Author Topic: Trump is ‘odds-on favorite to win re-election’ says political analyst  (Read 1930 times)

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Trump is ‘odds-on favorite to win re-election’ says political analyst

By Jennifer Harper

President Trump could win the White House again in 2020 — which likely would send hostile political operatives and the disapproving news media into an epic meltdown. News flash: Get ready. Mr. Trump will likely win re-election, says one analyst.

“President Trump did not ascend to the White House in the usual way; he broke with traditional campaign orthodoxy and tactics,” Ford O’Connell, a political analyst and adjunct professor at the George Washington University Graduate School of Political Management, tells Inside the Beltway.

“While Trump’s first six months in the White House have been marked by early stumbles, a healthy dose of palace intrigue and low approval numbers, history says Trump is in fact the odds-on favorite to win re-election in 2020, should he choose to run. Why? Because presidential incumbency has its privileges. Since 1900, 20 presidents have sought re-election. Of those, 15 won and five lost — that is, if you include Gerald Ford, who was never elected in the first place.”

Adds Mr. O’Connell, “So how does President Trump avoid becoming the sixth president to be fired by the people in the last 120 years? Barring some unforeseen calamity or Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson becoming the Democratic presidential nominee, the fate of Trump’s presidency will live and die with the state of the economy in the fall of 2020.

“To ensure that the electoral winds are favorable to Trump, his administration must deliver results by passing tax reform before the 2018 midterms, showing significant progress on other key campaign promises: securing America’s borders, infrastructure, trade, conservative judicial appointees. He must also continue to instill in working-class voters in both the Rust Belt (Ohio, Pennsylvania, Iowa, Michigan, Wisconsin) and Sun Belt (Florida, North Carolina, Arizona) battleground states the belief that he is tirelessly fighting for them. If Trump does that, voters will forgive his impetuous ways and rehire him,” the professor concludes.

snip

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/jul/31/inside-the-beltway-trump-is-odds-on-favorite-to-wi/
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline truth_seeker

Win the same states, get the same results

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
I'm still convinced he doesn't run again.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Pretty premature.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline libertybele

The election of 2016 demonstrated just how wrong the polls and analysts were.  Trump has been President for 7 short months, making a prediction that he will win re-election is ridiculous; and it's a no brainer, he has a 50-50 chance of being right.  Big deal!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline dfwgator

If the economy is good, he'll win....if not, he'll lose.

Everything else is just noise.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Talk about FAKE and manufactured News.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline DB

What are the odds he'll even complete his first term?

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Talk about FAKE and manufactured News.

Yeah where are the Trump supporters to cry fake news?  Ridiculous story.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
The economy and tax reform by 2018 are necessary.

Offline Applewood

Analyses by so-called pundits are about as reliable as polls. 

Offline LMAO

The economy wasn't very good in 2012 and BHO won re election.

I do believe Trump may very well win re election. The Democrats will never give up their identity politics because they can't. They are a prisoner of their left wing base
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online cato potatoe

Trump is sitting at 39% in Rasmussen, which is confirmed by other surveys.  That would take another historically weak challenger, and probably a third party leftist to overcome.  Also, his numbers are closer to even with regard to the economy, but it has been more than eight years since the last recession ended.  The 90s expansion was the longest on record - exactly ten years.  We are due.

Offline dfwgator

Look who he ran against.

Oceander

:bigsilly:

:bigsilly:

Offline corbe

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline dfwgator

I will say this.

It will be tougher for Trump to get the Republican nomination, than it would be to beat the Democrat in the General, especially if the Democratic Party keeps insisting on going even further to the Left.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

I do believe Trump may very well win re election. The Democrats will never give up their identity politics because they can't. They are a prisoner of their left wing base

The economy was artifically good in 2012, with the Fed keeping interest rates too low, holding 4 trillion in bonds to prop up the stock market, and reporting modified U6 numbers for unemployment to make it appear far lower than reality.

So far none of these policies have changed, we are just ignoring it because of the R behind the name.

Oceander

I will say this.

It will be tougher for Trump to get the Republican nomination, than it would be to beat the Democrat in the General, especially if the Democratic Party keeps insisting on going even further to the Left.

Hopefully Trump will do the right thing and not run for a second term.  But then, he's never done the right thing most of his life, so I don't expect him to start now.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Well, duh. Incumbency does that.

Consider the past 100 years:

Wilson - re-elected
Harding - died in office
Coolidge - re-elected*
Hoover - voted out
Roosevelt - re-elected three times, died in office
Truman - re-elected*
Eisenhower - re-elected
Kennedy - died in office
LBJ - re-elected*
Nixon - re-elected
Ford - voted out (note that Ford was never elected President or VP)
Carter - voted out
Reagan - re-elected
Bush - voted out
Clinton - re-elected
Bush's son - re-elected
Obama - re-elected

In the 17 elections that an incumbent has been on the ballot, only four times has the incumbent lost. So on history alone, Trump's odds are roughly three-to-one in his favor.

Besides, the Democrats are scrambling right now and so-called conservatives are too cowardly to challenge a sitting Republican.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Three and a half years...anything can happen. just look at the last 6mos.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Three and a half years...anything can happen. just look at the last 6mos.
Heck, think of how much 9/11 changed the trajectory of George W. Bush's Presidency. He isn't remembered much for the things he did during those first eight months in office. We haven't reached that date on the calendar yet.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Heck, think of how much 9/11 changed the trajectory of George W. Bush's Presidency. He isn't remembered much for the things he did during those first eight months in office. We haven't reached that date on the calendar yet.

Yes - and here we are again with a president who defeated an opponent with ties to the previous two term administration in a controversial (though constitutional) way and is viewed by the MSM as inarticulate and inept.  How's that for deja vu?
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
I'm still convinced he doesn't run again.

I'm with you.

And then he'll return to openly being democrat and his fans will pretend they never supported him.

Offline truth_seeker

I will say this.

When they ran, when did the incumbent President fail to get the nomination?

Trump's supporters like what he has done. His detractors are mostly on the left, and wouldn't vote for ANY Republican.