. In a split second decision. Could have been hanging out with a girlfriend, or hanging at the beach.

We all have choices.

Offline dfwgator

Moron ruined his car, his life, and ended someone else's life. In a split second decision. Could have been hanging out with a girlfriend, or hanging at the beach.

We all have choices.

Could have been hanging out with a girlfriend

Or a boyfriend,   you know those Nazis and their tendency to be latent homosexuals.