Author Topic: Indy Muslims call out creators of local billboard that insults Prophet Muhammad  (Read 15101 times)

Offline Old Warrior in Exile

Indy Muslims call out creators of local billboard that insults Prophet Muhammad

Fatima Hussein and Justin L. Mack , IndyStar Published 2:04 p.m. ET June 5, 2017 | Updated 1 minute ago

An anti-Muslim billboard disparaging the Prophet Muhammad that can be seen from the southbound lanes of I-465 on the east side is drawing concern from local Muslims.

Now, Islamic leaders in Indianapolis are challenging those responsible for what they say are offensive and untrue statements to stand by their words, shed their anonymity and explain their motivations.

"It is a horrible billboard. I'm outraged by it, but saddened at the same time ...  and I would like to know who is behind it," said Rima Shahid, executive director of the Muslim Alliance of Indiana. "It seems very cowardly to me. If you have some kind of stance, you should want to stand up next to your statement. I didn't think there was any room for hate in our city. This billboard tells me otherwise.

"This kind of rhetoric just furthers division in our state and makes a neighbor question a neighbor, just like I am today."

Muslim Day: Muslim Day celebration features panel discussion on failed hate crime bill

Finding Common Ground: #MeetAMuslim day comes to Indy

Shahid said the billboard, which she saw on southbound I-465 near the Washington Street exit, was brought to her attention Friday by an anonymous tipster.

The all black billboard has a headline of "The Perfect Man." Underneath are six bullet points to describe that man. These points include "married a 6-year-old," "slave owner & dealer" and "13 wives, 11 at one time."

[snip]

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/2017/06/05/indianapolis-muslims-call-out-creators-local-billboard-insults-prophet-muhammad/370969001/
Barba non facit philosophum.

Wingnut

The billboard also sits within the jurisdiction of Congressman Andre Carson, who is one of two Muslims serving in Congress.

Location Location Location!

Offline dfwgator

Boo frickin' hoo.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
This is bigotry, pure and simple.   How would Christians react to a billboard slandering the Prince of Peace?   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Wingnut

This is bigotry, pure and simple.   How would Christians react to a billboard slandering the Prince of Peace?

Wouldn't do a damn thing.

Offline dfwgator

I say 'Suck it up, buttercup'.  If your faith is so weak that a billboard gets you upset, maybe you should re-examine your faith.

Christians get bashed all the time, (Sharon Silverman, anyone?),  so what? 

Offline musiclady

The difference is pretty obvious.

To insult Jesus you have to lie.

To 'insult' Mohammed you just have to tell the truth.....
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline dfwgator

:thumbsup:

Offline Suppressed

So, if it's wrong, then let's see the evidence against it.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire

@Jazzhead
How is it slander?   He did all of those things.

My Lord, Jesus,  didn't do any of those things.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
I say 'Suck it up, buttercup'.  If your faith is so weak that a billboard gets you upset, maybe you should re-examine your faith.

Christians get bashed all the time, (Sharon Silverman, anyone?),  so what?

@dfwgator
They aren't upset because its slander or a lie, they are upset because its the truth.   If you go to Afghanistan they'll use those very things to justify their own actions.   "My prophet did it so it must be good"
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Wingnut

JayZ is over at DU looking for some talking points.   He'll be back shortly with "evidence"  to show us how Christian's react badly.

Offline thackney

slander
http://dictionary.law.com/Default.aspx/Default.aspx?selected=1969
n. oral defamation, in which someone tells one or more persons an untruth about another, which untruth will harm the reputation of the person defamed...

What part of the billboard did you think was slander?
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline thackney

Well said.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Suppressed

@dfwgator
They aren't upset because its slander or a lie, they are upset because its the truth.   If you go to Afghanistan they'll use those very things to justify their own actions.   "My prophet did it so it must be good"

But that's not what they're saying:

Indiana representative Andre Carson said he believes the billboard is untrue and that the billboard's author takes Islamic text and history out of context "just like Al-Qaeda, ISIS and the Klan do to religious texts to justify their bigotry."

They're saying it's not true.  I would like to hear their argument about how it isn't true.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Suppressed

JayZ is over at DU looking for some talking points.   He'll be back shortly with "evidence"  to show us how Christian's react badly.

I, for one, welcome anyone to go get "talking points" and "evidence" from DU or anywhere else, if it provides truth.  If these are false claims on the billboard, I want to be educated about that fact, don't you?
+++++++++

Wingnut

I, for one, welcome anyone to go get "talking points" and "evidence" from DU or anywhere else, if it provides truth.  If these are false claims on the billboard, I want to be educated about that fact, don't you?

He is an an erudite scholar in liberalisms.

Offline RoosGirl

The truth hurts sometimes.

Offline Suppressed

The truth hurts sometimes.

Yes, it does.  And it's bothersome that many people are afraid to seek it without worrying what it might reveal.
+++++++++

Oceander

With disappointment as well; but they'd be forced to suck it up and would be excoriated for complaining about it.  Double standards are double standards. 

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

It's not slander (or libel) if it's accurate.  Which it is.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

goopo

Wingnut

Muslims should and need to be ridiculed more often for what is done in the name of Allah and their acceptance of it.  Muslim shaming. They need a wake-up call.  And it ain't a call to prayer.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Within article:
"It's just a group of cowards who are not even ready to put their name behind it," Shahid said as she expressed the pain she felt to see this billboard in the midst of Ramadan. "It is very hard ... and I would like to find the people who are behind this and talk to the them about who came up with these, and it seems appropriate to use this term, alternative facts.

I checked the web and cannot find a quote from this same woman concerning the condemnation of the killings in London during Ramadan either.

Which is worse:  Telling the truth on a 'Reiligion' that promotes violence, or actually performing violence.

Until there are billboards set up by those Muslims to condemn that violence by other Muslims, there is no way this billboard should come down.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline skeeter

Did the left leap to Christians' defense when some a-hole dropped a crucifix in a jar of his own urine and called it "art"?

No, they defended it as 'free speech'.

At least this billboard tells defensible truths.