Author Topic: Trump Admin Takes First Step Toward Slapping Huge Tariff On Chinese Aluminum Foil  (Read 2089 times)

Offline goodwithagun

Trump has eschewed chess and is playing three dimensional go! with the Chinese.

At this point, it's three dimensional Hungry, Hungry Hippos.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline Suppressed

So if a country uses slave labor to keep costs down, should we just allow them to dump their products on our market?

Slave labor, meaning The State coming in and taking the fruits of a worker's labor>

Like... The State setting a tariff, meaning a consumer must -- against his will -- pay more of the fruits of his labor for the benefit of others.

People can voluntarily boycott that country's products.  But a tariff means you're talking about forcing the consumer to boycott* -- at gunpoint, as it's instituted in law.  Attempting to evade the tariff is smuggling, and you will feel the full force of The State against you.  Ergo, the tariff is a form of slave labor to meet The State's goals.

*if you're going to say that it's not a boycott because they can choose to buy it, then where's that hurting the slave labor?
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline dfwgator

I agree that there should be a cost/benefit analysis done with regards to tariffs, and usually they don't make economic sense.  But that doesn't mean they should never be used.

And also, there are national security issues to consider.

Imagine if we got most of our steel from Japan in the 1930s.    Where would we have been?

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
The American consumer.

It's the US Government stepping in and doing a wealth transfer from the American consumer to corporations that can't compete.

Put enough weight on my ankles and a 90lb grandmother in a walker could outrun me. This isn't a competition issue. I can't believe how good we actually do compete considering how much American businesses are hindered by the govt.

That said, enforcing trade agreements should be combined with tax and regulatory reform.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Put enough weight on my ankles and a 90lb grandmother in a walker could outrun me. This isn't a competition issue. I can't believe how good we actually do compete considering how much American businesses are hindered by the govt.

That said, enforcing trade agreements should be combined with tax and regulatory reform.

:amen:  :amen: and  :amen:  It's like they aren't on our side or something.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Drats. Foiled again.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
At this point, it's three dimensional Hungry, Hungry Hippos.
Nice imagery, but I loathe that game, it was designed to do only one thing, make irritating noise.

Offline Suppressed

Nice imagery, but I loathe that game, it was designed to do only one thing, make irritating noise.

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Slave labor, meaning The State coming in and taking the fruits of a worker's labor>

Like... The State setting a tariff, meaning a consumer must -- against his will -- pay more of the fruits of his labor for the benefit of others.

People can voluntarily boycott that country's products.  But a tariff means you're talking about forcing the consumer to boycott* -- at gunpoint, as it's instituted in law.  Attempting to evade the tariff is smuggling, and you will feel the full force of The State against you.  Ergo, the tariff is a form of slave labor to meet The State's goals.

*if you're going to say that it's not a boycott because they can choose to buy it, then where's that hurting the slave labor?

The British didn't have a problem with the colonists getting their tea elsewhere. The British had a problem with the colonists evading the tariffs they imposed.

A few years earlier Ben Franklin explained to the British that colonists once bought British goods with pride but now (1766) the colonists would rather wear rags than buy British goods.

Q. What used to be the pride of the Americans?
A. To indulge in the fashions and manufactures of Great Britain.

Q. What is now their pride?
A. To wear their old clothes over again, till they can make new ones.

http://www.learner.org/courses/amerhistory/interactives/sources/E2/e1/sources/5602.php

Offline Hoodat

Now I can expect the price of aluminum foil to go up?  The money the Chinese government was paying me to buy their aluminum foil (which I then spent on other stuff) will no longer be available (which means I can no longer buy the other stuff).

Thank you, anti-free-traders.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Cripplecreek

Now I can expect the price of aluminum foil to go up?  The money the Chinese government was paying me to buy their aluminum foil (which I then spent on other stuff) will no longer be available (which means I can no longer buy the other stuff).

With my fall home construction projects coming up I can't tell you how thrilled I am to be paying more to cover the tariffs on lumber.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

• Wulf Anson Author
Free Trade?

https://ustr.gov/about-us/policy-offices/press-office/fact-sheets/2016/november/us-fact-sheet-27th-us-china-joint

Trade is a voluntary agreement.

Fraud in the transaction (or needing Govt support) negates the concept of it being Free or an Exchange.

My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

• Wulf Anson Author
Article 1 Section 8 Clause 1

"The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes, Duties, Imposts, and Excises."

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/impost

[im-pohst]

Word Origin

See more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
noun
a tax; tribute; duty.
a customs duty.

So the price of a hostile foreign Govt supported roll of tin foil trumps the Constitution, and MY posts "turned this thread to s**t"?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 10:11:59 pm by To-Whose-Benefit? »

Offline Suppressed

+++++++++

Offline Suppressed

They don't care how it hurts Americans or the economy, as long as it lines the pockets of unions and big business owners.

They want to take us back to when America's economy was in fledge. I guess it got too strong for their tastes.

They feel the American Standard of Living is too good...gotta knock it down a peg or two, it seems.

"Oh, China is subsidizing!"

Yeah, they are paying part of the bill for us.  So what do we say? "Nope...that's saving us money. We want to pay more!"

:shrug:
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 11:48:36 am by Suppressed »
+++++++++

Offline Cripplecreek

They don't care how it hurts Americans or the economy, as long as it lines the pockets of unions and big business owners.

They want to take us back to when America's economy was in fledge. I guess it got to strong for their tastes.

They feel the American Standard of Living is too good...gotta knock it down a peg or two, it seems.

"Oh, China is subsidizing!"

Yeah, they are paying part of the bill for us.  So what do we say? "Nope...that's saving us money. We want to pay more!"

:shrug:

Fortunately I now have a service industry job in a medical facility. When the idiots manage to get themselves laid off, I'll still be working.

Offline Suppressed

Fortunately I now have a service industry job in a medical facility. When the idiots manage to get themselves laid off, I'll still be working.

But you'll still get stuck paying the higher prices the anti-free-traders want to force onto us!

Did my autocorrect actually make it say "got to strong"?! Dangit!
+++++++++

Offline Cripplecreek

But you'll still get stuck paying the higher prices the anti-free-traders want to force onto us!

Did my autocorrect actually make it say "got to strong"?! Dangit!

Oh yeah I'm well aware of that.

Still better than what they'll do to themselves however if recent behavior is any indication they'll just call for a living wage for all to be paid for by those who are still working.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Oh yeah I'm well aware of that.

Still better than what they'll do to themselves however if recent behavior is any indication they'll just call for a living wage for all to be paid for by those who are still working.

Man, I work. Don't know if it is a living wage.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley