Author Topic: How The Texas Freedom Caucus Won The 2017 Legislative Session  (Read 1005 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
kut.org By Ben Philpott 6/5/2017

Last week, Texas made national news when state lawmakers got into a shouting match that escalated into shoving and even death threats.

But anger among politicians working at the Texas Capitol had been growing for weeks, and some lay blame for that at the feet of a small group of extremely conservative lawmakers. They call themselves the Texas Freedom Caucus.

The moniker is inspired by the group of far-right conservatives in the U.S. House that has played an oversized role in running Congress. And just like at the federal level, the 12 members of the Texas caucus have shifted the debate in the Texas House to the right.

Freedom, Liberty And Limited Government

The caucus appears to have simple goals: block any increase in taxes or government. And each time they oppose legislation, they make sure to drive that point home.

"This discussion and my opposition to this bill has been on one simple thing: whether this should be handled by the government or should be handled by communities and individuals," Rep. Jonathan Stickland (R-Bedford) said during a debate on the House floor this session.

There are similar groups popping up in legislatures across the country. In Kansas it’s the called the Truth Caucus. In Georgia, the Appeal to Heaven Caucus. But no matter the name, the principles play well on the campaign trail in deep red states.

More: http://kut.org/post/how-texas-freedom-caucus-won-2017-legislative-session

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: How The Texas Freedom Caucus Won The 2017 Legislative Session
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 08:09:57 pm »
Thank GOD for those conservative members! They are finally learning how to play hardball it seems!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 02:49:55 pm »
Thank GOD for those conservative members! They are finally learning how to play hardball it seems!
Now they need to dismember Speaker Joe Strauss and kick him to the back of the chamber.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 02:51:07 pm »
Now they need to dismember Speaker Joe Strauss and kick him to the back of the chamber.

:amen:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien