Author Topic: These Coloradans say Earth is flat. And gravity’s a hoax. Now, they’re being persecuted.  (Read 4030 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
....He is at the epicenter of a budding movement, one that’s coming for your books, movies, God and mind. They’re thousands strong — perhaps one in every 500 — and have proponents at the highest levels of science, sports, journalism and arts.

They call themselves Flat Earthers. Because they believe Earth — the blue, majestic, spinning orb of life — is as flat as a table.

And they want you to know. .....

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/07/07/colorado-earth-flat-gravity-hoax/

Wingnut

What would these weak minded mush for brains individuals do without the interwebs to find other weak minded mush for brains like minded freaks?

Walk around with sandwich boards?

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
They should prove the hoax be skydiving without parachutes.

Offline Cripplecreek

We've got a least 1 flat earther here at TBR but I don't remember which one of you nuts it is.

Wingnut

Offline Cripplecreek

“How are we Flat Earthers supposed to explain to our friends the solar eclipse in August?” asked one attendee. The room fell silent. “We’ll have to do more research and get back to you on that.”

*SNORT* :silly:

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Gravity is more than just an idea. It's the Law!
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline SunkenCiv

• This is SunkenCiv.
  • I'm Junger than that now.
    • Gods, Graves, Glyphs (we're new)
Some are merely gullible -- see one video, view another and another, look!  Proof!  Yet there is none.

Some are grifters.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Gods, Graves, Glyphs forum (we're new) Darwin Central (posting as Ned Ludlam) my FR posts, SunkenCiv?, FR topic by nuconvert

Offline Cripplecreek

Some are merely gullible -- see one video, view another and another, look!  Proof!  Yet there is none.

Some are grifters.

They always have a desperate need to feel special enough to be privy some great secret.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
I know several sets of congregations and brethren in the Messianic community that are totally given over to this doctrine.

To challenge them using science or mere logical observations/explanations is to be accused of calling God and the bible a liar.

Oh well.  A lot of Christians have a desperate need to have some kind of "new truth" that garners a following of acolytes who make their issue....salvational.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline ABX

What would these weak minded mush for brains individuals do without the interwebs to find other weak minded mush for brains like minded freaks?

Walk around with sandwich boards?

They've always been around, just not as widespread. They have been found on ham radios and using offset printers in their garages as long as those technologies have been available. Sometimes even in front of chalkboards in college campuses and behind the desks in libraries.

Flat earth nutjobs an be found all around the globe.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 04:49:04 pm by AbaraXas »

Offline ABX

We've got a least 1 flat earther here at TBR but I don't remember which one of you nuts it is.

I can take a wild guess.  :smokin:

Offline ABX

They always have a desperate need to feel special enough to be privy some great secret.

Bingo.

The desire to have 'secret knowledge' and feel above others as a mask for other mental issues often.

Reads Foucault's Pendulum.

Offline the_doc

“How are we Flat Earthers supposed to explain to our friends the solar eclipse in August?” asked one attendee. The room fell silent. “We’ll have to do more research and get back to you on that.”

*SNORT* :silly:

They also cannot account for the direction of all the prevailing winds or for the fact that stars visible in the Northern Hemisphere start to drop and eventually disappear as a traveler heads south or for the fact that the curvature of the earth is apparent when mountains drop out of sight behind the horizon as the observer moves away from them. 

The earth curvature effect has been "explained" by the Flat Earthers' modification of their model to say "Okay, the Earth is a basically flat disk with a gentle curvature."  But this by no means fixes their problem, because it is easy to use the visibility-versus-distance to calculate the radius of curvature of the Earth, and it is not a gentle curvature;  the curvature does not have a huge radius, but obviously has the radius of our spherical Earth. 

Never mind the solar eclipse problem;  the Flat Earthers can't even explain the phases of the moon.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 05:10:06 pm by the_doc »

Offline Cripplecreek

Bingo.

The desire to have 'secret knowledge' and feel above others as a mask for other mental issues often.

Reads Foucault's Pendulum.

Its the same mindset as those who are sure the government is out to get them for their knowledge of the great secret. In reality the government couldn't care less about most of us and we should be grateful for that fact.

OTOH there are those idiots like Alex Jones who I doubt believes half of the crap he spews. He just does it to con the rubes out of their money. He's also made claims about government being out to get him. If anything, Govt loves clowns like Jones because he leads idiots off on wild goose chases while govt does wrongful crap right out in the open.

Offline Cripplecreek

They also cannot account for the direction of all the prevailing winds or for the fact that stars visible in the Northern Hemisphere start to drop and eventually disappear as a traveler heads south or for the fact that the curvature of the earth is apparent when mountains drop out of sight behind the horizon as the observer moves away from them. 

The earth curvature effect has been "explained" by the Flat Earthers' modification of their model to say "Okay, the Earth is a basically flat disk with a gentle curvature."  But this by no means fixes their problem, because it is easy to use the visibility--versus--distance to calculate the radius of curvature of the Earth, and it is not a gentle curvature;  the curvature does not have a huge radius, but obviously has the radius of our spherical Earth. 

Never mind the solar eclipse problem;  the Flat Earthers can't even explain the phases of the moon.

One of the things that has always bothered me is the fact that I've never seen Alpha Centauri.

Offline roamer_1

The earth curvature effect has been "explained" by the Flat Earthers' modification of their model to say "Okay, the Earth is a basically flat disk with a gentle curvature."  But this by no means fixes their problem, because it is easy to use the visibility--versus--distance to calculate the radius of curvature of the Earth, and it is not a gentle curvature;  the curvature does not have a huge radius, but obviously has the radius of our spherical Earth. 

I am not a proponent of flat earth, but I will bite on this one.

I have used a spotting scope to watch ships on lake Michigan long after they went 'over the horizon'.
And I have stood on the shore of Flathead Lake and on a clear day, seen the beach at Polson, some 50/60 miles away, with my own eyes.

Neither one should be mathematically possible.

I have also stood upon the very summit of the continental divide, and could detect no curvature looking eastward. One should see a 'falling away' north and south, which is not apparent.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 05:19:50 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline thackney

I have used a spotting scope to watch ships on lake Michigan long after they went 'over the horizon'.
And I have stood on the shore of Flathead Lake and on a clear day, seen the beach at Polson, some 50/60 miles away, with my own eyes.

I have also stood upon the very summit of the continental divide, and could detect no curvature looking eastward. One should see a 'falling away' north and south, which is not apparent.

Flathead Lake is 27.3 miles in the longest direction.

http://flbs.umt.edu/lake/flatheadlake.aspx#Stats
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline ABX

What you describe is well known, called Fata Morgana, due to a refraction of light (very similar to the mirage effect). When there’s a of warmer air over a layer of cooler air, light is bent by refraction allowing you to see things that would not be visible otherwise. Sometimes the image is inverted as well.  When you look at it with a scope, getting a closer, clearer view, you are seeing the refracted light. Not only could you see the full ship, you may actually see it 'floating'.

Here is a shoreline example appearing higher than it should due to the refraction of light.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 05:38:37 pm by AbaraXas »

Offline roamer_1

Flathead Lake is 27.3 miles in the longest direction.

http://flbs.umt.edu/lake/flatheadlake.aspx#Stats

I'll use your numbers. It's still mathematically impossible.

Offline the_doc

One of the things that has always bothered me is the fact that I've never seen Alpha Centauri.

One of the more obscure proofs that the Earth is a rotating sphere is the Coriolis effect on long-distance shooting:  I have heard that if we precisely sight in a rifle from west to east at long distance--say, 1000 yards--then shoot east-to-west at 1000 yards, the bullet will hit noticeably low and to the left.

Offline Cripplecreek

What you describe is well known, called Fata Morgana, due to a refraction of light (very similar to the mirage effect). When there’s a of warmer air over a layer of cooler air, light is bent by refraction allowing you to see things that would not be visible otherwise. Sometimes the image is inverted as well.  When you look at it with a scope, getting a closer, clearer view, you are seeing the refracted light. Not only could you see the full ship, you may actually see it 'floating'.

When the weather is right Chicago can be seen from the eastern shore of Lake Michigan.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 05:43:46 pm by Cripplecreek »

Offline roamer_1

meh.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 05:43:19 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline roamer_1

When the weather is right Chicago can be seen from the eastern shore of Lake Michigan.

I know... and Michigan can be seen from Chicago...

Offline ABX

You can actually reproduce this effect yourself if you have a clear, glass lens or even a glass paperweight and something like a big Yoga ball. Tape a penny or something like that on the Yoga ball, then roll the ball away until the penny is just below your line of sight and put the glass paperweight on the top of the ball and look through it. You'll see the penny because the light is bending through the glass.

I saw this demonstration a long time ago, it was pretty cool.

It actually shows, due to the refraction, that there has to be a curve, like a lens, it can't be perfectly flat to appear like this.