Author Topic: Republicans’ Obamacare repeal bill would bar some immigrants from buying insurance on the exchanges  (Read 927 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Republicans’ Obamacare repeal bill would bar some immigrants from buying insurance on the exchanges
Washington Post, Jul 12, 2017, Kim Soffen

Hundreds of thousands of immigrants could be locked out of the health insurance marketplaces if the Senate’s new health-care bill becomes law.

Buried among the bill’s provisions that roll back the Medicaid expansion and lower marketplace subsidies is a shift in eligibility requirements. Rather than all legal immigrants being able to receive tax credits and buy coverage in the marketplace like under the Affordable Care Act, the new bill — aside from a few, narrow exceptions — allows only permanent residents and people who immigrated for humanitarian reasons to participate.

More: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/07/12/repealing-obamacare-would-make-it-harder-for-the-poor-to-get-insured-for-immigrants-its-worse/?utm_term=.bbc2a3c819a2

Online Hoodat

Nice.  So the Republican bill will allow some immigrants to opt out of Obamacare, while hard-working tax-paying citizens such as myself will get no relief.

Screw that.  And this has been offered by the poster as something good?  Bah!
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Nice.  So the Republican bill will allow some immigrants to opt out of Obamacare, while hard-working tax-paying citizens such as myself will get no relief.

Screw that.  And this has been offered by the poster as something good?  Bah!

This has been offered by the poster as newsworthy.  The judgment as to pro or con is left to the reader.

I'm not sure "opt out" is what is being proposed.  If I read it correctly, rather than "opt-out", more groups of non-citizens would be ineligible to participate or receive tax credits.

@Hoodat

Online Hoodat

Are you seriously suggesting that they will incur a tax penalty for not purchasing what they are banned from purchasing?  Seriously?

Again, screw that.  Either way you want to spin it, it sucks.

Here's a novel idea.  Instead of keeping the structure of Obamacare in place (which is exactly what these Republican scumbags are doing), why not give people the freedom to purchase (or not purchase) whatever type of insurance coverage they want?  Why does that idea scare the crap out of Republican cheerleaders such as yourself?

Freedom.  It is what this country was founded on.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
How can you call a bill "Obamacare Repeal" if the exchanges, one of the central parts of Obamacare, are still there?
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
I assume legal residents could purchase individual coverage before obamacare? As long as they don't get taxpayer subsidies I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed to continue buying coverage. Citizens should not be required to buy insurance, but as long as they are, non-citizens should be subject to the same rules. And of course no non-citizen should receive Medicaid or any other free or subsidized benefit...
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
How can you call a bill "Obamacare Repeal" if the exchanges, one of the central parts of Obamacare, are still there?

The exchanges don't bother me as long as a) the subsidies end, b) the mandate ends, and c) no mandated coverage requirements such as "free" birth control in policies offered on the exchanges.

When obamacare was debated, so-called "junk" plans were the subject of blatant lies. Even if you never met the deductibles, you would only owe the amounts negotiated between insurer and providers, not the 3x or more amounts providers bill the uninsured for. That alone can easily save far more than the cost of the "junk" policy...
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA

Offline bolobaby

The problem with the whole concept is summed up thusly:

"...buying insurance on the exchanges..."

And they have the nerve to call it a "repeal."
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
The problem with the whole concept is summed up thusly:

"...buying insurance on the exchanges..."

And they have the nerve to call it a "repeal."

Certainly is not repeal.  But if they are going to shove this bill down our throats at least they can exclude illegal immigrants.  That I cannot argue with. 

AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Applewood

It's not a repeal and never will be.  Every time I hear one of the TV news readers call any of these bills a "repeal" I want to punch out the TV set.