Author Topic: Trump in Iowa: President calls for barring immigrants from welfare for five years  (Read 7212 times)

Online libertybele

Yes!  Excellent idea.  However, I would go even further and have a moratorium on ALL immigration into this country for a period of 5 years.  That would give us some time to put in place a wall (yes I know it's not in budget), increase border security, and have a better system to know who's coming into this country.

Trump in Iowa: President calls for barring immigrants from welfare for five years

....“The time has come for new immigration rules that say ... those seeking immigration into our country must be able to support themselves financially and should not use welfare for a period of at least five years," Trump told a campaign-style rally in Grand Rapids, Iowa.

Trump's proposal would build on the Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act of 1996, which allows federal authorities to deport immigrants who become public dependents within five years of their arrival. Many of that law’s provisions were rolled back during the George W. Bush and Barack Obama administrations, but Trump's proposal would make more categories of federal benefits off-limits to immigrants......

.....Trump's proposal would also prevent the admission of people who are likely to become so-called "public charges" within five years of their arrival. The concept of "public charge" has been part of U.S. immigration law for over a century. It allows the government to bar entry to individuals who are likely to seek public assistance. Trump is expected to propose toughening up the rules regarding “public charge” and ensuring that they are enforced.

The administration circulated a draft executive order to make Trump's proposed changes earlier this year. However, Trump's remarks Wednesday indicated that he wants Congress to codify his plan into law..........

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/06/22/trump-in-iowa-president-calls-for-barring-immigrants-from-welfare-for-five-years.html

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

At least the AP got the name of the city right in the photo.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline DB

How about social security for immigrants?

Currently (I believe) you can work for 10 years and collect social security the rest of your life.

Online libertybele

How about social security for immigrants?

Currently (I believe) you can work for 10 years and collect social security the rest of your life.

If they are here legally and working and paying into the system, I don't have a problem with that.  There are those that are here illegally, and obtain a social  security number fraudulently in order to collect benefits which is a whole other matter.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Agree. If you can't come here legally without supporting yourself, then you need to go home. The USA is now some sow with a free teat for you to belly up to.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Agree. If you can't come here legally without supporting yourself, then you need to go home. The USA is now some sow with a free teat for you to belly up to.

He should have just done it with Executive Order.  Going to have trouble getting this through.  Too many politicians with strings to corporations welfare.  Also fearing the Hispanic vote.

I would say good Trump.  But if it fails to pass it will be worthless.  Just talk right now.

But if this goes through it will be huge deterrent to illegal immigration.  They should also put a stop to free emergency care at the hospital.  Coming over the border and dropping a baby for free.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 02:31:18 pm by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
If I'm not mistaken its already law.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

And there are millions breaking the law with the complete aid and assistance of Washington DC and state bureaucrats!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil

Why isn't it enforced then?  Get busy deporting.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

THAT my dear is a question many of us have been asking for a VERY long time!

Enforce the damned laws we already have and there will be no need for new ones in this area!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Hoodat

Trump in Iowa: President calls for barring immigrants from welfare for five years

Ya think?

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter

What, indeed, is the current law with respect to legal immigrants? 
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline montanajoe

You are not mistaken.

But this does keep the emotions high in his supporters and that's what its all about  :shrug:

Currently green card holders must wait 5 years before they are eligible for any means tested federal benefit and contrary to popular belief it is being enforced. Additionally, when they apply for their green cards initially they have to find a sponsor who well agree to support them should they require welfare and other means tested benefits until they have become a citizen or worked 10 years to qualify for SS..

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Thanks for the information, MJ.
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Yes, it is.

Online libertybele

Though there are laws on the books, there are also exceptions to those laws that seem to enable many to receive benefits.  It also greatly depends on who is filling out the paperwork and what they've been instructed to do.

Exceptions to the Restrictions

The law includes important exceptions for certain types of services. Regardless of their status, not-qualified immigrants are eligible for emergency Medicaid if they are otherwise eligible for their state’s Medicaid program. The law does not restrict access to public health programs that provide immunizations and/or treatment of communicable disease symptoms (whether or not those symptoms are caused by such a disease). School breakfast and lunch programs remain open to all children regardless of immigration status, and every state has opted to provide access to the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children (WIC).

Short-term noncash emergency disaster assistance remains available without regard to immigration status. Also exempted from the restrictions are other in-kind services necessary to protect life or safety, as long as no individual or household income qualification is required. In 2001, the U.S. attorney general published a final order specifying the types of benefits that meet these criteria. The attorney general’s list includes child and adult protective services; programs addressing weather emergencies and homelessness; shelters, soup kitchens, and meals-on-wheels; medical, public health, and mental health services necessary to protect life or safety; disability or substance abuse services necessary to protect life or safety; and programs to protect the life or safety of workers, children and youths, or community residents.

https://www.nilc.org/issues/economic-support/overview-immeligfedprograms/

Offline roamer_1

Which is why this declaration is drivel... Distraction.
Better start looking at his other hand, because he's really doing something else.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
He should have just done it with Executive Order.  Going to have trouble getting this through.  Too many politicians with strings to corporations welfare.  Also fearing the Hispanic vote.

I would say good Trump.  But if it fails to pass it will be worthless.  Just talk right now.

But if this goes through it will be huge deterrent to illegal immigration.  They should also put a stop to free emergency care at the hospital.  Coming over the border and dropping a baby for free.

I hope Trump can get this enacted.  I don't know if it can be done by Executive Order or if Congress has to approve.

We cannot 'put a stop' to emergency care at hospitals.  Can't be done.  Shouldn't be done.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Which is why this declaration is drivel... Distraction.
Better start looking at his other hand, because he's really doing something else.

So Trump DOES play tennis with both hands?

Anyway, he's working hard to get his travel ban enacted.  If we could just keep illegals out in the first place, all this would be moot.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
How odd, when my parents legally immigrated to America in the early 1950's they had to
A: Have a sponsor prior to being able to come.
B. had to sign an affidavit that tey would neither accept or seek any government assistance for a period of five years.

Now we not only give illegals more and better benefifts than native born Americans and legal immigrants, we actively teach potential illegals how to rip off American taxpayers in their home countries before they even steal accross our borders.
:shrug:

Offline roamer_1

Anyway, he's working hard to get his travel ban enacted.  If we could just keep illegals out in the first place, all this would be moot.

Nah, this ain't tennis... this is a con. And sure, it takes two hands to waltz y'all down the garden path.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 06:12:14 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Emjay, there are so many here - what estimates of 43 million?  We have to deal with them too.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Emjay, there are so many here - what estimates of 43 million?  We have to deal with them too.

Of course we do.  But we shouldn't add to the problem.

I wish I knew how to persuade those already here to leave but cutting off all benefits to illegals would be a start.

And cracking down on people who employ illegals would be another start.  They are all law breakers and should have no standing under our laws.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Of course we do.  But we shouldn't add to the problem.

I wish I knew how to persuade those already here to leave but cutting off all benefits to illegals would be a start.

And cracking down on people who employ illegals would be another start.  They are all law breakers and should have no standing under our laws.

Then, we do agree.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
weaselzippers
June 22

https://www.weaselzippers.us/345124-trump-in-iowa-president-calls-for-barring-immigrants-from-welfare-for-five-years/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfuvsIQb9jk&feature=youtu.be

Exactly right! Why should wbe import poverty into our country? As of 2 years ago, more than 90% of middle eastern immigrants were on food stamps and nearly 70% were on cash assistance. This must stop.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/09/10/more-than-90-percent-of-middle-eastern-refugees-on-food-stamps/

Via Fox News:

President Trump announced Wednesday night that he will soon ask Congress to pass legislation banning immigrants from accessing public assistance within five years of entering the U.S.

“The time has come for new immigration rules that say … those seeking immigration into our country must be able to support themselves financially and should not use welfare for a period of at least five years,” Trump told a campaign-style rally in Grand Rapids, Iowa.

Trump’s proposal would build on the Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act of 1996, which allows federal authorities to deport immigrants who become public dependents within five years of their arrival. Many of that law’s provisions were rolled back during the George W. Bush and Barack Obama administrations, but Trump’s proposal would make more categories of federal benefits off-limits to immigrants.

Currently,states typically have the authority to determine eligibility for local public assistance programs.

Foreigners with non-immigrant visas and those who don’t have legal status are generally prohibited from those benefits altogether.

Trump’s proposal would also prevent the admission of people who are likely to become so-called “public charges” within five years of their arrival. The concept of “public charge” has been part of U.S. immigration law for over a century. It allows the government to bar entry to individuals who are likely to seek public assistance. Trump is expected to propose toughening up the rules regarding “public charge” and ensuring that they are enforced.

The administration circulated a draft executive order to make Trump’s proposed changes earlier this year. However, Trump’s remarks Wednesday indicated that he wants Congress to codify his plan into law.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com