Author Topic: U.S. joins battle as Philippines takes losses in besieged city  (Read 1538 times)

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...

Reuters
By Neil Jerome Morales and Simon Lewis
Sat Jun 10, 2017 | 7:05pm EDT

U.S. special forces have joined the battle to crush Islamist militants holed up in a southern Philippines town, officials said on Saturday, as government forces struggled to make headway and 13 marines were killed in intense urban fighting.

The Philippines military said the United States was providing technical assistance to end the siege of Marawi City by fighters allied to Islamic State, which is now in its third week, but it had no boots on the ground.

"They are not fighting. They are just providing technical support," military spokesman Lieutenant Colonel Jo-Ar Herrera told a news conference in Marawi City.

The Pentagon, which has no permanent presence in the Philippines but for years has kept 50 to 100 special forces troops in the south of the country on rotational exercises, confirmed it was helping the Philippine military in Marawi.

(more)
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-philippines-militants-idUSKBN19107I
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline NavyCanDo

Re: U.S. joins battle as Philippines takes losses in besieged city
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 01:20:08 pm »
Anyone else thougt this sounded like the headline from a 1942 newspaper?
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Wingnut

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 01:24:50 pm »
Misleading liberal writer would have you believe the 13 dead were American Marines.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 07:57:33 pm »
This is not a good thing in my opinion. The Filipinos, left on their own, would slaughter every last Muslim bastard involved in the fight, until none were left. Now, with U.S. involvement, they will be constrained by ridiculous R.O.E.s and U.N. bullshit.

I think we have to admit that the track record of the U.S. in terms of fighting a war, is abysmal after WWII. It is always nice to have the technology and money that America has to offer, but in terms of getting them involved in fighting a real war, if I were the Philippines, I would rather be on my own. The U.S. knows how to lose a war. The U.S. knows how to fight a stalemate war for 25+ years. But, since 1945 America has never "won" any war.

Rodrigo Duterte el Audaz y el Valiente, would be wise to keep America out of the actual fighting and out of the prosecution of the war effort, if he intends to actually 'win' the war. All America will do is to bog him down with bullshit and he will be fighting this scum for the next 100 years.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2017, 08:06:02 pm »
Glad you said what I couldn't.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 12:16:13 am »
Misleading liberal writer would have you believe the 13 dead were American Marines.

Huh?

It specifically says the support is Special Forces, and that there are no boots on the ground.  Besides, even though American Marines are marine soldiers, if it specifically indicated USMC, they would have capitalized Marines.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline endicom

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2017, 12:19:26 am »
Anyone else thougt this sounded like the headline from a 1942 newspaper?

Yup.

Offline Gideon300

• Equal Opportunity Bigot
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2017, 04:50:45 am »
This is not a good thing in my opinion. The Filipinos, left on their own, would slaughter every last Muslim bastard involved in the fight, until none were left. Now, with U.S. involvement, they will be constrained by ridiculous R.O.E.s and U.N. bullshit.

I think we have to admit that the track record of the U.S. in terms of fighting a war, is abysmal after WWII. It is always nice to have the technology and money that America has to offer, but in terms of getting them involved in fighting a real war, if I were the Philippines, I would rather be on my own. The U.S. knows how to lose a war. The U.S. knows how to fight a stalemate war for 25+ years. But, since 1945 America has never "won" any war.

Rodrigo Duterte el Audaz y el Valiente, would be wise to keep America out of the actual fighting and out of the prosecution of the war effort, if he intends to actually 'win' the war. All America will do is to bog him down with bullshit and he will be fighting this scum for the next 100 years.

I agree.  The Philippines has been fighting the Muslims/Moros on Mindanao since the Spanish occupation, and they are finally making some headway in Davao City, among others.  The last thing Duterte needs is the US coming in to "advise" him on how to fight a war.  I'm afraid he wouldn't be "El Audaz y El Valiente" for long.

I know the US would be the last country in the world to harbor any ulterior motives, but I think they would love to regain total control of Subic Bay and Clark Field. 

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2017, 04:59:15 am »

Not really. The US military took the Korean peninsula one and a half times during the course of that war. Like Vietnam, the politicians blew it, and they have done so for every 'conflict' since, with the exception of Grenada and Panama, which had a definite accomplish this, go home strategy from day one.

Our Military does a great job, they have even beaten our foes with one hand tied behind their back by the politicians.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2017, 05:35:38 am »
The US has been involved in the insurgency in the Philippines since 2001, one of those things that unless you have been there seen/done that the real and fake media would have left you clueless.

Actually I think this could be a wake up call to Duterte that it is the strategic interests of both the PI and the US to strengthen our relationships and at a minimum to formally reestablish our presence at Subic and Clark   

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2017, 05:37:46 am »
The US has been involved in the insurgency in the Philippines since 2001, one of those things that unless you have been there seen/done that the real and fake media would have left you clueless.

Actually I think this could be a wake up call to Duterte that it is the strategic interests of both the PI and the US to strengthen our relationships and at a minimum to formally reestablish our presence at Subic and Clark   
Actually, the 1911 colt was developed because of the lack of effect the .38s had on the Moros, it was just fielded too late for that round. Muslims have been a problem in the Philippines for a long time, and we've been involved for most of it..

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2017, 05:42:10 am »
Actually, the 1911 colt was developed because of the lack of effect the .38s had on the Moros, it was just fielded too late for that round. Muslims have been a problem in the Philippines for a long time, and we've been involved for most of it..

Yep..and on the whole the US has benefited from the relationship

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2017, 05:43:34 am »
Yep..and on the whole the US has benefited from the relationship
Quite true.

C S Lewis