Author Topic: Abbott vetoes 50 bills passed by Legislature  (Read 1795 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Abbott vetoes 50 bills passed by Legislature
« on: June 19, 2017, 12:41:52 am »

Texas Tribune by Patrick Svitek June 15, 2017

Gov. Greg Abbott has vetoed 50 bills that were passed during the regular legislative session, his office announced Thursday.

Gov. Greg Abbott has vetoed 50 bills that were passed during the regular legislative session, his office announced Thursday.

That's several more than he vetoed following the last session and the most a governor has doled out since 2007.

Abbott offered a number of common explanations for his vetoes, calling the bills unnecessary, too costly or too burdensome. He vetoed at least five bills for the same reason: The House bill's author asked for a veto because he prefers the Senate companion.

Abbott vetoed one measure, House Bill 1284, because, in his telling, the legislation was the "exact same bill" that he vetoed in 2015. The legislation deals with the licensing for certain electrical workers.

In at least two instances, Abbott vetoed bills on the same topics that he has asked lawmakers to address in a special session starting July 18. One of them, House Bill 2410, would have allowed for mail-in-ballot-only elections in certain small county elections — Abbott said mail-in ballot fraud is too serious of a problem to risk it.

In another veto with a connection to the special session agenda, Abbott nixed Senate Bill 744, saying it did not go far enough in beating back municipal tree ordinances.

"I applaud the bill authors for their efforts, but I believe we can do better for private property owners in the upcoming special session," the governor said in his veto statement.

Another measure he vetoed Thursday was Senate Bill 790, which would have kept in operation an advisory group that makes recommendations to the state on its women's health services.

Abbott said in his veto statement that SB 790 "does nothing more than extend the expiration date of a governmental committee that has already successfully completed its mission."

"Rather than prolong government committees beyond their expiration date, the state should focus on programs that address more clearly identifiable needs, like my call for action to address the maternal mortality rate during the special session," Abbott said.

More: https://www.texastribune.org/2017/06/15/gov-greg-abbott-vetoes-50-bills-passed-texas-legislature/

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Abbott vetoes 50 bills passed by Legislature
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 12:52:35 am »
"Rather than prolong government committees beyond their expiration date, the state should focus on programs that address more clearly identifiable needs, like my call for action to address the maternal mortality rate during the special session," Abbott said.

That seems pretty unusual. Is he that good?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 12:57:05 am »

Yep!  He is indeed!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 01:02:40 am »
Yep!  He is indeed!
Is he presidential/VP material?

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 01:10:03 am »

Material, yes. Not sure if he's interested though.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 01:13:54 am »

In my very bisaed opinion he is anything he chooses to do material.  Brilliant  but wheelchair bound due to a freek accident some years ago.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 01:30:48 am »
In my very bisaed opinion he is anything he chooses to do material.  Brilliant  but wheelchair bound due to a freek accident some years ago.
In this day and age that should not be a problem. Still, the decision is his alone. Apparently he's darned good where he is, too.

C S Lewis

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 01:45:05 am »

@Smokin Joe
Yes, he is. He was our Attorney General and said this: "I go to work and sue the federal government, then I go home and come back the next day and sue the federal government."  He won most of the cases against the government and he is the one who hired Ted Cruz to help him sue the government.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 01:58:32 pm »
I believe he is more interested in preserving his state from the ravages of federal dominion.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2017, 02:09:46 pm »
I believe he is more interested in preserving his state from the ravages of federal dominion.
Can't fault that.

C S Lewis