Author Topic: Dem Fla. Senator Helps Pass Bill to Give Her Charity $1.5 Mil, GOP Gov. Approves it  (Read 879 times)

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...

Judicial Watch
JULY 05, 2017

Democrat Florida state lawmaker helped pass a bill that allocated $1.5 million to a nonprofit that she founded and pays her a six-figure salary and the state’s Republican governor approved it. The legislator, state Senator Lauren Book, represents south Florida’s Broward county and in 2007 she founded a charity called Lauren’s Kids to educate adults and children about sexual abuse prevention through school curricula, awareness campaigns and speaking engagements.

Book launched the south Florida-based group because her female nanny sexually abused her for years and she wants to prevent sexual abuse through education and awareness. The politician also wants to help survivors heal with guidance and support. “Armed with the knowledge that 95 percent of sexual abuse is preventable through education and awareness, Lauren has worked to turn her horrific personal experience into a vehicle to prevent childhood sexual abuse and help other survivors heal,” according to the charity’s website. Lauren’s Kids has helped advocate for the passage of nearly two dozen laws to support survivors and protect children from predators, the group’s website further claims.

It’s not just a labor of love for the Florida legislator, who got elected in 2016. As chief executive officer of her charity Book receives a generous $135,000 annual salary, according to a nonprofit investigative journalism conglomerate that broke the story about this outrageous conflict of interest. Since 2012 Lauren’s Kids has received north of $10 million in taxpayer money because the senator’s father, Ron Book, is a prominent lobbyist who happens to be the group’s chairman. In just a few years Lauren’s Kids has “become one of the Florida Legislature’s most favored private charities,” the news article states. Governor Rick Scott, who is in his second term, went along with the $1.5 million appropriation for Book’s charity when he signed Florida’s $83 billion budget recently.

(more)
http://www.judicialwatch.org/blog/2017/07/dem-fla-senator-helps-pass-bill-give-charity-1-5-mil-gop-gov-approves/
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Mom MD

Gee maybe they would like to donate to my favorite charity.... me.
God is still in control

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Gee maybe they would like to donate to my favorite charity.... me.

That's exactly what she did. She must have read Hillary's book. She took government money and gave it to a so called 'charity' which pays her six figures. And you can be sure that everyone involved in this, all the staff, all the lawyers, all the officials, is getting a cut somehow, including the Governor who approved it.

That is exactly why politicians should be barred from setting up charities or 'foundations'. They always turn into money laundering schemes.

Does anyone wonder how a politician can enter office worth $40,000, and leave office a few years later worth millions? It is crap exactly like this that makes that happen.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online mountaineer

Wow.  **nononono*  Did she run on a platform of utter corruption?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline SunkenCiv

• This is SunkenCiv.
  • I'm Junger than that now.
    • Gods, Graves, Glyphs (we're new)
a nonprofit that she founded and pays her a six-figure salary
sounds like the other relatively new fake charities that exist to pay large salaries to the founders, who are just grifters.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Gods, Graves, Glyphs forum (we're new) Darwin Central (posting as Ned Ludlam) my FR posts, SunkenCiv?, FR topic by nuconvert