Author Topic: This Farmer Won’t Host Same-Sex Weddings at His Orchard. Now a City Has Banned Him From Its Farmers Market.  (Read 976 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
http://dailysignal.com/2017/05/31/this-farmer-wont-host-same-sex-weddings-on-his-orchard-now-a-city-has-banned-him-from-the-farmers-market/

by Fred Lucas
May 31, 2017

It started when Steve Tennes, who owns a 120-acre farm in Charlotte, Michigan, expressed his traditional view about marriage on the farm’s Facebook page.

This drew a warning from an official more than 20 miles away in East Lansing, Michigan, that if Tennes tried to sell his fruit at the city’s farmers market, it could incite protests.

No one showed up to protest that August day last summer, though, and Tennes continued selling organic apples, peaches, cherries, and pumpkins at the seasonal market until October, as he had done the six previous years.

Nevertheless, East Lansing moved earlier this year to ban Tennes’ farm, the Country Mill, from participating in the farmers market when it resumes June 4. The city cited its human relations ordinance, an anti-discrimination law that includes sexual orientation.

So Tennes and his wife sued the city for religious discrimination.

(excerpt)
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Part of the reply:

East Lansing, the complaint says, “has no authority to enforce its ordinance based on Tennes’ religious beliefs and their impact on how he operates Country Mill.” The farm, it says, is 22 miles outside the city.

The lawsuit also notes that the city has not taken action against a vendor that promoted same-sex marriage.
Therefore, the City is using "official policy" to push an agenda to the exclusion of other beliefs.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

Part of the reply:
Therefore, the City is using "official policy" to push an agenda to the exclusion of other beliefs.

YEP.
Discrimination under the color of law. No doubt about it.

Offline mountaineer

Part of the reply:
And, possibly, to try to prohibit the free exercise of religion.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Wingnut

I'd look at the east Lansing city council and their significant others to find a clue to why this is being enforced.

Mayor Pro Tem Ruth Beier
Personal
Partner – Terry Scharf
Four children:  Christopher, Amy, Patrick, Judy
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 01:26:01 pm by Wingnut »

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
From what I understand,  this farmer has never violated the law in East Lansing.   He's sold his produce at the city's farmers market to all customers, regardless of race, orientation, etc.   The City is bullying him over his business of renting his farm - many miles from East Lansing - as a setting for wedding ceremonies.

Based on the facts as I understand them,  I support the farmer.  This is petty fascism at its finest.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline mountaineer

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org