Author Topic: After Centuries Of Draining This Swamp, The Government Now Wants To Save It  (Read 788 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
"Drain the swamp" may be a popular political slogan, but it doesn't always work so well in nature.

In southeastern Virginia and northeastern North Carolina, the Great Dismal Swamp National Wildlife Refuge has been dramatically altered over the past few centuries by human development, creating an environment more vulnerable to both floods and wildfires. Now, a federal project is trying to restore some of the swamp's natural habitat and other characteristics through a $3 million effort that aims to reverse some of that damage.....

http://www.npr.org/2017/07/03/534150922/after-centuries-of-draining-this-swamp-the-government-now-wants-to-save-it

« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 03:50:44 am by AbaraXas »

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
I do love swamps of every kind.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Fifty years ago the government was channelizing streams and generally ruining swamp, marsh, and estuaries. I doubt they will get this right...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis