Author Topic: Drs. Roizen and Oz: Obese should exercise for better bone health  (Read 244 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Drs. Roizen and Oz: Obese should exercise for better bone health
By Drs. Michael Roizen and Mehmet Oz for The News-Sentinel
Wednesday, June 28, 2017 08:15 am

Q: I've been exercising regularly for years, and my friend, who I used to run with, wants to get back into it. But I think her excess weight is keeping her on the sidelines. What can I tell her to get her back out there? — Kerry Q., Austin, Texas

A: A new study has uncovered information that should inspire her. It seems that people who are obese and get back to, or start, exercising, build stronger bones by burning fat that's accumulated in their bone marrow. (Who knew you could have fat bones?)

Researchers from University of North Carolina School of Medicine have found that when obese people start exercising, the bone marrow fat they burn not only improves the strength, quality and even quantity of their bones, but it happens pretty quickly. They can see measurable results in weeks.

For more inspiration, remind your friend about how she used to enjoy exercising. She has the memories, so she knows how good exercise can make her feel. Also, tell her that there's research proving there's a link between regular exercise and stress reduction, easing of depression and happiness. And she'll be helping you stick with it if she joins you!

While that is true for everybody, research shows that focusing on exercise that makes you happy is especially motivating for women — and helps them keep exercising. Misguided motivation ("I am exercising because I should, and it is virtuous") is why 67 percent of gym memberships are never used — even once!

So help your friend pick out a new set of really good running/walking shoes; get her doing preworkout stretches with you; then start out slowly. Mix up what you try — maybe interval walking and a back-to-the-beginning yoga class. Help your friend re-find the fun in working out. Tip: So you don't cut back on your regular exercise routine, do part or all of you usual workout before joining your friend as a workout buddy.

Q: I hear there's a new noninvasive electronic brain stimulation that can make your short-term memory sharper. Is that true? — Chris H., Poughkeepsie, N.Y

Continued: http://news-sentinel.com/living/health/drs_roizen_and_oz_obese_should_exercise_for_better_bone_health_20170628&profile=1044