Author Topic: Supreme Court to hear case of baker's refusal to make wedding cake for gay couple  (Read 8730 times)

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
The U.S. Supreme Court announced Monday it will hear the case of a suburban Denver baker who refused to bake a wedding cake for a gay couple on faith-based grounds, in the latest religious freedom case to be considered before the nation's highest court. 

Jack Phillips, owner of Masterpiece Cakeshop, had refused to sell a customized cake for a gay couple's union, claiming a religious exemption to the state's anti-discrimination law.

State courts had ruled against the businessman.

The high court will now decide whether applying Colorado's public accommodations law to compel the baker to create "expression"-- a wedding cake -- violates his constitutionally protected Christian beliefs about marriage.

Phillips told the Supreme Court he has free speech and religious rights under the First Amendment that should protect him. He said he should not be compelled to bake a cake specifically to honor a same-sex marriage.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/06/26/supreme-court-to-hear-case-bakers-refusal-to-make-wedding-cake-for-gay-couple.html
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
The U.S. Supreme Court announced Monday it will hear the case of a suburban Denver baker who refused to bake a wedding cake for a gay couple on faith-based grounds, in the latest religious freedom case to be considered before the nation's highest court. 

If I'd been the baker, I'd say sure, and deliver this.....

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Wingnut

Hope he prevails in his endeavor to slap some sense into the Gay and blt bowel movement sweeping the country.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Hope he prevails in his endeavor to slap some sense into the Gay and blt bowel movement sweeping the country.

Yeah I'm hoping this goes his way too.

God help us if it doesn't.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Wingnut

Looks like a Jaba the hut cake in white.  Very fitting!

Offline Optiguy

Whoever the judges are that ruled the state can compel a person to create something they object to religiously should be impeached. It should have never gotten this far.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
I give credit to the SCOTUS for agreeing to take up the case.   It's bizarre how this stupid little disagreement has galvanized activists on both sides.  May as well resolve it,  to shut people up if for nothing else.

I'm pretty sure I know how it's going to go.   Be careful what you wish for, folks.  Arbitrary notions of "religious freedom" don't trump one's obligation to be fair and not discriminate with respect to commercial dealings in the public square.     
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 03:15:34 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire

They then would sue for the cost of the wedding and destroying their lifetime of happiness.

Sure would have been easier to come up with a different reason but I'm sure this gay 'couple' were targeting Christian businesses.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
I give credit to the SCOTUS for agreeing to take up the case.   It's bizarre how this stupid little disagreement has galvanized activists on both sides.  May as well resolve it,  to shut people up if for nothing else.

I'm pretty sure I know how it's going to go.   Be careful what you wish for, folks.  Arbitrary notions of "religious freedom" don't trump one's obligation to be fair and not discriminate with respect to commercial dealings in the public square.   

You still seem to be unable to grasp the notion that the owner has the right to refuse service to anyone.

Offline thackney

May as well resolve it,  to shut people up if for nothing else.

Like Roe vs Wade "settled" the abortion issue?
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Silver Pines

"Be careful when you wish for that silly religious freedom."

Lol

Offline rodamala

Whoever the judges are that ruled the state can compel a person to create something they object to religiously should be impeached. It should have never gotten this far.

Thanks to the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, we now live in a nation that forces its citizens, at gunpoint, under the penalty of fines and imprisonment, to enter into a contract to purchase a product that they do not want and do not need.

That being said, I fully expect any SCOTUS court case where someone is defending their right to be free of the involuntary servitude of being forced to enter into a contract to bake a cake will go badly for the baker.

Online roamer_1

Bullcrap.

A business should very well have a right to refuse service for any reason whatsoever. Being made to serve is not service it is slavery.

Had a homo baker refused to sell me a wedding cake, I might think he's an a$$h0le, and tell him so, but i'd just go find someone else who would gladly give me what I want. That's what a free market is.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
You still seem to be unable to grasp the notion that the owner has the right to refuse service to anyone.

If you run a "public accommodation",  you cannot refuse service for arbitrary reasons.   Most of us agree with that principle in the context of, say, a public lunch counter that refuses to serve blacks.  But it's the same principle at work with this stubborn baker who won't bake the damn cake because of his "religious" animus toward gays and the notion that the community dares to provide legal protections against his brand of arbitrary "religious" bias.   

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Like Roe vs Wade "settled" the abortion issue?

All a court case can do is erect a signpost indicating the community's legal position when one person's action harms another.  It cannot erase the bigotry in a person's heart.   

Offline thackney

It cannot erase the bigotry in a person's heart.

There you go again, insulting peoples scripture based beliefs.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Yeah I'm hoping this goes his way too.

God help us if it doesn't.

I don't care how the court "rules".  No one can force me to sin and violate my conscience and faith in order to comply with an evil law.

Better to obey God than men.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Mom MD

Don't feed the troll   He will take over this thread
God is still in control

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
If you run a "public accommodation",  you cannot refuse service for arbitrary reasons.   

Watch us.  Yes we can.  I do it all the time with respect to my own business.

Most of us agree with that principle in the context of, say, a public lunch counter that refuses to serve blacks. 

"Public lunch counter"?  Where does the government run those exactly outside of public schools we taxpayers subsidize?  Care to share which restaurants and lunch counters we taxpayers fund that are public accommodations?

If I go to a Chocolate City, and I go to a restaurant that says they do not serve whites, I leave and spend my money on a place that will.  I do not come back to target those owners with lawsuits and government agents in order to put them out of business and create a climate of fear.

But of course I would not expect meddlesome tyrants who preach tolerance to comprehend that personal skill.

But it's the same principle at work with this stubborn baker who won't bake the damn cake because of his "religious" animus toward gays and the notion that the community dares to provide legal protections against his brand of arbitrary "religious" bias.

Screw their "protections".  They are not "protections", they are Preferred Castes of the Government, based on perverted behavior.

But you make me laugh - if I went to a Muslim bakery and demanded they bake me an Easter Lamb cake, and put them through the same bullshit hell the homos and people like you put Masterpiece Bakeshop through - I'm certain you would take up for the Muslims.

Because you are in no wise for 'equal protection' at all.  We got your number and know what you are.

Don't feed the troll   He will take over this thread

It is not for his benefit we take apart his inane statements, but for yours and the board's - so Conservatives can recognize these wolves in our midst and how to tear asunder their clever subterfuge in support of the Leftist agenda.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Mom MD

I don't care how the court "rules".  No one can force me to sin and violate my conscience and faith in order to comply with an evil law.

Better to obey God than men.

Absolutely I agree with you.   No one can force me to violate Gods Law.  However it would still be better if the courts agree.   I would rather have Christians participating in commerce and the public square than in jail or unable to make a living.  But however it goes God is in control and He will reward those who make a stand on His name
God is still in control

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I'm with you on that. Hopefully SCOTUS will rule sensibly on this, especially since it seems these 'couples' have been seeking Christian owned businesses for the purpose of being refused and suing them. It isn't as if there are no other bakers or wedding venues or photographers out there.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Mom MD

It is not for his benefit we take apart his inane statements, but for yours and the board's - so Conservatives can recognize these wolves in our midst and how to tear asunder their clever subterfuge in support of the Leftist agenda.
[/quote]

I prefer reasoned and reasonable discussion to the tiresome circular arguments that this poster deflects a thread to.  By all means state the case but I prefer not to get drawn in to playing on the liberals terms 
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 04:25:03 pm by Mom MD »
God is still in control

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.

So sue a Muslim restaurant for refusing to put on a pig roast some time, and we'll see how that works out.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Mom MD

So sue a Muslim restaurant for refusing to put on a pig roast some time, and we'll see how that works out.

If SCOTUS rules the wrong way, I think that is exactly what should be done.  The case would be back to the supremes in record time
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 04:28:07 pm by Mom MD »
God is still in control

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
If you run a "public accommodation",  you cannot refuse service for arbitrary reasons.   Most of us agree with that principle in the context of, say, a public lunch counter that refuses to serve blacks.  But it's the same principle at work with this stubborn baker who won't bake the damn cake because of his "religious" animus toward gays and the notion that the community dares to provide legal protections against his brand of arbitrary "religious" bias.

@Jazzhead

First of all the Bible (aka Gods Word) is not arbitrary.   Parts of it have been written down for 3600 years at least.  They  haven't changed.

Christians are  part of the community too, a big part.  We have rights as well, including free speech.  Why do you hate Christians so much?  Its not like we invented Gods rules.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.