Author Topic: Poll shows foul language curbs movie revenue. Studio execs agree, but filmmakers insist on preserving their 'art'  (Read 2235 times)

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
@Cyber Liberty

You misunderstood me about the stick. AFAIK,it works good,but IIRC,it doesn't offer the features of the "real" ones.

Still,all you have to do is go to www.roku.com and you can read about all the capabilities and features of each one,as well as see the retail prices from ROKU.

When you are done with that go to amazon and type "roku" into the search engine and buy one cheaper.

Do you know if Amazon Prime is available on the ROKU?  I already have that as part of my regular AP....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Do you know if Amazon Prime is available on the ROKU?  I already have that as part of my regular AP....

Yes, I watch it on mine.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
I have the premium Netflix subscription which is 4 screens. $12/month. I split that cost with my son who has my login info. My mom also has my login. So we have three households with Netflix. The two oldest g kids can watch Netflix (or any of the three channels-Netflix, Amazon, Youtube) on their tablets. But an adult has to log them in every single time. @Applewood

We rent movies from Redbox for the "new" movies. Don't have a dvd collection. I tried watching a crappy b sci-fi flick on Amazon last night. The foul language really detracted from the crappy movie. Netflix, Amazon, Youtube are my top 3 channels on the Roku. I pretty much watch Youtube. @Cyber Liberty

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@Cyber Liberty

Amazon.com is on there as an icon/app,but not Prime.

How this works is you click on the amazon icon,and then the icon/app takes you there and  you sign in. When you sign in Amazon recognizes you are a Amazon Prime member,just like if you had signed in to their web page.

And yes,you can view any video that amazon streams from that link. After viewing you just hit the "home" button to go back to Roku. If you want to go back to Amazon again to finish viewing a series or watch something else,you just click on the Amazon icon again,and there you are.

The difference is when you do it through ROKU,you can watch it on your big screen tv instead of your computer.

This was some really well  thought-out software that ROKU has going for them.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 11:04:09 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
I actually read the whole thread!

bigheadfred wrote:
"I don't watch new tv shows or movies anymore. Seems like the extreme violence and language is all it is..."

It's been 24 years since I went to a movie theatre and paid to watch a film.
I don't see myself as setting foot in one again in my lifetime.

I have little interest in most modern films for the same reasons Fred gave above.
They just don't make good films any more, at least not ones I find enjoyable (with some exceptions, read on).

There -are- some films from more recent times I've enjoyed, but they're probably not for everyone.
They're mostly put out by "Mollywood" (NOT the other "wood") -- the "LDS cinema".

One doesn't have to be a Saint (I'm not) to enjoy them. They stand quite well on their own. One might need a little bit of familiarity to the ways of the Saints (I've been studying them) to "get" everything in the films, but, even so -- they're still interesting.

Some that come to mind:
17 Miracles & Ephraim's Rescue (about the Willie & Martin handcart companies -- these two are standouts, and be sure to watch them all the way through the closing credits for a surprise.)
Brigham City
God's Army
The Best Two Years
The Cokeville Miracle
The Work And The Glory trilogy
(Pillar of Light, American Zion, A House Divided)

You might have to "go to the torrents" to find these. Not sure if they can be viewed through outfits like Netflix, etc.

Speaking of torrents, before I opened this thread, I decided to seek out a copy of Cornell Wilde's "Naked Prey" from 1965 or so. Downloadin' it now from that "bay of illegal sailors"... ;)

If it gets here in one piece and my computer ain't trashed, I'll watch it later.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 10:56:53 pm by Fishrrman »

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist

Mad Max

Yeah, I dumped Netfix, too.  They simply didn't carry the older stuff I liked.

Hulu carries a lot of great programming. I have both. I expect the "F" word to be used in films like "Scarface" and "Carlitos Way". In other words, it must be used in the context of the film.  This is why there is a rating system. Films with the "F" word used rather liberally are slapped with a "R" rating.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 07:57:58 am by Mad Max »