Author Topic: PUERTO RICO UPHOLDS STATEHOOD DEMAND IN CONTENTIOUS VOTE  (Read 1202 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline 240B

  • Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
  • ***
  • Posts: 14,110
PUERTO RICO UPHOLDS STATEHOOD DEMAND IN CONTENTIOUS VOTE
« on: June 12, 2017, 06:41:28 AM »

AP
BY DANICA COTO
06-11-17


SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP) -- Puerto Rico's governor is vowing to turn the U.S. territory into the 51st state after statehood won in a non-binding referendum hit by a boycott and low turnout that raised questions about the vote's legitimacy.


http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/C/CB_PUERTO_RICO_STATEHOOD?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2017-06-11-17-26-34
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Oceander

  • Guest
Re: PUERTO RICO UPHOLDS STATEHOOD DEMAND IN CONTENTIOUS VOTE
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 06:49:51 AM »
Cut P.R. Loose and let it sink or swim as an independent country. 

Wingnut

  • Guest
Re: PUERTO RICO UPHOLDS STATEHOOD DEMAND IN CONTENTIOUS VOTE
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 09:41:00 AM »
In the famous words of Fred G. Sanford
"You know what the Puerto Rican national anthem is? We'll take Manhattan The Bronx and Staten Island too I'm not kidding you.
Them Puerto Ricans gonna take over the whole neighborhood."


Offline Frank Cannon

  • Hero Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 26,212
Re: PUERTO RICO UPHOLDS STATEHOOD DEMAND IN CONTENTIOUS VOTE
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 09:47:14 AM »
won in a non-binding referendum

What's non-binding mean again? I thought so.

Offline DiogenesLamp

  • Hero Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 5,686
Re: PUERTO RICO UPHOLDS STATEHOOD DEMAND IN CONTENTIOUS VOTE
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 10:27:55 AM »
AP
BY DANICA COTO
06-11-17


SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP) -- Puerto Rico's governor is vowing to turn the U.S. territory into the 51st state after statehood won in a non-binding referendum hit by a boycott and low turnout that raised questions about the vote's legitimacy.


http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/C/CB_PUERTO_RICO_STATEHOOD?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2017-06-11-17-26-34



Make Congress's recognition of state hood contingent upon Puerto Rico being debt free.   


End of problem. 



Offline cato potatoe

  • Hero Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 1,325
Re: PUERTO RICO UPHOLDS STATEHOOD DEMAND IN CONTENTIOUS VOTE
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 12:01:12 PM »
This is going to be a problem, when the Democrats regain control.  Admitting PR would give them a permanent electoral boost, and some Republicans have voiced support for the notion.

Offline SirLinksALot

  • TBR Contributor
  • *****
  • Posts: 4,421
Re: PUERTO RICO UPHOLDS STATEHOOD DEMAND IN CONTENTIOUS VOTE
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2017, 01:40:15 PM »
Voter turnout was just 23 percent. What were the other 77% doing?

Offline Emjay

  • Hero Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 12,767
  • Womp, womp
Re: PUERTO RICO UPHOLDS STATEHOOD DEMAND IN CONTENTIOUS VOTE
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2017, 01:42:12 PM »
In the famous words of Fred G. Sanford
"You know what the Puerto Rican national anthem is? We'll take Manhattan The Bronx and Staten Island too I'm not kidding you.
Them Puerto Ricans gonna take over the whole neighborhood."

We sure don't need two senators from Puerto Rico.  We've already got two from Hawaii.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline DiogenesLamp

  • Hero Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 5,686
Re: PUERTO RICO UPHOLDS STATEHOOD DEMAND IN CONTENTIOUS VOTE
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2017, 01:47:10 PM »
This is going to be a problem, when the Democrats regain control.  Admitting PR would give them a permanent electoral boost, and some Republicans have voiced support for the notion.



Yup.  So how do we fix it? 


Offline Cripplecreek

  • Hero Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 12,748
  • Constitutional Extremist
Re: PUERTO RICO UPHOLDS STATEHOOD DEMAND IN CONTENTIOUS VOTE
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2017, 02:13:39 PM »
This is going to be a problem, when the Democrats regain control.  Admitting PR would give them a permanent electoral boost, and some Republicans have voiced support for the notion.

Its a mess. Puerto Rico is a big source of illegals. While they themselves are American citizens a lot of illegals exploit their non existent borders and lax record keeping as a means to become instant Puerto Ricans /Americans.

Nothing should make a man happier than knowing his government couldn't care less about him.
I'd rather lose defending the constitution than win at its expense.
Hitlers are born and die every day without notice. Its the morons who put them in power that are dangerous.
You don't escape guilt by declaring that you have no choice.
Lese-majeste is my middle name

Offline txradioguy

  • Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • ****
  • Posts: 18,670
  • Rule #39
Re: PUERTO RICO UPHOLDS STATEHOOD DEMAND IN CONTENTIOUS VOTE
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2017, 02:19:09 PM »
Cut P.R. Loose and let it sink or swim as an independent country.

My thoughts exactly. The last thing we need is another state that is deep blue and a financial drag on the rest of the country.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Cyber Liberty

  • Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • ******
  • Posts: 45,768
  • We got 'im now!®
Re: PUERTO RICO UPHOLDS STATEHOOD DEMAND IN CONTENTIOUS VOTE
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2017, 03:10:44 PM »
Voter turnout was just 23 percent. What were the other 77% doing?

Boycotting the election.
Don't call it the "Federal Government," that's an insult to the Founders.  It's a "National Government."
I will NOT comply.
                          Castillo del Cyber! ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline cato potatoe

  • Hero Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 1,325
Re: PUERTO RICO UPHOLDS STATEHOOD DEMAND IN CONTENTIOUS VOTE
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2017, 04:05:59 PM »
Yup.  So how do we fix it?

Start by exposing the Republicans who are open this farce.  But we will eventually have to fight the Democrats with simple math that most voters can understand.  Puerto Rico's median household income is less than $19,000, as compared to $56,000 for the mainland.  Few islanders would pay income taxes, and the welfare rolls would balloon.  It's a one-sided political power grab with zero benefit for those stuck with the bill.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

  • TBR Advisory Committee
  • ***
  • Posts: 3,988
Re: PUERTO RICO UPHOLDS STATEHOOD DEMAND IN CONTENTIOUS VOTE
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2017, 04:15:32 PM »


Make Congress's recognition of state hood contingent upon Puerto Rico being debt free.   


End of problem.

Wouldn't be fair.  Recognition of statehood should also be contingent on the USA being debt free.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline DiogenesLamp

  • Hero Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 5,686
Re: PUERTO RICO UPHOLDS STATEHOOD DEMAND IN CONTENTIOUS VOTE
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2017, 04:28:07 PM »
Wouldn't be fair.  Recognition of statehood should also be contingent on the USA being debt free.


Our focus ought not be on what is "fair".   Our focus ought to be on what is in our best interest.   


Clearly,   adding a state that has a 70 billion dollar debt and insufficient economic activity to be solvent is a stupid idea.   




Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf