Author Topic: The battle of Charlottesville: A continuing discussion thread about the War between the States  (Read 70723 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Or we could look back at the Trump campaign and see the slurs against HRC......

Slurs against Hillary Rodham Clinton???  What slurs?

Offline Suppressed

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Lots of mixed messages. Trump is a fairly strong Israel supporter, and so is Steve Bannon. Hard to figure out.

Trump and Bannon are strong supporters of anything advantageous to themselves. Both men seem to love surrounding themselves with alt right antisemites.

From what I'm seeing it looks like most "conservatives" are sympathizers.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

You cut the quote too soon.

No, not really.  The rest of the list has been disproven ages ago.  Claiming that candidate Trump slurred Clinton , well, this is new.  At least in the public forum.   

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
@edpc

Sure you can. Marriage doesn't turn you into a slave,even if it seems that way. You may still be LEGALLY married,but there is no law requiring you to live with your spouse,and I am betting a good lawyer that wasn't afraid of being murdered by divorce lawyers could make and win a case that it is un-constitutional for one marriage partner to refuse to allow the other marriage partner a divorce because that amounts to slavery.

You're conveniently leaving out the part where I said you couldn't do it without consequence.  Unless you have a prenup, 50% of your assets belong to the spouse.  If children are involved, you're responsible for support.  Since you'd still be legally married, you'd be punished for bigamy if you entered another.  In that era, there were consequences for adultery, as well.  The union wasn't set up like a marriage under sharia law where you could say 'I divorce thee' three times and be done with it.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Trump and Bannon are strong supporters of anything advantageous to themselves. Both men seem to love surrounding themselves with alt right antisemites.

I'm still trying to figure out if that is true or not.  What "alt-right antisemites"?

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
I'm still trying to figure out if that is true or not.  What "alt-right antisemites"?

If you haven't figured it out yet consider yourself among their sympathizers and put me on ignore.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

It's a strange world isn't it?  The group that is particularly anti-cop was allowed to attack the other group, who I assume is fairly anti-cop, but by default rather than plan.  Three opposing groups.
From this article today, it appears the lawful assembly was shut down prior to it formally was to begin, yet an unlawful assembly was allowed to proceed two hours after the streets were ordered to be cleared.

Smells very fishy here.
http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2017/08/is_virginia_governor_terry_mcauliffe_culpable_in_charlottesville_riot_.html
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
The same alt.left fascists were attacking the police at the previous rally. If the death had not happened, I bet they would have attacked the police again. Ironic that the police were protecting their attackers.
Countdown to Resignation

Interesting example.  When you're married and things go badly, one partner just can't say 'OK, we're divorced' and walk away without consequence.  Especially if it's contested by the other.
Of course one person does not need the consent of the other to divorce.  Of course it is not as easy if they both do not agree.

@sneakypete 's example of divorce is as good a synopsis of secession in this country as any.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

The idea a group of people can be subjugated because of their supposed natural inferiority is absurd and obscene.  Quit defending the indefensible.
Your moral horse is riding pretty high, isn't it?

You are taking what @sneakypete said (which happens to be factually true) and twisted it to somehow claim he is defending slavery.

You should be working for CNN or MSNBC.  You have your agenda, and just need to find ways to proclaim it.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 01:23:46 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »

Offline Hoodat

Yeah, right.  The Constitution is an agreement amongst equals and does not contain a secession clause.

@Oceander

As has been pointed out to you already, the Constitution also does not contain a right-to-vote clause.  According to your logic, anyone voting is in open rebellion against the Constitution.

If the Constitution was intended to legally bind States under it's rule for eternity, then it would have stated as such.  Similar language can be found in the Articles of Confederation, but was pointedly removed from our Constitution.  It was done so for a reason, so that States would not be bound for eternity, but would always retain their right to self-determination above and beyond the power of the remaining States.

The Declaration of Independence came before the Constitution, not after, so the Constitution trumps the Declaraton.

The Declaration of Independence is a treatise of intent.  It demonstrates that our Founding Fathers believed that each colony should not forcibly be bound by government rule, but should have the right to self-determination.  That right did not die when the Constitution was ratified, given the only constraint being that each state have a republican form of government.

Union was a one-way door

Your basis?  Simply repeating the claim does not make it true.

(See:  Logical fallacy - begging the question)

The only way out with honor is with the consent of the other states - a so-called Velvet Revolution

Again, your basis.

otherwise, it's just a violent rebellion.

Ah, violent.  Funny you should add that qualifier, because in the case of the Commonwealth of Virginia, the only violence that ensued was when it was invaded without provocation by a hostile army from the North.

There is no right, legal or moral, to unilaterally secede from the Union. 

Yet Virginia was allowed to secede from the Articles of Confederation.  Go figure.

Again, you have zero legal basis for your claim.   None.  Zip.  Nada.  And the fact that you falsely portray it as such removes any claims of morality upon it.  Moral right?  Seriously?  That's funny.

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Your moral horse is riding pretty high, isn't it?

If you read that speech and don't find it the least bit troubling, your moral horse should be in a glue bottle.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Hoodat

I have Bing. :)

Ditto.   Google is the devil.  Any time I hear someone say "Hey Google", I tell them to ask Google what Bing would say.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

If you read that speech and don't find it the least bit troubling, your moral horse should be in a glue bottle.
Thanks, CNN.

You made my point.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
@Oceander

As has been pointed out to you already, the Constitution also does not contain a right-to-vote clause.  According to your logic, anyone voting is in open rebellion against the Constitution.

If the Constitution was intended to legally bind States under it's rule for eternity, then it would have stated as such.  Similar language can be found in the Articles of Confederation, but was pointedly removed from our Constitution.  It was done so for a reason, so that States would not be bound for eternity, but would always retain their right to self-determination above and beyond the power of the remaining States.

The Declaration of Independence is a treatise of intent.  It demonstrates that our Founding Fathers believed that each colony should not forcibly be bound by government rule, but should have the right to self-determination.  That right did not die when the Constitution was ratified, given the only constraint being that each state have a republican form of government.

Your basis?  Simply repeating the claim does not make it true.

(See:  Logical fallacy - begging the question)

Again, your basis.

Ah, violent.  Funny you should add that qualifier, because in the case of the Commonwealth of Virginia, the only violence that ensued was when it was invaded without provocation by a hostile army from the North.

Yet Virginia was allowed to secede from the Articles of Confederation.  Go figure.

Again, you have zero legal basis for your claim.   None.  Zip.  Nada.  And the fact that you falsely portray it as such removes any claims of morality upon it.  Moral right?  Seriously?  That's funny.

Do states have a right to secede?

Do counties have a right to secede from states?

Do towns have a right to secede from counties?

Do neighborhoods have a right to secede from towns?

Do individuals have a right to secede from towns?

We can play this game all day if you want to.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Now, a mayor in KY. wants to remove statues in his town.

Some have floated that this could be a 'honeypot operation', I don't buy that but these jokers, the Klan and Neo-Nazi types, do more damage to the cause than liberals, anarchists could ever do, at least in the span of a few days in regards to these statues and heritage.

Again, following the Seattle story, that Joey Gibson organizer, doesn't allow these types to participate in events he puts on.  No Nazi flags, nothing like that from what I can tell.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
From this article today, it appears the lawful assembly was shut down prior to it formally was to begin, yet an unlawful assembly was allowed to proceed two hours after the streets were ordered to be cleared.

Smells very fishy here.
http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2017/08/is_virginia_governor_terry_mcauliffe_culpable_in_charlottesville_riot_.html

@IsailedawayfromFR

Not for Charlottesville and UVA it isn't. Might as well be "Berkley East".

The cops there do what their bosses tell them to do,just like the cops everywhere else,and the Mayor,city council,and the police chief are  all left-wing whackjobs.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@Cripplecreek

That's because you are a Dim in Republican clothing. You think anyone that doesn't have a Che tattoo is a Nazi. Like all the rest of your kind,you don't think,you "feel".

Calling someone an idiot that accuses a man with Jewish children and grandchildren an "anti-Semite" is almost bragging on them.

Offline Hoodat

Do states have a right to secede?

Yes.  (See:  Amendment X)

Do counties have a right to secede from states?

Not without the consent of that State's legislature as well as the consent of Congress.  (See:  Article 4, Sec 3)

Do towns have a right to secede from counties?

In some states, yes.  Virginia being one.  It depends on each state's law.

Do neighborhoods have a right to secede from towns?

In some states, yes.  It depends on each state's law.

Do individuals have a right to secede from towns?

Individuals are not land.  They are not part of towns.

We can play this game all day if you want to.

I'm not the one here playing the game.  I am asking for someone to cite the legal basis prohibiting a state from seceding.  So far, no one has stepped to the plate.  Instead, I get these silly ladder analogies like the one you gave that are not only full of holes, but is completely devoid of any legal foundation.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
You're conveniently leaving out the part where I said you couldn't do it without consequence.

You can't get up and go to the bathroom without possible consequences. You might miss a tornado warning or some other announcement you might have needed or wanted to hear. Virtually EVERY decision you make in life has consequences.

However,it's not likely any of them will involve being invaded by a foreign army. Which,after succession,describes the Union Army.

Unless you have a prenup, 50% of your assets belong to the spouse.

The Articles of Confederation amount to a prenup.

If children are involved, you're responsible for support.  Since you'd still be legally married, you'd be punished for bigamy if you entered another.  In that era, there were consequences for adultery, as well.  The union wasn't set up like a marriage under sharia law where you could say 'I divorce thee' three times and be done with it.

You are determined to stretch this thing out to impossible limits in your effort to "prove" you are right,aren't  you?

Nation States,which is what the original 13 Colonies were,and by extension is/was also true for any states joining the Union afterwards, don't have children and they don''t have to ask for permission that was already granted when they signed to document forming the union.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
If you haven't figured it out yet consider yourself among their sympathizers and put me on ignore.

@Cripplecreek

What,and not be able to laugh at you?

• Technical
Yes.  (See:  Amendment X)

Apparently not, since a war was fought. Face the facts: there's nothing in the USC about seceding.

• Technical
Individuals are not land.  They are not part of towns.

Really? So I can secede my property from my town and declare myself ruler of WeirdTolkienishFiguresville? Not pay any local taxes! Sweet!

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire

@Cripplecreek

I know you're from Michigan but cmon man.   Trump was successful in NYC.   He knows how to work the system there.   There are a lot of jewish people in a lot of influential positions there.  You cannot get a big project done there if you do not work well with jewish people.   Its ridiculous.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.