Author Topic: Pittsburgh mayor hits back after Trump invokes city in climate speech  (Read 1364 times)

Offline Applewood

Washington (CNN)  President Donald Trump invoked the people of Pittsburgh to defend his climate change decision Thursday, and the city's mayor bristled at the thought.

Explaining his choice to withdraw the US from the Paris climate agreement, Trump said: "I was elected to represent the citizens of Pittsburgh, not Paris."

Pittsburgh's Democratic Mayor Bill Peduto promptly took to Twitter to push back against the President's alliterative phrasing.

"The United States joins Syria, Nicaragua & Russia in deciding not to participate with world's Paris Agreement. It's now up to cities to lead," Peduto tweeted.

However, Russia signed on to the Paris agreement, and the US is joined only by Syria, a war-torn nation, and Nicaragua, which argued for a stronger agreement, in opposing the international accord.

Peduto said his city would stand with the vast majority of other nations by supporting the deal, and noted Pittsburgh swung for Hillary Clinton, not Trump. "Fact: Hillary Clinton received 80% of the vote in Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh stands with the world & will follow Paris Agreement," he tweeted.

///

Excerpted.  Read more at:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/01/politics/pittsburgh-mayor-donald-trump/

////

Ah, Pittsburgh.  Probably the dumbest city in the nation controlled by the dumbest politicians on earth, elected by the dumbest voters anywhere.

This is the same mayor who installed bicycle-only lanes on narrow, already clogged city streets, adding to the city's perpetual traffic gridlock, especially during major sporting events. 

Offline mountaineer

Peduto is right up there with DeBlasio as one of the absolute stupidest pieces of dogdoo currently serving as mayor of a large city.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Peduto is right up there with DeBlasio as one of the absolute stupidest pieces of dogdoo currently serving as mayor of a large city.

It sounds like we are talking about big cities just being, in general, liberal havens. There may be a few exceptions, maybe Democrat haven is a better word.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Almost every state, maybe not Massachusetts and Hawaii but most of the others have red rural areas but then, the cities go blue. Too bad. So, I would not have it in particularly for Pittsburgh.

Online goatprairie

I seriously doubt the great bulk of the population of most major blue cities  give a rats rear end about global warming.  If you asked many or most residents of major blue cities  what the Paris Accords were, you'd get a blank stare.
What they want from their mostly corrupt Dem mayors is more  tax-payer freebies.  Keeping the gravy train going is the only thing that matters to them.  They couldn't care less about global warming. 

Offline Just_Victor

"The United States joins Syria, Nicaragua & Russia in deciding not to participate with world's Paris Agreement. It's now up to cities to lead,"

Silly me.  I always thought that leadership was NOT following the crowd over a cliff.
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline andy58-in-nh

Pennsylvania is a wonderful state that would be made almost infinitely more wonderful by slicing off Philadelphia and Pittsburgh.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Suppressed

Ah, Pittsburgh.  Probably the dumbest city in the nation controlled by the dumbest politicians on earth, elected by the dumbest voters anywhere.

About a dozen years ago, I went to a conference in Pittsburgh with a tour of "redevelopment" areas.  Someone asked how long before the investment would break even, with the new revitalization.  The quizzical look and answer from the city person told so much.  They had no intention that the money would be a true investment with payoff...it was just a jobs program while the redevelopment was being done.  At state and federal taxpayer expense.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline mountaineer

Pennsylvania is a wonderful state that would be made almost infinitely more wonderful by slicing off Philadelphia and Pittsburgh.
Exactly. The state is comprised of Pittsburgh, Philadelphia - and sanity.

Offline Frank Cannon

Pitt, Philthy, Allentown, Scranton. All places that are losing population and are dying because no one wants to live in high tax sewers. Let this Mayor go into the Hill District and tell the brothers that they need to cut their EIB and Section 8 so that they can give the money to the UN so that places like Honduras can get it.

Offline Suppressed

Re: Pittsburgh mayor hits back after Trump invokes city in climate speech
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2017, 01:18:07 pm »
Pitt, Philthy, Allentown, Scranton. All places that are losing population and are dying because no one wants to live in high tax sewers. Let this Mayor go into the Hill District and tell the brothers that they need to cut their EIB and Section 8 so that they can give the money to the UN so that places like Honduras can get it.

Note how your map shows that Scranton went GOP, and Harrisburg is deep blue.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2017, 01:22:21 pm »
Looks like the counties with large universities, e.g., Penn State, went blue. Quelle surprise.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2017, 01:46:01 pm »
I assume Peduto approves. He even may attend.
JUN3
MARCH for Truth: Pittsburgh
Public · Hosted by Tracy Baton and 4 others

Tomorrow at 11 AM - 12:30 PM
    Tomorrow · 61–81° Mostly Sunny

City County Building, Pittsburgh, PA 15219, United States

On Saturday, June 3rd, the people of Pittsburgh and Western Pensylvania will rise with Indivisible Pittsburgh and the Women's March of Pittsburgh along with activists, and concerned citizens will gather all over the country to #MarchForTruth and demand that key components of our democracy are maintained. We want to know that our country is being protected and that the truth is respected.

We will gather at the portico of the City-County building and march into Market Square. We will have speakers and more. Please come. We are putting this together quickly. If your organization wants to help please, message @IndivisiblePittsburgh.

Speakers: TBA

Specifically, our goals include:

1. A special prosecutor must be named, an independent commission must be established, and Congressional investigations should be properly resourced and pursued free of partisan interests;

2. As much information should be made available to the public as possible, and as soon as possible;

3. Congress should require Donald Trump to release his tax returns to clarify his business interests and obligations to any foreign entity;

4. If crimes were committed or if collusion is discovered, it must be prosecuted.

Note: By choosing to attend this event, you are acknowledging the risks involved, and you are committing to participate nonviolently and in accordance with the law, and to work to de-escalate confrontations with opposing persons or others. You agree (i) not to engage in any act of violence or violation of any applicable law and (ii) to obey the orders of authorized event marshals and law enforcement authorities.
From Facebook "MARCH for Truth: Pittsburgh"

Offline Applewood

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2017, 02:14:15 pm »
I assume Peduto approves. He even may attend.From Facebook "MARCH for Truth: Pittsburgh"

He probably will.  He's been a fixture at all those other commie rallies, such as the ones for a $15 an hour minimum wage. 

Peduto, like most politicians in the Pittsburgh area, is owned by the unions.  And of course, these unions have some kind of relationship with every other subversive group, like so-called women's rights, LGBTQRSTUVWXYZ and of course, Black Lives Matter.  So naturally, Peduto is all for whatever their cause du jour might be.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2017, 02:14:23 pm »
Note how your map shows that Scranton went GOP, and Harrisburg is deep blue.

That was the best map I could find. Scranton proper went Rat even though Lackawanna county went narrowly GOP. 

I did forget about Harrisburg, but it is a very forgettable bankrupt shithole.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2017, 02:21:08 pm »
About a dozen years ago, I went to a conference in Pittsburgh with a tour of "redevelopment" areas.  Someone asked how long before the investment would break even, with the new revitalization.  The quizzical look and answer from the city person told so much.  They had no intention that the money would be a true investment with payoff...it was just a jobs program while the redevelopment was being done.  At state and federal taxpayer expense.

The mayor just ran for re-election, and of course, he touted all the jobs he was creating and/or bringing back to Pittsburgh.  Of course, like his idol, Obama, Peduto did not mention that these jobs are all seasonal, temporary and/or part-time.  As you said, Peduto and the other Dem politicians around here love to take taxpayer money, pour it down  a rabbit hole, then convince gullible voters that they actually did something positive for the city.  They even give it a pleasant sounding name like "redevelopment."