Author Topic: Scientists design solar cell that captures nearly all energy of solar spectrum  (Read 742 times)

rangerrebew

Scientists design solar cell that captures nearly all energy of solar spectrum

Date:
    July 11, 2017
Source:
    George Washington University
Summary:
    Scientists have designed and constructed a prototype for a new solar cell that integrates multiple cells stacked into a single device capable of capturing nearly all of the energy in the solar spectrum.
Share:

FULL STORY

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/07/170711220514.htm

Offline Taxcontrol

• "Stupid should hurt" - Dad's wisdom
Nice concept and great that they are approaching 50% efficiency.  However, some pretty exotic materials were used for that cell.  I highly doubt that the specific design will be cost effective.  The concept might be worth exploring though.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
nearly all energy

The new design, which converts direct sunlight to electricity with 44.5 percent efficiency,

Are they counting  55.5 percent as converted to heat?

Offline SunkenCiv

• This is SunkenCiv.
  • I'm Junger than that now.
    • Gods, Graves, Glyphs (we're new)
Some years back, a high school kid won an award by using a cheap, old-school fresnel lens to enhance the output of an off-the-shelf photovoltaic cell.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Gods, Graves, Glyphs forum (we're new) Darwin Central (posting as Ned Ludlam) my FR posts, SunkenCiv?, FR topic by nuconvert