Author Topic: Glen Campbell's Death: How Does Alzheimer's Kill?  (Read 852 times)

rangerrebew

Glen Campbell's Death: How Does Alzheimer's Kill?
« on: August 12, 2017, 11:35:34 am »
Glen Campbell's Death: How Does Alzheimer's Kill?
By Rachael Rettner, Senior Writer | August 8, 2017 07:18pm ET

Country music legend Glen Campbell has died at age 81 following a long battle with Alzheimer's disease, his family announced today.

Campbell was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease in 2011, at the age of 75, according to Rolling Stone. Later that year, he announced he was retiring because of his illness, and began a farewell tour that included 151 shows, Rolling Stone said.

https://www.livescience.com/60082-glen-campbell-alzheimers.html

Offline the_doc

Re: Glen Campbell's Death: How Does Alzheimer's Kill?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 11:16:13 pm »
@Mom MD
I believe most physicians would say that the immediate cause of death in ALZ patients is most commonly pneumonia. 

Offline Mom MD

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 02:04:59 am »
@Mom MD
I believe most physicians would say that the immediate cause of death in ALZ patients is most commonly pneumonia.
Pneumonia or urinary tract infection that the family chooses not to treat aggressively.  Otherwise, people with severe Alzheimers usually stop eating and drinking well at some point - their body just shuts down around them and they get weaker and weaker.  A minor infection or other event like a fall or even heart attack can be the final straw.  It is a terrible disease that robs people of themselves before they die.  I hate it.
God is still in control

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 02:07:55 am »
My father lost the ability to eat, essentially forgetting how to chew or swallow. 
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org