Author Topic: 5 Signs That Show When Drinking Has Gotten Out of Control  (Read 1337 times)

rangerrebew

5 Signs That Show When Drinking Has Gotten Out of Control
by NANCY IRWIN, PSYD Last Updated: May 12, 2017

Slide 1 of 9

5 Signs That Show When Drinking Has Gotten Out of Control

It’s likely that you may know someone with an alcohol problem. According to the 2015 National Survey on Drug Use and Health, 15.1 million adults in the United States have alcohol use disorder, which is diagnosed when someone’s drinking leads to “distress or harm.” It includes both alcohol abuse and alcohol dependence. But how can you tell if someone you love is in need of help? And what if that someone is you? The following scenarios illustrate the all-too-common symptoms. If you see yourself or someone you know in these vignettes, consult with a medical and/or mental health professional to manage the condition and recover.

http://www.livestrong.com/slideshow/1013053-5-signs-show-drinking-gotten-out-control/
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 11:29:57 am by rangerrebew »

Offline Applewood

Re: 5 Signs That Show When Drinking Has Gotten Out of Control
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 07:28:56 pm »
First time I knew my former boyfriend had a drinking problem was when he showed up drunk at my parents' house for a date with me (My mother, who was more in love with him than I was, claimed not to notice he was wreaking of booze).  Really felt wonderful knowing he had to get drunk first just to take me out.  I wanted to send him home, but Mom said, don't make a scene.  So I went out with him.  We were driving along, and suddenly, he steered the car deliberately toward the curb and drove on to the sidewalk.  He thought it was funny, but I got out of the car, headed toward a bus stop to catch a bus home, and left him there.  That was the end of that relationship. 

My mother cried over our breakup more than I did.  She kept telling me what a good catch he was.  Eventually, he married someone else.  Years later he was killed in a car crash.  DUI.  Left a widow and 2 young sons with a pile of debt and no life insurance or savings. 

Dodged a bullet there.   

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 07:54:29 pm »
Sign #1:

Appearing in court naked from the waste down.

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 05:58:34 pm »

Offline rodamala

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 06:56:10 pm »
First time I knew my former boyfriend had a drinking problem was when he showed up drunk at my parents' house for a date with me (My mother, who was more in love with him than I was, claimed not to notice he was wreaking of booze).  Really felt wonderful knowing he had to get drunk first just to take me out.  I wanted to send him home, but Mom said, don't make a scene.  So I went out with him.  We were driving along, and suddenly, he steered the car deliberately toward the curb and drove on to the sidewalk.  He thought it was funny, but I got out of the car, headed toward a bus stop to catch a bus home, and left him there.  That was the end of that relationship. 

My mother cried over our breakup more than I did.  She kept telling me what a good catch he was.  Eventually, he married someone else.  Years later he was killed in a car crash.  DUI.  Left a widow and 2 young sons with a pile of debt and no life insurance or savings. 

Dodged a bullet there.

@Applewood

Life is timing and choices.  You had a grasp of both of those... much earlier than most women.

Offline rodamala

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2017, 06:57:24 pm »
Sign #1:

Appearing in court naked from the waste down.

Oh come on!  Cut @Frank Cannon a break.  That was a one time deal.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2017, 08:00:36 pm »
@Applewood

Life is timing and choices.  You had a grasp of both of those... much earlier than most women.

Thanks @rodamala   

I was about 20 at the time.  My mother, who grew up with an alcoholic father, couldn't see a problem.  She was dazzled by his good looks, charm, his college education (in her day almost no one went to college) and his successful career.  After he died, I heard his successful career had tanked and at the time of his death, he was working for a pest control company.   Sometimes you have to listen to your gut instead of others.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2017, 08:14:38 pm »
1. If you drink so much, you forget to hide it.
2. The more you drink, the more you want to drive.
3. If you concoct ways to get drunk faster.
4. If you would rather drink than work.
5. If lunch interrupts your drinking
Countdown to Resignation

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2017, 08:29:25 pm »

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2017, 09:00:20 pm »
Related....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gBIwBE9-vo

WE'RE GOING TO FLORIDA!!

One of my favorite comedy bits.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2017, 11:00:50 pm »
Oh come on!  Cut @Frank Cannon a break.  That was a one time deal.

What else are you supposed to wear when you get picked up for Public Drunkenness and Nudity at a convent?