Author Topic: The battle of Charlottesville: A continuing discussion thread about the War between the States  (Read 70720 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
I think she was crushed between the cars when the car slammed into the one before backing up. You can see in a photo I posted way up thread, there is a lot of hair and blood on the car that was hit. I'm actually surprised more people weren't killed. He took a three block running start and had some momentum behind him.

Yes - what likely saved a lot of people from getting killed was the presence of the other cars.  People were off to the side, rather than being in the middle of the street.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Yes - what likely saved a lot of people from getting killed was the presence of the other cars.  People were off to the side, rather than being in the middle of the street.

I was reading some articles from the NPPA (National Press Photographer Association) about covering events like these and suggest #1 was never be in the middle of the street or in the front of the crowd, especially if things look like they will escalate.

Offline dfwgator

Which makes me question is the driver really had to motive of inflicting mass casualties, or if he was fleeing because he felt threatened. 

Well, that's what the trial should be for,  to answer those questions.

Wingnut

I was reading some articles from the NPPA (National Press Photographer Association) about covering events like these and suggest #1 was never be in the middle of the street or in the front of the crowd, especially if things look like they will escalate.

Ground view is always the most dangerous.  I alway prefered to shoot down.  Safer elevation.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Taylor Lorenz‏Verified account @TaylorLorenz 24h24 hours ago
Replying to @TaylorLorenz

Anyway several police officers at the station here think the guy running people down wasn't malicious. They said the driver was scared
677 replies 1,544 retweets 1,968 likes

https://twitter.com/taylorlorenz

Who is Taylor Lorenz? She is the reporter for the Hill that was punched in the face yesterday; apparently the suspect additionally has an outstanding warrant.

I see the police chief is saying it was a premeditated act, maybe or even probably. I'm sure he has some pressure on him as well.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 06:39:36 pm by TomSea »

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Which makes me question is the driver really had to motive of inflicting mass casualties, or if he was fleeing because he felt threatened. 

Well, that's what the trial should be for,  to answer those questions.

There are several videos upthread of this. He was not fleeing. He took a three block running start at the crowd. He had many areas to turn off or turn around safely before he got anywhere near them. From the videos, it was obviously intentional.

He has also been identified as a radical neo-nazi member of Vanguard America which is a pretty violent arm of The Nationalist Front, one of the worst WN groups. This is him on the left.

Offline dfwgator

There are several videos upthread of this. He was not fleeing. He took a three block running start at the crowd. He had many areas to turn off or turn around safely before he got anywhere near them. From the videos, it was obviously intentional.

He has also been identified as a radical neo-nazi member of Vanguard America which is a pretty violent arm of The Nationalist Front, one of the worst WN groups. This is him on the left.

Like I said, it will all come out in the trial.

Offline edpc

Unsurprisingly, Vanguard America has denied his affiliation with Fields.

"The driver of the vehicle that hit counterprotesters today was, in no way, a member of Vanguard America,” read the statement. “All our members had been safely evacuated by the time of the incident. The shields seen do not denote membership, nor does the white shirt. The shirts were freely handed out to anyone in attendance.”

« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 06:58:27 pm by edpc »

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline TomSea

People, maybe on the extremes, did blame Obama for police officers killed during his administration. I really remember Obama condemning this... not... maybe he said something somewhere.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Hey!
One of my banjos looks pretty much like that.
Don't give us banjo players a bad name!
That creep never learned to play!

Offline edpc

Hey!
One of my banjos looks pretty much like that.
Don't give us banjo players a bad name!
That creep never learned to play!

Nope - he just sang....

Offline aligncare

Unfortunately, that photo is photoshopped. Look at how the temple of the eye glasses immediately behind his right ear seems to be in front of his ear. There's no borderline. It's photoshopped.

Offline edpc

Unfortunately, that photo is photoshopped. Look at how the temple of the eye glasses immediately behind his right ear seems to be in front of his ear. There's no borderline. It's photoshopped.

No, it's not.  What you're pointing out is the tapering of the rim's upper corner.  Besides, the group released a statement saying they gave him a shield, but he wasn't really part of their organization.

Offline edpc

Actually, I thought the 'opt out' clause had been settled long before the events of 1860.
to wit: 

Except the Confederacy didn't believe in this part....

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

Offline Hoodat

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

Written by a man who owned slaves.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline aligncare

No, it's not.  What you're pointing out is the tapering of the rim's upper corner.  Besides, the group released a statement saying they gave him a shield, but he wasn't really part of their organization.

Don't know if you're being sarcastic or not, but that photo is clearly Photoshopped.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.

Really? Is that why the Yankees kept their slaves long after the Revolution, too? Nice try. :thud: :silly:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline mountaineer

Thank goodness all this debate over slavery will have some effect on history itself! Woo hoo.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Hoodat

Never let a good crisis go to waste.

Charlottesville Mayor Blames Trump for Violence: ‘Look at the Campaign He Ran’

‘I mean, this is not hard’

Aug 13, 2017

The Democratic mayor of Charlottesville, Va., Michael Signer, is pinning blame directly on President Trump for the white nationalist protest and related violence that occurred in his city this weekend.

The blame for these events, he said, falls "right at the doorstep of the White House and the people around the president."

On Sunday he appeared on CNN's State of the Union and accused Trump of intentionally courting white nationalists. Here's a transcript:

TAPPER: You said you place blame for these terrifying events -- quote -- "right at the doorstep of the White House and the people around the president" -- unquote.

That is a -- that is a very strong charge to level. Why do you think the president himself bears responsibility?

SIGNER: Well, look at the campaign he ran. I mean, look at the intentional courting, both on the one hand of all these white supremacists, white nationalists, a group like that, anti-Semitic groups, and then look on the other hand the repeated failure to step up, condemn, denounce, silence, you know, put to bed all those different efforts, just like we saw yesterday.

I mean, this is not hard. There's -- you know, there's two words that need to be said over and over again, domestic terrorism and white supremacy. That is exactly what we saw on display this weekend.

And we just aren't seeing leadership from the White House. We certainly are going to see leadership from cities like Charlottesville, from mayors, from leaders all around the country left and right.

Republicans and Democrats, if there is an issue that can unite this country, that this can be a turning point for this democracy, I think it just happened right now this weekend in Charlottesville.

You know, I -- to be honest, it doesn't matter much to me whether -- he's already on the sidelines, I think, of so many issues. But the country is going to move ahead. This will be a turning point for the country to overcome this stuff, just like we have overcome these challenges in our past. And I think it's happening right now, as we speak.

https://news.grabien.com/story-charlottesville-mayor-blames-trump-look-campaign-he-ran-and

Another Democrat scumbag with blood on his hands because he did nothing to quell the violence.  Nothing.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline dfwgator

Another Democrat scumbag with blood on his hands because he did nothing to quell the violence.  Nothing.

Scumbag, he is.

Wingnut

Never let a good crisis go to waste.

Charlottesville Mayor Blames Trump for Violence: ‘Look at the Campaign He Ran’

‘I mean, this is not hard’

Aug 13, 2017

The Democratic mayor of Charlottesville, Va., Michael Signer, is pinning blame directly on President Trump for the white nationalist protest and related violence that occurred in his city this weekend.

The blame for these events, he said, falls "right at the doorstep of the White House and the people around the president."

Classic case of deflection. 
In other words he is going to be out of a job soon.

Offline TomSea

Really? Is that why the Yankees kept their slaves long after the Revolution, too? Nice try. :thud: :silly:

Where? NY? No, Ohio? No. Nice try.  A few border states? Kentucky, Missouri, Maryland, not really yankee states.

:thud:

Some of these states outlawed slavery long before the Civil War because they were aware of problems like slave rebellions and so on.

*****rollingeyes*****
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 07:54:33 pm by TomSea »

Offline edpc

Don't know if you're being sarcastic or not, but that photo is clearly Photoshopped.

No, the one in the post below it is clearly photoshopped.   Vanguard already acknowledged his presence among them and denied he was a member.  You are entertaining moon battery.