Author Topic: Puerto Rico To Vote On Statehood On Sunday  (Read 1284 times)

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Puerto Rico To Vote On Statehood On Sunday
« on: June 09, 2017, 02:11:03 am »

The Federalist Papers
By Robert Gehl
June 7, 2017

On Sunday, Puerto Ricans are going to the polls to decide again on the issue of statehood.

Officially a territory, the island doesn’t have any voting representation in Congress. But if a statehood referendum passes, it could dramatically alter the balance of power in Washington.

A heavily leftist territory, making Puerto Rico a state could mean two Democratic Senators and five Democratic House members added to Congress. Puerto Rico is home to 3.5 million Americans.

(more)
http://thefederalistpapers.org/us/puerto-rico-to-vote-on-statehood-on-sunday
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline dfwgator

Re: Puerto Rico To Vote On Statehood On Sunday
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 02:13:22 am »
Don't we get a vote as to whether or not they become a state?

Wingnut

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 02:13:35 am »
 If they want to be a state then one has to go.    Say California.

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 02:17:32 am »

I'm pretty sure that Texas would volunteer for that job.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 02:18:41 am »
The Federalist Papers
By Robert Gehl
June 7, 2017

On Sunday, Puerto Ricans are going to the polls to decide again on the issue of statehood.

Hope someone tells these SOB's this would mean paying income tax. 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 02:23:40 am »
Hope someone tells these SOB's this would mean paying income tax.

And no more Olympic Team.

Offline endicom

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2017, 02:40:46 am »

Merge Rhode Island into Connecticut and Delaware into Maryland and we'll lose four Dem senators and I'd-have-to-look-it-up Dem representatives.

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2017, 02:41:19 am »
A heavily leftist territory, making Puerto Rico a state could mean two Democratic Senators and five Democratic House members added to Congress. Puerto Rico is home to 3.5 million Americans.

This is what has me worried. This would be a disaster. As it is, the Senate is basically split roughly 50/50.
Two more Dems would be a significant change.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2017, 02:44:42 am »

This is what has me worried. This would be a disaster. As it is, the Senate is basically split roughly 50/50.
Two more Dems would be a significant change.

And another thing,  we would be admitting a state where the majority of people don't speak English as a first language.   What this does is basically make Puerto Rico our "Quebec", and therefore we will essentially have two official languages,  English and Spanish.

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2017, 03:00:24 am »
And another thing,  we would be admitting a state where the majority of people don't speak English as a first language.   What this does is basically make Puerto Rico our "Quebec", and therefore we will essentially have two official languages,  English and Spanish.

We already have that. Round these parts it is difficult to find a job unless you speak at least some Spanish. It is like that in many parts of the county. Florida, Cali, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and others.

Our children will likely speak Spanish at some level. It will be necessary for employment. As you said very appropriately, like Quebec.

As someone posted earlier on another thread, this is part of the reason that American Blacks are freaking out lately all over the country. Blacks are no longer America's number one most influential minority anymore. And it is driving them nuts. Once most low level jobs require Spanish, Blacks will be all but cut-out of that job market altogether.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2017, 03:29:31 am »

If you thinks Cali sucks, wait till you see what Puerto Rico is all about. Besides being beyond bankrupt, it is a cesspool of corruption and crime. People skip going there to vacation and instead go to Jamaica. That's all you need to know.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2017, 03:40:58 am »
If you thinks Cali sucks, wait till you see what Puerto Rico is all about. Besides being beyond bankrupt, it is a cesspool of corruption and crime. People skip going there to vacation and instead go to Jamaica. That's all you need to know.

Having a wife from Puerto Rico, and being there several times,   it's surprising they can't get their act together to have more tourism.  The potential is there.   But frankly,  if I go to the Caribbean, I would much rather vacation in the Dominican Republic.