Author Topic: Otto Warmbier: American student freed by North Korea back on US soil  (Read 9441 times)

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Re: Otto Warmbier: American student freed by North Korea back on US soil
« Reply #150 on: June 21, 2017, 03:43:48 pm »
I'm so grateful my dad was called/drafted  to Europe after VE Day. Otherwise he would have been sent to Japan. And most likely not come home.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #151 on: June 21, 2017, 03:45:50 pm »
Most people have no idea, how serious WWII was for America. Like 16 million people in uniform. Like food, rubber, gasoline rationing, blackouts and curfews, because there was justifiable fear of attacks along the Pacific coast by the Japs.

The Japs shelled onshore oil facilities at Ellwood in Santa Barbara County, somewhere along the Oregon coast.

Yep... caused a whole $500 in damages too...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #152 on: June 21, 2017, 03:47:05 pm »

Link?
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline GourmetDan

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline thackney

« Reply #154 on: June 21, 2017, 03:52:00 pm »
...The Japs shelled onshore oil facilities at Ellwood in Santa Barbara County, somewhere along the Oregon California coast. There were huge nets to protect West coast harbors from invasion by Jap submarines sneaking in....

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline skeeter

« Reply #155 on: June 21, 2017, 03:52:26 pm »
Most people have no idea, how serious WWII was for America. Like 16 million people in uniform. Like food, rubber, gasoline rationing, blackouts and curfews, because there was justifiable fear of attacks along the Pacific coast by the Japs.

The Japs shelled onshore oil facilities at Ellwood in Santa Barbara County, somewhere along the Oregon coast. There were huge nets to protect West coast harbors from invasion by Jap submarines sneaking in.

There was little sympathy for those who were interned, and no sympathy for those killed at Hiroshima and Nagasaki, since it seemed they would go on until millions more were killed; mostly their own civilians.

They treatment by Japan, of civilian Chinese, Koreans, Filipinos, Okinawans, etc. proved beyond any doubt they were among the most evil enemies the world had known.

The Japs showed no sign they were about to surrender, on Iwo Jima and Okinawa. Instead they fought to the last man. That very fact cost many, many lives.

Okinawa had the most loss of American lives, of any Pacific theater battle. The greatest loss of lives, was at sea, from cowardly kamikaze attacks on allied Navy ships.

The original fanatical terrorists, the Japs.

You can call them enigmatic, fanatical, insane, deluded, but I don't think cowardly is an appropriate adjective for a Kamikaze.

Offline thackney

« Reply #156 on: June 21, 2017, 04:02:50 pm »

But it caused a lot of concern/hysteria.  In fact the aftermath lead to something unexpected:

http://aoghs.org/petroleum-in-war/wwii-sub-attacks-oilfield/

Despite missing their targets, dropping into the sea, on the beach, and into nearby cliffs, the Japanese artillery shells brought dramatic results. They not only fueled West Coast invasion fears, but also soon led to the largest mass UFO sightings in U.S. history.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #157 on: June 21, 2017, 04:04:31 pm »
Many don't even know that Japan invaded America.  If they had not been stopped after a couple of Aleutian Islands, the foot hold would have grown up the chain to the mainland.

http://www.kuriositas.com/2012/11/the-forgotten-battle-japanese-invasion.html

http://www.history.com/topics/world-war-ii/battle-of-the-aleutian-islands

@thackney
I find it fascinating (tragically) that such a small nation with so few people created such an empire over so many and such a large land mass.  They were probably outnumbered 500 to 1 and yet they were such a powerful force.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #158 on: June 21, 2017, 04:06:15 pm »
It's called being ruthless, my friend.

That and leaving the conquered gods alone (mostly) works every time.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline thackney

« Reply #159 on: June 21, 2017, 04:08:09 pm »
I find it fascinating (tragically) that such a small nation with so few people created such an empire over so many and such a large land mass.  They were probably outnumbered 500 to 1 and yet they were such a powerful force.

History shows it happen quite a few times.

England, Rome, etc...

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #160 on: June 21, 2017, 04:13:21 pm »
But it caused a lot of concern/hysteria.

http://aoghs.org/petroleum-in-war/wwii-sub-attacks-oilfield/

Which is more proof for my statement that the media is used to produce a desired response regardless of reality...

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #161 on: June 21, 2017, 04:17:52 pm »
Which is more proof for my statement that the media is used to produce a desired response regardless of reality...

Ample proof that some peoples reality is created from tinfoil

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #162 on: June 21, 2017, 04:20:57 pm »
Ample proof that some peoples reality is created from tinfoil

Of course, we remember that the whole sensitivity to being labeled a 'conspiracy theorist' derives from CIA use of the idea to discredit anyone who questioned the official government story of the JFK assassination.

IMO, our society would be much healthier with a generous dose of skepticism toward anything 'official' from our government... any government's motivations are generally the exact opposite of a free society and its citizens...

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #163 on: June 21, 2017, 04:27:29 pm »

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #164 on: June 21, 2017, 04:30:43 pm »
And sometimes you're just a nut.

It appears that the only thing we have proved is that no proof is sufficient proof for those who demand proof...

Offline thackney

« Reply #165 on: June 21, 2017, 04:34:53 pm »

I would say it goes to showing the validity of "eye-witness" testimony that have no real knowledge, but were there...

Offline driftdiver

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #167 on: June 21, 2017, 04:37:54 pm »
I would say it goes to showing the validity of "eye-witness" testimony that have no real knowledge, but were there...

I was referring to the big newspaper headline designed to cause a lot of concern/hysteria as you noted...

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #168 on: June 21, 2017, 04:39:06 pm »
What proof have you posted @GourmetDan ?

It appears that the only thing we have proved is that no proof is sufficient proof for those who demand proof...

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #169 on: June 21, 2017, 04:41:16 pm »

@GourmetDan
Quoting yourself making a nonsensical argument is not proof.

A headline about a foreign nation shelling the coast is not hysterical.   good grief     Its pretty darn important when you don't know if an invasion fleet is 25 miles offshore.

Offline thackney

« Reply #170 on: June 21, 2017, 04:43:15 pm »
I was referring to the big newspaper headline designed to cause a lot of concern/hysteria as you noted...

I would say, even in hindsight of the lousy ability to hit the target, having a sub come into firing range, continue firing for 20 minutes near a large population center (Santa Barbara), and leave unchallenged is a major concern.  It greatly needed to have the current level of protection stepped up.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #171 on: June 21, 2017, 04:45:16 pm »
@GourmetDan
Quoting yourself making a nonsensical argument is not proof.

Neither is repeating a claim after it has been demolished a valid argument.

A headline about a foreign nation shelling the coast is not hysterical.   good grief     Its pretty darn important when you don't know if an invasion fleet is 25 miles offshore.

I wasn't the one who said an 'attack' generating $500 in damages generated a lot of concern/hysteria... but it does show the power of media to generate the desired response in a group that blindly accepts media hype...

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #172 on: June 21, 2017, 04:47:11 pm »
Neither is repeating a claim after it has been demolished a valid argument.

I wasn't the one who said an 'attack' generating $500 in damages generated a lot of concern/hysteria... but it does show the power of media to generate the desired response in a group that blindly accepts media hype...

The logic you're using couldn't demolish a hot fudge sundae on a hot July afternoon.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #173 on: June 21, 2017, 04:49:48 pm »
I would say, even in hindsight of the lousy ability to hit the target, having a sub come into firing range, continue firing for 20 minutes near a large population center (Santa Barbara), and leave unchallenged is a major concern.  It greatly needed to have the current level of protection stepped up.

Whereas now we have quite the opposite... where media covers up racial and religious violence in order not to produce a much-needed protective response by society...

Again... more proof of media manipulating the facts to produce a desired response regardless of reality...

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #174 on: June 21, 2017, 04:51:27 pm »
Whereas now we have quite the opposite... where media covers up racial and religious violence in order not to produce a much-needed protective response by society...

Again... more proof of media manipulating the facts to produce a desired response regardless of reality...

@GourmetDan
Your argument might be taken more seriously if you didn't try to discount every single event thats happened in the history of the world.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 04:55:12 pm by driftdiver »